Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you use iCloud Drive?
Quote | Reply
I have a Mac, iPhone, and iPad. I have never activated iCloud Drive. In fact, I never realized I was using iCloud at all, but, apparently, I am using a portion of the "free" 5 GB iCloud to back-up my apps and photos. It would be nice to have access to all updated docs/files across all my devices. Plus, it was nice setting up a new iPad and loading all the apps from my "free" 5 GB iCloud. But, I'm not sure I like the idea of having all my files "in the Cloud" and I'm not sure I like the idea of relying on the Cloud to save my stuff.

So, do you use the iCloud Drive? Do you back-up everything to the iCloud Drive? Is this a back-up drive, meaning the files are still on my computer, but, a back-up is on the iCloud Drive, or, are the files no longer physically on my computer hard drive?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Do you use iCloud Drive? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have iCloud for my video & photo's however I also use MS Office for work so I have One Drive as an added feature. As a result I have redundant back ups of my photo's & videos.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you use iCloud Drive? [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you use iCloud, is the photo/video only on the iCloud drive as a back up, or, is the file no longer physically saved on your computer hard drive?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
When you use iCloud, is the photo/video only on the iCloud drive as a back up, or, is the file no longer physically saved on your computer hard drive?

You can do either (keep it on your HD or not). I have iCloud. I also put my photos in my Amazon Prime area.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Do you use iCloud Drive? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have iCloud. It's on but I have no idea how to use it. I have almost no pictures on my phone so I don't care. My daughter on the other hand has almost 15gb of useless photos of her and her friends stored on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if the 50 gb for $0.99/month is still available. Been using iCloud for awhile. Since I rarely boot into the Windoze side of my desktop, I just back my iPhone and iPad to iCloud instead of iTunes. I can track my phone or pad if need be, shut it down, erase it remotely, etc.

Now that Apple finally updated the Mac Mini, I will be moving that direction. Between iCloud storage and an external drive, I am not sweating the small SSD spec. Plus, the RAM is user up-gradable now (again).

Just do it.

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use iCloud and pay $.99/mo for the upgraded storage. Makes it easy to move across devices and add new devices and I use it to backup everything on a scheduled backup.

Why wouldn’t you use it? While it’s not proven 100% secure it’s more secure than your actual device.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you use iCloud Drive? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I use iCloud and pay $.99/mo for the upgraded storage. Makes it easy to move across devices and add new devices and I use it to backup everything on a scheduled backup.

Why wouldn’t you use it? While it’s not proven 100% secure it’s more secure than your actual device.

Not sure whether to trust it. I don't mean fear of hackers, I mean reliability (i.e., it actually being there and accessible). Feels better to have the document/file on my hard drive, which is backed up to my 3 TB Time Capsule drive.

But, that's why I am asking - because I have no basis for not trusting it. So, trying to educate myself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood. Apple’s data center security will greatly surpass your local drive. That said, you can still do local backups and use iCloud. What’s slick is when you get a new iPhone or iPad and everything can be downloaded from iCloud. You can easily buy a new iPhone and do this yourself.

Some yrs ago I was the Director of Software Security for IBM after IBM acquired a company I founded that built a product for enterprise security. I only highlight so you realize I’m not a neophyte chiming in...(though I’m no Apple security expert).
Quote Reply
Re: Do you use iCloud Drive? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys convinced me. I am upgrading to iCloud Drive and getting the 50 gb for $0.99/mo.

Thanks!

Quote Reply