Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TSS vs. hrTSS
Quote | Reply
So, starting to use Trainingpeaks on the way back from being dreadfully slow to only moderately slow.

I'm finding a really strange bit (which would imply that I don't know what I'm talking about) regarding TSS vs. hrTSS.

Two examples:

ride this morning on Zwift had a TSS of 62 for a 40 minute ride with an average HR of 149 - MHR is just over 200. hrTSS was 42, and I think probably more realistic.

run last night was a huge divergence in 30 mins for 62 TSS and 26 hrTSS. Average HR under 150 as well, running average 5:20 min/km pace. Although I've tried to re-set running as threshold of 4:45 min/km based on a rough estimation of threshold from my last 5k of 22.30, it doesn't seem to have percolated through.

Seems like the current setup is hugely overstating the TSS I'm getting. Based on this, I'd be looking at what I think is an 80% bike effort giving 100+ TSS, and 75% run giving about 120.
Quote Reply
Re: TSS vs. hrTSS [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe your FTP is not set correctly? Do you have a power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: TSS vs. hrTSS [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep - although it's Stages and might not be correct, although it seems to accord with the Wattbike and I calibrate regularly.

Perhaps FTP test time

Tack!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I do not use TP, so do not know how they calculate hrTSS, but I guess it is similar process to TSS, replacing power meter output with HR output, and then comparing to FTP equivalent ?

Ride :
I suppose you use power meter calibrated, and HR band.
Is "power FTP" coherent with "HR equivalent" ?

Run
power meter ? power FTP ? HR equivalent for FTP ?
Quote Reply
Re: TSS vs. hrTSS [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think you would need to set up HR zones for hrTSS. If it's calculated too high or low then an adjustment to HR may be needed.

That would imply hrTSS is equivalent to TSS from power which it probably isn't.

I've use hrTSS for my mountain bike training during the last 2 years. While I put in hard miles/hours riding the mountain bike, my bike CTL steadily declines through the summer compared to summers on the road bike with nearly the same riding hours. That probably indicates my threshold HR isn't set correctly.

Edit: TSS to CTL
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 16, 18 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: TSS vs. hrTSS [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point on that.

My HR zones might not be totally appropriate, as they are based on my old rowing testing, but they were reasonably static across 10+ years of testing. Not quite that fit now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
ride this morning on Zwift had a TSS of 62 for a 40 minute ride with an average HR of 149 - MHR is just over 200. hrTSS was 42, and I think probably more realistic.

run last night was a huge divergence in 30 mins for 62 TSS and 26 hrTSS. Average HR under 150 as well, running average 5:20 min/km pace. Although I've tried to re-set running as threshold of 4:45 min/km based on a rough estimation of threshold from my last 5k of 22.30, it doesn't seem to have percolated through.

That seems like a high TSS based on the time. If the 'zones' (FTP bike, min/mile run) are set pretty close to accurate, a TSS of about 40 per hour seems like a standard endurance ride. 60 is typically an endurance ride with some intervals. For run pacing, I feel like it's more common to see a higher TSS per hour, usually 65-80 depending on the session, and maybe a bit higher depending on the athlete.

Theoretically, an hourly TSS value of 100 is an all out TT or close to it.

For hrTSS, it seems like I've seen numbers that are +/-5 TSS depending on the athlete. That may seem like a pretty big difference, but again, it has been athlete dependent.

I've posted before that I'll typically use TPeaks as a guideline when scheduling and reviewing workouts, but I'll also modify the TSS values depending on the athlete comments, etc.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: TSS vs. hrTSS [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your ftp in the software is too low. Your power TSS was about on track for 100 in a full hour. Meaning 100% of ftp.

If your HR was only 150, I’d say the ftp guess is a solid amount low.
Quote Reply