Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cobb short cranks
Quote | Reply
Why do we not show more love for Cobb cranks? I don't own one but am giving thought to buying one but didn't no if there's something I'm missing. I'm running some custom cut bikesmith cranks I really like them but need something with 130 BCD.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb short cranks [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously you're limited to pedal or hub based power, but otherwise I find they're often suggested as the best option for modern bottom brackets. Origin8 and other BMX make it easy but afaik Cobb is the best/most available non-power option south of 165mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My partner has Cobb cranks on her road bike. They're fine and it's a niche that needs more manufacturers, but for the money they're pretty simple. FSA Gossamer level cranks at a premium price... For her TT bike we went with Rotor 3D+ and a power-meter.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb short cranks [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed, I had some of the very first ones... they were basically SHUN cranks re branded. Nothing wrong with that particularly, just is what it is.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Nov 15, 18 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m looking into getting shorter cranks, and I didn’t even know Cobb offered them. Thanks for the heads up. Price is reasonable and there’s a good selection of lengths and gears.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb short cranks [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they're GXP standard, which is 24mm on one side and 22mm on the other (whereas Shimano is 24mm on both sides) so that would explain why there was play with a Dura Ace BB. On a SRAM BB there's no play.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them on my TT bike. As far as quality I haven’t been able to tell the difference between Cobb, Shimano, FSA.
It’s a crank. You push on it and the rings go round and around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
I think they're GXP standard, which is 24mm on one side and 22mm on the other (whereas Shimano is 24mm on both sides) so that would explain why there was play with a Dura Ace BB. On a SRAM BB there's no play.

Ahh duh. Haha that's how long it's been since I used a gxp! Right you are, thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Cobb short cranks [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a $289 crank. That's more than hollow-forged Ultegra, several carbon options, etc. For a solid-construction type crank, that's quite a bit of money.

Not that it's a big deal from a performance point of view, but there are better value-for-money propositions on the market.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb short cranks [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I’m looking into getting shorter cranks, and I didn’t even know Cobb offered them. Thanks for the heads up. Price is reasonable and there’s a good selection of lengths and gears.

Take a look at bikesmithdesign.
I have one from them and it nice for what it is. I may do another one since I don't have a PM on this bike and I'm not sure I want to spend rotor type money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
It's a $289 crank. That's more than hollow-forged Ultegra, several carbon options, etc. For a solid-construction type crank, that's quite a bit of money.

Not that it's a big deal from a performance point of view, but there are better value-for-money propositions on the market.

I get that but there aren’t too many options if you want 155 or 145 cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:

That's very close to what I paid for a set of Rotor 3D+ cranks.
I assume the Rotor cranks are lighter and they allow use of a spider power meter which was a big part of my decision to use them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb short cranks [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does rotor still make the 3D?
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb short cranks [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here are the SHUN, down to 140mm. Finding them might be a pain though. On ebay they're selling around $100 new(although longer crankarms)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Does rotor still make the 3D?

Yes, they just jigged the names around:

3D -> 3D24 (for "24mm axle" - Shimano standard)
3DF -> 3D30 (for "30mm axle")
3D+ remains the same.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply