Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed Jets and cold temps
Quote | Reply
I'm an apartment dweller, resigned to storing bikes in my front closet, which while still indoors, can get quite cold in wintertime (upstate NY, so temps below zero during some winter nights and sustained sub 20 degrees for days possibly as its wall borders outside). Heat from the apartment doesn't really penetrate into it unless I open the door (not always feasible).

Possibly stupid question but should I be concerned about having my hed jet wheels in there, or any other bike components, for long peiods of time due to the cold? I mention the wheels specifically since theyre the most expensive component i have and with the carbon only a fairing, a bit different than most carbon wheels. I'd say it could get down to 40 or 30 degrees or less in that closet. Keep in mind thatd be for mamy hours, maybe even days on end if I'm not home cranking the heat or opening the closet door to let warm air in...any reason to worry?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jets and cold temps [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They'll be just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheels themselves should be fine. Check the tires before you ride next Spring for dry rot. Even if you find some, they're probably fine, but be aware it might happen.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep some air pumped in them. The tubes and tires themselves will fare a lot better being stored in the extremes pumped up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact they are alloy rims mean the structural elements certainly shouldn't have any problems.
Carbon shouldn't have any issue either. the only mechanism for a problem that i can think of is if a carbon component was defective or damaged and wet such that there is water within the carbon weave or laminations. Then if the water were to freeze it could potentially spread the damage. I think that's very unlikely to happen but won't matter anyway when the carbon is non-structural as it is in the HEDs. The properties of rubber and grease may change at low temperatures but not so much as to be a problem - we do all ride at low temperatures anyway don't we? As mentioned by others, it's the risk of mold or corrosion due to damp conditions that is more likely to be an issue than the temperature itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will be fine. I have ridden Jets in as cold as at least 10 below (american) . Winter cold will not have any effect.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jets and cold temps [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is some hardcore field testing! (I assume a ride in minus 10F was not for fun!)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Love my HEDs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Product testing and getting to work have some overlap. Lucky now we have fat bike wheels - with those sometimes it is faster to ride than trying to drive.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply