Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gas Fireplace: My Own Little Money Pit (or The Little Fireplace that Couldn't)
Quote | Reply
9 years ago I moved into a nice neighborhood that was a big step up from our old townhouse. Included with the modern kitchen, hardwood floors, and two car garage was a nice gas fireplace.

Well, less than 6 months after moving in, it ran out of gas. It took me 5 years to ever getting around to doing something about it, but here has been my experience over the last 4 years.

- Several calls and emails to have the gas guy never show up.
- Repeated this process a couple of years later.
- Mountain of paper work.
- Tank needs a new regulator.
- Logs need to be replace. Tank on its last legs.
- $300 on new logs turns into $1000 and and entire weekend.
- Installation requires several hours, yelling, and youtube videos
- A couple of years later the power in our house goes out (including heat) so we pull up next to the fireplace. It shuts off in a half an hour. Out of gas!
- Tanks has leak. Buy a new tank for $500.
- New person managing the account. Add another month of calls and emails.
- Can't have a tank next to a dryer vent. I have to pay to have a new line installed and move the tank.

And now.....I finally get the thing filled, and it fails its leak check.

I'm in for about $2K on this thing already, plus countless of hours of work. Is that what we call pot committed? How much to fix the leak?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Fireplace: My Own Little Money Pit (or The Little Fireplace that Couldn't) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
9 years ago I moved into a nice neighborhood that was a big step up from our old townhouse. Included with the modern kitchen, hardwood floors, and two car garage was a nice gas fireplace.

Well, less than 6 months after moving in, it ran out of gas. It took me 5 years to ever getting around to doing something about it, but here has been my experience over the last 4 years.

- Several calls and emails to have the gas guy never show up.
- Repeated this process a couple of years later.
- Mountain of paper work.
- Tank needs a new regulator.
- Logs need to be replace. Tank on its last legs.
- $300 on new logs turns into $1000 and and entire weekend.
- Installation requires several hours, yelling, and youtube videos
- A couple of years later the power in our house goes out (including heat) so we pull up next to the fireplace. It shuts off in a half an hour. Out of gas!
- Tanks has leak. Buy a new tank for $500.
- New person managing the account. Add another month of calls and emails.
- Can't have a tank next to a dryer vent. I have to pay to have a new line installed and move the tank.

And now.....I finally get the thing filled, and it fails its leak check.

I'm in for about $2K on this thing already, plus countless of hours of work. Is that what we call pot committed? How much to fix the leak?

1 spray bottle of soapy water, pipe dope and 2 pipe wrenches?
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Fireplace: My Own Little Money Pit (or The Little Fireplace that Couldn't) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to go with a fake fire you may as well go full fake.

https://www.walmart.com/...Logs-Black/622222338

You could set that one right in the middle of the living room, or even take it into the bedroom for super sexy time.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no idea you would have a gas fireplace with a tank. I thought you had to have natural gas run to the house. Interesting.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Fireplace: My Own Little Money Pit (or The Little Fireplace that Couldn't) [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would have saved me about $2k.

Quote Reply
Re: Gas Fireplace: My Own Little Money Pit (or The Little Fireplace that Couldn't) [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I had no idea you would have a gas fireplace with a tank. I thought you had to have natural gas run to the house. Interesting.

You can buy or rent oversized propane tanks that sit out in the yard and a gas line runs to the home. This is very common in the country where there might not be natural gas along the road. We had one that we leased for $99 a year plus cost of a fill up. Guy came out each November and filled it up for the winter. Wifey could burn the logs 24/7 if she liked (and nearly did).

Next time you are in a rural area, you will see them. The tanks often look like this:

Quote Reply
Re: Gas Fireplace: My Own Little Money Pit (or The Little Fireplace that Couldn't) [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How quickly do you run through propane burning logs? Any idea?

I was running out fairly quickly last year, but I think it was due to a leaky tank.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't recall the size we had....maybe 120-150 pounds. And of course they don't fill it, maybe 80%.
We never ran out. We would go through a lot initially and it would get below 50%. But that would still take 45-50 days. I live in the south so we have about 50-60 truly cold days where we ran the logs for an extended period. By March we just used it on those cold mornings or drafty days.

Regarding your predicament, I'd suggest you go with whichever (gas or natural) provides you the most comfort. I could never build a really hot fire using wood. And then I was the only one who kept it alive. I swear I could go take a shower or put the kid to bed and return to a dying fire and three people looking at me as if the concept of putting on another log was a burden. So I wanted out of the fire building process and into the remote control, instant warmth game.
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Fireplace: My Own Little Money Pit (or The Little Fireplace that Couldn't) [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was doing some research. I saw that the pilot will allegedly burn a 4 pounds every 6 days. I'm thinking I may want to keep the pilot off until I need it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well now I'm going to go and read a book by the fire. I don't even want to, but I sure as hell am going to!

Quote Reply
Re: Gas Fireplace: My Own Little Money Pit (or The Little Fireplace that Couldn't) [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my last home, I had a wood burning fireplace with gas to light it. Used it once in 30 years.

Now I have a ventless gas fireplace. Flip a light switch on the side and it lights up. Nice. I use it all winter. We use natural gas but even in the winter the bill is nominal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an actual fireplace. One you can put logs in and burn.

Of course, I only ever use those "logs" that you buy in a 6 pack at the grocery store.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Was doing some research. I saw that the pilot will allegedly burn a 4 pounds every 6 days. I'm thinking I may want to keep the pilot off until I need it.

That could be part of the issue. We did blow out the pilot at the end of cold season and relight it in late fall. That seems a bit high based on my prior usage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone here have any experience converting a wood burning fireplace into a gas fireplace? Just bought a new (old) house and while I like the idea of wood burning, I have to be honest with myself in accepting I likely won't utilize it as-is due to the additional steps required (storing wood, keeping it dry in Portland, etc.). Lazy, I know. A simple gas switch would be ideal as my previous home had it and I utilized it all the time.

Any tips or things to consider before I go down this route?

Thanks!
Quote Reply