Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear disc conversion 9 to 11
Quote | Reply
 I have a Zipp 900 rear disc with a nine speed cassette. Is there way I can convert it to a 11 speed? Has anyone done this?
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc conversion 9 to 11 [ret123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are a few ways to do that; the most reliable is to buy the campy free hub body for your wheel and install a campy 11s cog set
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found Lasco Concept Inc in Montreal,Qc. The owner is a cyclist and his company does metalwork. Bought 2 ultegtra cassetes. Work fine on my Zipp 900.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swap the free hub to Campy, an 11 speed will work fine on it. Campy freehubs fit 9-12 speed Campy cassettes, a 9 speed Shimano shouldn’t be but a mm or so off..there are no shift issues when using Campy-Shimano, some might consider it blasphemy mixing those two but it will work.
Last edited by: mike s: Nov 14, 18 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My father has a neighbour with a lathe. He used (the lathe) to shave off 1.8mm off the back of an 11s Ultegra cassette. Worked perfectly with an otherwise 10s compatible flat disc (RENN). Here's a video of how it's done.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc conversion 9 to 11 [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will work or not depending on how much spoke clearance existed with the 9spd setup, since you are adding the extra cassette width towards the CL of the wheel. A well designed hub that spaced the DS flange outboard as much as possible would not have clearance, but it will work on some hubs. If not, then adding a 1-2mm axle spacer on the DS side might do the trick (effectively making the axle 1-2mm longer).

An alternative to machining the cassette is to machine the freehub to allow cassettes to slide on farther.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc conversion 9 to 11 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
This will work or not depending on how much spoke clearance existed with the 9spd setup, since you are adding the extra cassette width towards the CL of the wheel. A well designed hub that spaced the DS flange outboard as much as possible would not have clearance, but it will work on some hubs. If not, then adding a 1-2mm axle spacer on the DS side might do the trick (effectively making the axle 1-2mm longer).

An alternative to machining the cassette is to machine the freehub to allow cassettes to slide on farther.

It's a zipp 900, so spoke clearance is a non issue in this case.

Your alternative suggestion is worse than machining the cassette. Unlike the cassette, there's not a lot of material at the end of those light aluminum Zipp freehubs, so taking off 1.8mm of material is going to weaken the freehub body (see 2nd post in this thread).

If machining parts doesn't seem appealing to the OP, here are some viable alternatives.
- (no cost) Convert 11s cassette to a 10s using the following procedure
- If the zipp 900 was produced after 2011, there may be an option to upgrade the freehub body directly from Zipp.
- If produced before 2011, there is an eBay seller (not Zipp) who has a conversion freehub.
- Buy an Edeco conversion cassette or Rotor Uno cassette that are 11s AND fit on to 10s freehub bodies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:

Yes, but the carbon disc is surely an equivalent issue? I suspect it will work, but the OP would need to measure the derailleur clearance he has now, and see if he can move it ~5mm inboard. The cassette width difference is ~3.6mm.

This is the 11spd version.

Yes, machining the freehub could weaken it. If the conversion freehub will work, that's easy and not too expensive. But doesn't it look like about what you'd get by machining a 9spd freehub? Thinking the machined 11 spd cassette would be the better option, if there is clearance.

Last edited by: rruff: Nov 15, 18 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
beston wrote:

Yes, but the carbon disc is surely an equivalent issue? I suspect it will work, but the OP would need to measure the derailleur clearance he has now, and see if he can move it ~5mm inboard. The cassette width difference is ~3.6mm.

This is the 11spd version.

Yes, machining the freehub could weaken it. If the conversion freehub will work, that's easy and not too expensive. But doesn't it look like about what you'd get by machining a 9spd freehub? Thinking the machined 11 spd cassette would be the better option, if there is clearance.

Carbon vs. Spoke. ...It's not the material that is important, but rather the shape. Old Zipp 900disc is 'flat', thereby leaving more clearance from the cassette than you'd normally see with spokes normally would. But yes, measuring should always be recommended. The cassette is only moving 1.8mm inboard, not the full 3.6mm.

Machining the hub. It's a known problem to machine the freehub body on these Zipps, so I can't see how that's a good option in the long run. The cassette lathing is definitely the better option and has worked well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Carbon vs. Spoke. ...It's not the material that is important, but rather the shape. Old Zipp 900disc is 'flat', thereby leaving more clearance from the cassette than you'd normally see with spokes normally would. But yes, measuring should always be recommended. The cassette is only moving 1.8mm inboard, not the full 3.6mm.

I didn't realize the old ones were flat, that should help. Why wouldn't the cassette move the full amount inboard? You're constrained by the dropout on the other side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 very flat and old early 20o0's
Last edited by: ret123: Nov 15, 18 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What I do know is that 11s freehub bodies are 1.8mm longer than their 10s counterpart. As such, cassettes (or freehubs) are lathed, only 1.8mm of material need to be removed. GPLama has a pretty good video abut the logic of this process here.

I've never actually measured the width of 11s vs. 10s cassettes and come to think of it, I'm not sure where you're coming up with the 3.6mm measurement. I've searched the internet and can only see that 11s cassettes are 1.85mm wider than 10s. (source)

[inline "Shimano 9 & 10 Speed Cassette Compatibility With 11 Speed Freehub.jpg"]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of room back there. If it's from the early 2000, there's likely nothing you can do about the freehub body. I'd assume that your only option is to buy a cassette that's been lathed out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ret123 wrote:
I have a Zipp 900 rear disc with a nine speed cassette. Is there way I can convert it to a 11 speed? Has anyone done this?

Aren't 9spd and 10spd hubs the same width? If they are, then the Rotor cassette–while expensive–should work just fine on the 9/10spd hub.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The OP said he was on 9spd. 11spd cassettes are 3.6mm wider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the freehub body dimension that is important in this case.

Simply put, an 8,9,10 speed cassette will all fit on to the same freehub body. The difference in width between them is irrelevant (for our purpose here)

An 11 speed cassette requires a longer freehub body as the 11s cassette is 1.85mm longer those older generation freehub bodies were designed to handle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
It's the freehub body dimension that is important in this case.

If you don't need to worry about derailleur clearance, or cassette clearance on the hub, that's right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The short answer is, yes, many people have done this. But there are a few ways to approach this, some are quite expensive, some are reasonable, and some are even free. If it helps, we have a short write up about how to apply the free and inexpensive solutions here:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No conversion of anything necessary. Buy an Edco Monoblock cassette. It's an 11 speed cassette that works on a Shimano 9/10 freehub. I have them on a couple of old wheels. They work flawlessly.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply