Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Significant Road Bike Upgrade? '12 Venge to '16 Venge Vias
Quote | Reply
I'm ready to upgrade my road bike, and I'm looking at replacing it with a lightly used bike from a coworker who is giving me an excellent deal. I want to be sure this will be a significant upgrade though, since I'll have to go through getting used to the new bike.

Current Bike
2012 Specialized S-WORKS Venge
Dura Ace 9000 groupset
FLO 30 Wheelset
Rim Brakes

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/S-Works-Venge-DA-Road-Bike-2012/N89

New Bike
2016 Specialized Venge Vias Pro Disc
Udi2 groupset
Roval Rapide CL64 disc, through axel
Disc Brakes

https://www.specialized.com/...o-disc-udi2/p/118690

My main reason for upgrading is just that I want something different, and I'm a perfectionist so I don't like the little scratches and paint chips I have on my bike currently.

Between selling my bike and buying the new one I'd have to bring $1400 to the table.
Is this a significant upgrade? Would you do it?
Quote Reply
Re: Significant Road Bike Upgrade? '12 Venge to '16 Venge Vias [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a good deal, but I really like the 2018 Venge a lot more than the Venge ViAS. Personally, I'd be tempted to generation-skip and wait for one of the new Venges to become available..
Quote Reply
Re: Significant Road Bike Upgrade? '12 Venge to '16 Venge Vias [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
That sounds like a good deal, but I really like the 2018 Venge a lot more than the Venge ViAS. Personally, I'd be tempted to generation-skip and wait for one of the new Venges to become available..

Yeah my issue is that the new Venge Pro is $8,000. That's twice the price of the Venge Vias Pro Disc that I'm looking at.
I do get 25% off Specialized bikes (new) so it's still $6,000+tax for the new Venge Pro, which is still $2,000 more than I'm looking to spend.

I agree though, the new Venge is gorgeous.
Quote Reply
Re: Significant Road Bike Upgrade? '12 Venge to '16 Venge Vias [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you considered the tarmac? Asking as I went from the Vias (rim version) to the new Tarmac and absolutely love it, and the disc pro is 6700 new. I loved racing the Vias but it was kind of a nightmare bike to own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I looked at the VIAS as an upgrade. to my gen 1 Venge. I decided on a Madone instead mostly because I liked the idea of the Isospeed softening the impact of all the frost cracks and chipseal on my local roads. I really like the Madone and I kind of forgot how nice it is to have a new'ish bike (I bought a new frame and moved most of my parts across). At 1600$ for the upgrade I think you would be nuts to let this deal go.

I had my Venge pretty well scienced out with very little exposed cable Zipp aero handlebar and EPS, but honestly my times on the Madone for my local 2x20 FTP route were faster than I expected given winter clothing and lower power output. My guess is that I have been paying a bigger aero loss for water bottles on the Venge than I suspected, because that frame does nothing to shield the water bottle while the Madone is probably pretty aero neutral with a water bottle.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Nov 16, 18 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Significant Road Bike Upgrade? '12 Venge to '16 Venge Vias [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ollie3856 wrote:
have you considered the tarmac? Asking as I went from the Vias (rim version) to the new Tarmac and absolutely love it, and the disc pro is 6700 new. I loved racing the Vias but it was kind of a nightmare bike to own.

I'm interested how the Vias was a nightmare bike to own. What issues did you have with it?
I wonder what the tangible differences are between the Venge and Tarmac. Tarmac = more compliant, Venge = more aero .. right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "upgrade" will be quite a bit heavier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty well known that the vias is a nightmare to work on, lots of proprietary, complicated stuff going on in the cockpit (disc much better than rim, but still not great). It's a bit of a dog too, heavy but fast...the new tarmac is as aero as your venge, amazingly light and just a fantastic bike to ride. I think that people perceive stiffness/compliance etc however they want (especially if it's new!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been through a lot of road bikes in the past two years.. I'm currently on more or less the same bike as you're looking at now, with zipp 303 instead of the Roval.. I must say it's the best road bike I've ridden to this date. It just feels faster, seem to "keep speed" more, very compliant/stiff yet more than enough comfortable with 25mm tires on the zipp's..The handling is fantastic. And it looks gorgeous. I really, really enjoy it.

For comparison, my previous bikes we're the Scott Foil Team Issue, Canyon CF SL Ultimate, Cervelo S5 and the Felt AR3.
Quote Reply
Re: Significant Road Bike Upgrade? '12 Venge to '16 Venge Vias [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeanV wrote:
The "upgrade" will be quite a bit heavier.

Yeah it looks like with the disc brakes it will end up being just over 1.5 lbs heavier than my current model. Are you saying this weight penalty outweighs the benefits (groupset, brakes, aero) to the point you wouldn't do it? Honest question.
Quote Reply