Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Lionel is the best thing to happen to Triathlon as far as the Forum on Slowtwitch goes. I love Lionel, the dude is entertaining, engaging, charming, etc. but let's be real here, ask someone outside of the sport who Lionel Sanders is, and I'd be surprised if they knew who he was. The sport is 100% better with Lionel than without but I think that's as far as it goes... He's not transcending, yet.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hence the reason why I said he was the one who stood a chance of transcending the sport. I didn’t say he actually was.

Do people actually read posts on this forum or just see what they want to see?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
Do people actually read posts on this forum or just see what they want to see?

Nope, only read the Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan part.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
TRobTri wrote:
Sanders in Tri is like Peter Sagan in Road racing.

Not even close.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Touché :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
Any wonder why so few of the pros ever bother to come on here.

in my opinion, the reason more pros don't come on here is that some of them are intimidated. they don't understand their own sport. they can't explain how they ended up on the bike they ride; they know nothing about the position they ride; they are afraid to say they made their product choices because of the size of the check. and they have no intention of shoring up that weakness.

the reason the few pros who do come on here are here is that they do have that confidence. they can explain what they do, and why they do it. because of that, they do their sponsors great good, they are 5x more marketable than other pros, and they (rightly) get the deals.

now, i'll grant you, we've had some real asshole "experts" on here. i think cody beals and some others could've been treated better by a few of the "experts." i got tired of it too. so, we have a dozen fewer than we did 3mo ago.

but, jordan rapp (as one example) got very marketable very fast about a decade ago because he was willing to explain the reasons he did what he did. you're going to see more pros on here in the future. why? i spoke to 2 bike brands this morning. they just don't want pros who can't come on communities like this and transparently interact with their consumers.

two groups of people are entirely naive to the situations they're in: the asshole forum experts that don't have posting privileges here any longer; and the pros who don't know why they aren't getting the deals they aren't getting. or, why they just got dropped.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'm in agreement with you, but it's not an either/or; it's best to optimize both. I actually think he can make those swim improvements and I say this because of what Sebi did this year. I don't think people realize, Sebi had the swim of his career that was going to put him in a great spot if it wasnt for the flat and issues with the flat. Like he gapped LS this year, and I don't think that's happened at the big island since those 2 have been attached at the hip with the swims the past few years. Listening to LS, I think he saw good improvements in the swim and he realizes what got him his improvements. I think he was a broken man post Kona this year and is going to prescribe a system that gets his swim there.

Last year was actually the only year they have been even close in the swim. Kienle also had an even better swim in 2015 than this year so he's been way more solid in Kona overall. I'm sure Lionel can make good improvements but I think he might have more work ahead of him than Kienle did.

i agree but in fairness in wetsuit swims more often than not lionles has come out of the water with kienle since samorin last year. its sanders open water swim .
and kienle never got that consistency either for the swim , while always getting a bit better.
for both the spped of the others depends a lot . lionel had a solid swim the week before kona when he had more people around.

anyway finaicially canyon should work well for him and its a smart move by canyon. even in the biggest german forum he is easily the 3rd most talekd aobut athlete behing jan and sebastian.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Il Falco wrote:
Are you at all aware of the swim work he has already put in, and the commitment he has currently made, moving countries, re swimming?

Why do you think a new bike is incompatible with swimming faster?

I never said that. He just seems to be so open about addressing everything he is trying to change, I was simply wondering why no mention of the swim.
Apparently that means I have a fetish for him, and don't believe he should be able to work on his biking at all.......sigh.....

The swim was addressed in the previous video. He is moving to California to swim with Gerry Rodriguez. If you ask me, that's a much bigger change that switching bikes to a Canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Preliminary, but is he still on 165 cranks? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
This forum never ceases to amaze me.

"The Garneau is crap - he should be riding something different", he gets one of the fastest bikes, and easily the most successful bikes, and it's "well it's not the fastest, it's at least 0.77773256 watts slower than my polished turd on square wheels".

"His position's crap - he should get fitted by someone who knows what they're doing." He goes to IOG and it's "god his position could be better".

"He can't swim for sh*t." Goes to Kona, swims faster than he has previously and it becomes "he's still a sh*t swimmer and he should focus on that to the exclusion of everything else - who needs to seek improvements elsewhere - he's such an idiot"

"He's so stupid for going it alone". Ok, I'll engage with a series of coaches and advisers "God, you're stupid. You're doomed to fail as you'll never listen to them."

