Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Frankfurt - 2019 bike course
Quote | Reply
Hello. I have signed up for Ironman Frankfurt in 2019. Can anyone give any advice/tips on the course? I understand it was long last year (185km) due to roadworks. However I have seen reference to the course being 185km again this year. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt - 2019 bike course [mattsimmonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, are you kidding me?
I will ofcourse do it anyway, but how can the EU champs 2-3 years in a row be 5km too long?
Lets hope they fix it in time. Went to their webpag at it says 185 also when you click the link which says 2019 route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't confirm, but talk in the German triathlon forums seems to indicate that indeed, it will be 185km this year again since the roadworks responsible for this year's detour are planned to continue for another year.

The extra 5km are absolutely not required. The course has a short out-and-back in Friedberg (northern end of the loop) with several roundabouts on it which can definitely be skipped - but I assume are kept there fore sponsor obligations.

On a personal note, the course was pretty neat. It's not fast, with an extra ~400-500m of climbing compared to the old course, but engaging. I'm signed up again...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt - 2019 bike course [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
how can the EU champs 2-3 years in a row be 5km too long?

You mean unlike most other courses that are short but no one seems to mind?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt - 2019 bike course [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
I can't confirm, but talk in the German triathlon forums seems to indicate that indeed, it will be 185km this year again since the roadworks responsible for this year's detour are planned to continue for another year.

The extra 5km are absolutely not required. The course has a short out-and-back in Friedberg (northern end of the loop) with several roundabouts on it which can definitely be skipped - but I assume are kept there fore sponsor obligations.

On a personal note, the course was pretty neat. It's not fast, with an extra ~400-500m of climbing compared to the old course, but engaging. I'm signed up again...

What is the max grade at this race?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt - 2019 bike course [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe ~4-5% for short pitches. No "big climbs" (in my opinion), but there are three main ones:
  • "The Beast" - about 20-25km into the ride, nothing special.
  • "The Hell" - cobbled, ~30km into the ride. The cobbles hurt more than the terrain, I thought I wouldn't have to shift out of the big ring but the cobbles slow you down a lot. Anything not solidly bolted onto the bike can and will be dropped.
  • "Heartbreak Hill" - near the end, straight downhill to the finish from there. Slightly longer than the others but less steep. Pretty nice atmosphere.

All in all, the names are a bit over-dramatic (well, The Hell really does beat you up - Josh Amberger lost his entire rear bottle assembly last year) but it's more rolling hills than proper climbs.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt - 2019 bike course [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! This will be useful for cassette/chainring selection. So it isn't anything like Heartbreak hill in Switzerland? That one needed every bit of a 36 chainring and 28t cog. Funny how every course uses the same names for hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt - 2019 bike course [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The naming is pretty unoriginal, yeah. I raced with a 52/36 and 11-28 simply because it's my default but I don't think I used anything bigger than the 23 or 21 in the back.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a video from the lead moto from the 2014 bike course:

https://www.youtube.com/...ed&v=J9S65191l-U

Looks like the main difference to previous years is the out-and-back near Friedback. I doubt this would add 400-500m of elevation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race last year and it turned out to be a very hot day (3rd time there). Maybe this year will be milder since it's a week earlier. That extra 5k is pretty annoying and it's not flat. I remember there was a head wind and false flat, maybe you make up some time on the way back b/c it's slightly downhill. I know it's "only" 5k extra, but seems to throw you off a bit. Hope they take it away soon!
Quote Reply