Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Core training and running (just sharing a bit of success)
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to share this to maybe help get people motivated to do their core/stability training:

Coming out of my off-season I focused on building up running frequency and slow base miles for the last 3-4 weeks.
I usually do that before introducing intensity again, mostly because I'm a little scared of the pain when not fit.

What I did additionally though: At least 3x/week I did a 20~40 min core-session with planks and hip raises/extensions (lying on my back knees at an angle, then raising hips and holding, sometimes single leg,...).

Just yesterday I did a couple of 1k efforts at threshold pace and the difference was clearly noticeable.
I felt the extension in my hips, I felt tall and I felt like I was driving my stride with my glutes rather than my thighs.
And I was easily ~15 secs /k (so about 20 secs/mi?) faster than usually during the season (whilst definitely not being at race-weight).

Because I didn't do any speed-work or threshold work, I mostly attribute the improvement to better posture and mechanics due to the core-stuff.
Maybe that effect is more pronounced if you previously have a weakness in that regard (I guess most of us wo spend their days sitting at a desk do).

so there you go: That stuff is boring but it does work...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Core training and running (just sharing a bit of success) [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you follow any specific core programs? I know this would certainly help me too!
Quote Reply
Re: Core training and running (just sharing a bit of success) [powpepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powpepper wrote:
Did you follow any specific core programs? I know this would certainly help me too!

I've started doing a random mishmash of core/strength, but an actual program would be better...
Quote Reply
Re: Core training and running (just sharing a bit of success) [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing, that is the type of success story I need to stay motivated with that type of stuff.

20 to 40 mins is a long session just doing core stuff. Could you share a bit more in terms of reps/sets for those excercises? Doing regular and side planks?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Core training and running (just sharing a bit of success) [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search "Running Rewired" (or buy the book!) and you'll get a few routines that you can put into practice.
Quote Reply
Re: Core training and running (just sharing a bit of success) [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Search "Running Rewired" (or buy the book!) and you'll get a few routines that you can put into practice.

Thanks - I'll check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
That stuff is boring but it does work...

Yeah it is, but it's sort of a necessity

The only "core work" I do is skateboarding and riding my bike no-handed, but I've been looking for something with a bit more structure so thanks for the input

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Core training and running (just sharing a bit of success) [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I'll share a similar success story- Last winter I didn't bike or swim at all, but I ran a lot and I did planks like crazy. When I hopped back on the bike in the spring I didn't have the usual aches and pains with getting down into the TT position and my power numbers were nearly where I left them in the fall. Additionally everything felt a lot smoother on the bike (admittedly subjective). As an added bonus, my first 70.3 of the year I put up my best swim time ever despite not having swam since the fall. (Not super impressive, it was still only in the 34-35 minute range I think.) but considering I hadn't swam a single time during the leadup to that, I have to attribute at least some of that to the core work even though most of it was probably due to just being in better shape overall.

My plan was stupid simple and started as a challenge with my friend. We did a 2 minute plank on new years day and added 5 seconds per day. After achieving ~5 min planks per day switched to every other day and added 10 seconds each time. Would also do a 1 minute side plank on each side. Eventually got it up to a 9 minute plank every other day (plus the two minutes of side planks). While I didn't keep this up during the season very much I think it was a great foundation for adding on heavy loads of training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
Just wanted to share this to maybe help get people motivated to do their core/stability training:

Coming out of my off-season I focused on building up running frequency and slow base miles for the last 3-4 weeks.
I usually do that before introducing intensity again, mostly because I'm a little scared of the pain when not fit.

What I did additionally though: At least 3x/week I did a 20~40 min core-session with planks and hip raises/extensions (lying on my back knees at an angle, then raising hips and holding, sometimes single leg,...).

Just yesterday I did a couple of 1k efforts at threshold pace and the difference was clearly noticeable.
I felt the extension in my hips, I felt tall and I felt like I was driving my stride with my glutes rather than my thighs.
And I was easily ~15 secs /k (so about 20 secs/mi?) faster than usually during the season (whilst definitely not being at race-weight).

Because I didn't do any speed-work or threshold work, I mostly attribute the improvement to better posture and mechanics due to the core-stuff.
Maybe that effect is more pronounced if you previously have a weakness in that regard (I guess most of us wo spend their days sitting at a desk do).

so there you go: That stuff is boring but it does work...

Good stuff.

Just so you don't mislead people into doing hours of planks or crunches or whatever, your gains are predominantly from activating and developing your glutes, not from your core. :-)
Quote Reply