"Why are there so many Lionel Sanders threads - there are other triathletes you know". Oh, another Lionel Sanders thread, I know, i'll go on there and complain about it.

"It's great we've got an athlete who is engaging with the fans and sharing information about his daily life". "F**k you Talbot Cox, what you do is sh*t and I wish Lionel Sanders would focus more on improving than the stupid videos he does".

And before anyone comments, the irony of this is not lost on me. I am coming on the forum to complain about it.

My view.

Lionel is one of the best things to happen to the sport in a long time. He has more reach and appeal than anyone else. Even Jan. Canyon signing him was absolutely the right thing to do. He may not be the "best" but that's not what sells. Personality sells. Tiger Woods will still shift more stuff for his sponsors than pretty much the rest of the pro-golf field combined. Michael Jordan still sells more merch than most other basketball players. Lionel, in the triathlon world, is pretty much the only person who stands a chance of transcending the sport and attracting people from outside of the sport. For Canyon this is a no brainer.

For Lionel this is a no brainer. There is the obvious psychological benefit on being on the bike that the past 4 Kona winners have been on. If he's 2.36764 watts slower than the Scott Plasma, who gives a sh*t. That equates to about 0.1 mph in completely sterile conditions. The reality is that in the real world, he is now not giving anything up. Nowadays no one gains anything on the bike (in terms of aero - all the bikes are as good as the same), but there is stuff to be lost. He is not losing anything. That's a win. He can now focus on his swim without worrying about losing out on the bike.

And I'm pretty confident that his fit is a work in progress and is still better than almost anything 99.9% of people on here have got. Of course, I do forget that the forum is inhabited by a bunch of people who "Could be the best but for...".

This news is exciting (well, as exciting as news can get in the rather dull and sterile triathlon world) and has generated a lot of buzz. It wouldn't surprise me if Canyon have already made their investment back.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:
TRobTri wrote:
Sanders in Tri is like Peter Sagan in Road racing.

Not even close.

Not close at all
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [CanyonJay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Don't you worry... he's got something custom coming direct from global HQ in Koblenz, and I've got tracking on it. We'll let Lionel reveal that at his leisure, tho."

Hi Jay,

I am trying to put my hands (and feet) on an Inflite CF SLX 8.0 Pro Race - size Medium - could you please call in a favor from HQ for me? Thank you in advance!

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taylor Phinney
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
in my opinion, the reason more pros don't come on here is that some of them are intimidated. they don't understand their own sport. they can't explain how they ended up on the bike they ride; they know nothing about the position they ride; they are afraid to say they made their product choices because of the size of the check. and they have no intention of shoring up that weakness.

Well said... Putting yourself out there like Lionel does, and making yourself vulnerable to criticism is great for publicity.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The house cleaning has been noticed :) and very much appreciated. Thanks Dan.

Slowman wrote:
lbmxj560 wrote:

the reason the few pros who do come on here are here is that they do have that confidence. they can explain what they do, and why they do it. because of that, they do their sponsors great good, they are 5x more marketable than other pros, and they (rightly) get the deals.

now, i'll grant you, we've had some real asshole "experts" on here. i think cody beals and some others could've been treated better by a few of the "experts." i got tired of it too. so, we have a dozen fewer than we did 3mo ago.

but, jordan rapp (as one example) got very marketable very fast about a decade ago because he was willing to explain the reasons he did what he did. you're going to see more pros on here in the future. why? i spoke to 2 bike brands this morning. they just don't want pros who can't come on communities like this and transparently interact with their consumers.

two groups of people are entirely naive to the situations they're in: the asshole forum experts that don't have posting privileges here any longer; and the pros who don't know why they aren't getting the deals they aren't getting. or, why they just got dropped.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel might be entertaining in a Jerry Springer / Flavor Flav kind of way - but never once have I looked at anything Lionel has done or product he used and thought “that was a good idea - I need to do that or buy that.” In fact it’s the opposite.

I throughly enjoy the train wreck that is LS but do I think he will ever win Kona - absolutely not.

As a Canadian - it’s the same as being Maple Leaf fan ! They are fan favorites despite fucking up over and over. And yet Every year in August if you ask the fans they are going all the way.

