Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is my LBS ripping me off? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Amen X 2

My LBS charges $1000 for their premium "Dura Ace" bicycle service. It consists of things I can comfortably do in my basement in an hour or two. I take pause at the thought of (1) a shop justifying the price of this service, and (2) that there are people who will pay it.

$1000?! What did it include?

My shop’s total overhaul is $200 labor plus any parts. It’s a bare frame overhaul.

$1000 - I would excpect

- new Dura Ace level Chain, cassette, and chainrings
- new top level cables
- new pullies on the rear mech
- new BB bearings (bb 30 and BB90 bare bearings are cheap in the grand scheme of things,
- new hub bearings.
- strip to the bare frame and rebuild
Quote Reply
Re: Is my LBS ripping me off? [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBB1975 wrote:
beston wrote:
Amen X 2

My LBS charges $1000 for their premium "Dura Ace" bicycle service. It consists of things I can comfortably do in my basement in an hour or two. I take pause at the thought of (1) a shop justifying the price of this service, and (2) that there are people who will pay it.

$1000?! What did it include?

My shop’s total overhaul is $200 labor plus any parts. It’s a bare frame overhaul.

$1000 - I would excpect

- new Dura Ace level Chain, cassette, and chainrings
- new top level cables
- new pullies on the rear mech
- new BB bearings (bb 30 and BB90 bare bearings are cheap in the grand scheme of things,
- new hub bearings.
- strip to the bare frame and rebuild

No matter how you look at it, the price is silly and a great example of how shops take advantage of people's lack of time, lack of repair skills, but deep pockets.

...I don't want to limit this bicycles. I can do simple jobs on my car (e.g. changing brake rotors and pad) for about 1/3 of the price of most mechanics in the area, all using Rock Auto's premium performance (most expensive) parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my LBS ripping me off? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
cholla wrote:
$1,000.00??? Even for 24 hour rush turnaround service with pickup and delivery, I assume this comes with an attractive person to keep you company?
Break it down... (First, that is $1,000 CAD, not USD.)
It is the "Dura Ace service. So, when it says new cassette & chain that implies DA components. That is something like $460 CAD in parts. Then assume that it will include new handlebar tape & cables, that is another ~$150-ish in parts. So, the parts are roughly $610 of the incremental $750 CAD. It is still high, but not absurdly high. That does not leave much room for the labor, pickup & delivery costs, and premium for immediate service.

I would not pay it, but you can make a case that there is legitimate value for someone who needs a total bike tune-up & major parts replacement overnight.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my LBS ripping me off? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looking at that link, they have 3 levels of service - 105 level is $105, followed by ultegra and the DA. I'm guessing that they price the Dura Ace level as such because it is also freaking time consuming, they don't really want to be doing that level of service all the time. So they price it so that most will go for the 105 and Ultegra levels.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Is my LBS ripping me off? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Break it down... (First, that is $1,000 CAD, not USD.)
It is the "Dura Ace service. So, when it says new cassette & chain that implies DA components. That is something like $460 CAD in parts. Then assume that it will include new handlebar tape & cables, that is another ~$150-ish in parts. So, the parts are roughly $610 of the incremental $750 CAD. It is still high, but not absurdly high. That does not leave much room for the labor, pickup & delivery costs, and premium for immediate service.

I would not pay it, but you can make a case that there is legitimate value for someone who needs a total bike tune-up & major parts replacement overnight.

The cost of parts seems inflated...
DA cassette = $176CAD
DA chain = $52CAD
Cable/Housing (gear) (brakes) = $48CAD
Fancy Fizik Bar Tape = $33CAD

Grand total for parts = $309CAD
Remainder of cost to cover service = $691CAD ...I think that there's enough wiggle room in there to cover the labour, pickup, & delivery costs;).

I get it that there is a segment of the population who have the means to pay for such services and may need the fast turn-around time. Those people are simply in a different stratosphere of spending than me, and quite frankly, likely earning power. I simply would not consider this as a worth while service, ...But to each their own.
Quote Reply

Prev Next