So keep the videos coming and the threads filling the forums. They are wildly popular - as is he - but I question if anyone emulates or copies his training or equipment choices.

Truthfully I think he is addicted to overtraining and that got him some good results quickly - but now he has crossed over into chronic fatigue.

At this point he needs someone who can curb his over training tendencies. And not sure there is anyone he trusts enough to do that.

If you ever have worked with an addict he seems to act like the guy who says he has a problem but doesn’t need to go into therapy - he can do it himself by reading a book or watching a video. They still think they can control it. Only to end up back in the same place after making a few short term changes.

I hope I’m wrong but not betting on it.

"There may be men that can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontane
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [powerbarjunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow you don't seem Canadian at all

It's funny how you reacted considering this previous post you made about how the sport can support pro efforts more

quote powerbarjunkie]Someone said earlier that you need to find a way to get the AG athletes and fans more connected with the pros and the pro race. I say you put some of the money into marketing the pros - like for kona. Interviews every day leading up to the race (breakfast with Bob), articles on the website on each athlete - make it exciting and inspiring, , equipment profiles, training info, race course previews, set some rivalry between athletes - challenges/ throw downs/ bonuses for ... Leading wire to wire, etc. You could even offer some prises for the elite AG.
To get the value out of the pros it will have to be a joint effort between the pros and the race director to hype the race.
And maybe have the pros go after the AG race is over (or mostly over) so the AG can watch.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soooooo I may have a real dumb question.
Lionel appears to be using the zip Evo 110 extensions. I'm sure like tons of other people on this forum I run the same extension but I notice he has them installed so that they curve out at the ends.I was under the impression they were supposed to curve in i e he has them installed on the wrong side.OR
I HAVE BEEN RUNNING THEM BACKWARDS FOR A COUPLE YEARS.
Or it doesn't matter which way and its user preference.
Does anyone really have the answer to this.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is a Canadian supposed to sound ? Apologetic ? Not calling BS on something despite having a mouth full of it.

I’m just calling it like I see it. I’m not wishing him ill-will. If I’m wrong great ! I have no skin in the game. Just armchair QB ing like everyone else.

I don’t see how those two post contradict each other. I like the videos. I think they definitely bring attention and marketing appeal. And up the value pros bring to sponsors.

I just don’t trust LS choices - Charbot gate, Coach Barry, camel back, over training, starving himself before races, Gatorade only fueling, ...

I love what Talbot is doing with all the athletes he works with. I hope more get into it. I like getting to know the different personalities. Doesn’t mean I have to like them, like what they do, or how they do it, ..: that’s part of putting yourself out there. You can love him and everything he does - and I can not give a shit and just enjoy the drama. Everyone wins.

"There may be men that can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontane
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [powerbarjunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on one hand you suggest it would be nice for pros to have a spotlight for promotion and then when one tries you naysay and try to burn it at the stake.

Your beef seems to have been with barrie in the past and your eyes seem to have been rolling since despite sanders cutting ties and getting second at kona amongst others

Edited to add.. Pbj quote from the charbot thread :
"I've been around triathlon a long time and have had the "pleasure" to deal with Barrie a few times. Less then impressed every time.
To me he is like Don King. Preys on young naive up and comers.
He knew better - and was just covering his ass with the way he sought "approval".
He was/is the head of the Canadian national team and involved in tris for decades. Disgraceful.
This should be a wake up call to LS to move on. "
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Nov 17, 18 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be clear did you say that quote about Barry or did pb junkie?

Thanks,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Lionel appears to be using the zip Evo 110 extensions. I'm sure like tons of other people on this forum I run the same extension but I notice he has them installed so that they curve out at the ends.I was under the impression they were supposed to curve in i e he has them installed on the wrong side.OR

So it looks like it doesn't matter.
But it looks like most run them like Lionel.
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
3. Impressed with him destroying a very well known KOM in Palm Springs. OTOH, how do you not have your Garmin right? It’s not a big thing, but the guy keeps making rookie mistakes. At some point you’re no longer a rookie. We love you LS, but sheesh...

Turns out this caught the attention of Phil Gaimon who took the tramway KOM saying: "No beef with Lionel but I couldn't let a triathlete have tramway"

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: 11.16 Lionel's News [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Fishbum wrote:
Quote Reply

Prev Next