Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Records that will never be broken [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
That was also discussed with my son. I didn’t put it in the post because it was already too long.

The championship meet is with touch pads now, but you are right they didn’t have them in 1978. The next season, as a 9 year old, he set the 9-10 record. So he had some swimming chops. (He told me this when we talked, there is no archive.)

Definitely sounds like a fast kid, but depending upon how old the summer league or team was at the time, many of the records could have been initially 'soft' and easier to break for a solid fast kid. Lots of youth summer swim leagues got their start in the 1970s. I swam from age 5 through college, and my kids swim, and I even coached a summer league for a couple years during college, so I've seen some interesting times in my day. All that being said, a somewhat flubbed time, for a fast kid, for a short distance- such as a 25, can make the record 'untouchable'.

So what is the time that the boy did in 25 breast? And is it yards or meters? Many kids didn't even use goggles in the 1970s, too!
Quote Reply
Re: Records that will never be broken [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the extra events in swimming you might see another 8 gold in a single games (4 on relays) . Speed skating (long track) has new events (team pursuit and mass start) so you might see 5 golds again.

Ya, a guy like Caleb could get 5 medals just in relays(if that is allowed, not sure if there is a limit on how many relays you can swim), so then he would just need 3 to tie, which would be pretty easy since he has 3 slam dunk events. So after the 50/100 free and 100 fly, he could swim the 200IM and there is your 9 possible, or hell, even the 100 breast is on the table too..

And depending on his longevity, he could also surpass the huge medal total in less years with all those relays, but that is a big ask of any athlete. It is very rare than someone can physically and mentally race for as long as Phelps did, and in a super competitive sport to boot...
Quote Reply
Re: Records that will never be broken [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20.01 25 yard breaststroke - again from side of pool not from block.
Quote Reply
Re: Records that will never be broken [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
20.01 25 yard breaststroke - again from side of pool not from block.

I assume that’s from a dive from the edge of the pool (versus a push from within the pool).

That’s a really, really fast time without a block.

For kicks, I looked at our summer league records (over 120 clubs, with more than 5000 kids from 5 to 18 competing each summer) and the boys time, from a block, very fast indoor pool, and touch pads is a 19.07 and the girls is 18.74. The records are from 2015 and 2012 and the league is over 40 years old. There have been tons of fast swimmers who have competed over the years, including numerous future Olympians, NCAA champions, etc..

You add .3 or so for a decent hand timer and subtract .5 second or so for a dive from a block, and maybe you still end up with a similar time of a really, really, really fast youth swimmer. Or it’s possible, the timer flubbed a little bit and he left early... even in that case maybe he’s a 21.00 and that still would win nearly all 7-8 year old boys 25 yard breast events in 2018... the boy seems like a great swimmer.
Now, if the timer transcribed the time incorrectly, too.... and it was a 21.01 or 22.01... the joys of
volunteer timer, pencil, and paper.

Lastly, I pulled up USA swimming rankings. For 8 and under boys, the 5th fastest boy in the U.S. goes a 41.53 in the 50 breast. Maybe there’s a 2 second difference between his first and second lap, if the first lap was all out, and that would put his first lap below 20. Top 25 is 43.51, which is slower than a 20.01 25yds equivalent. If your boy was legitimate, his time would be on par with a top 20 in the nation swimmer 7 and 8 year old, of today. Given that kids are faster today, a lot more depth, breaststroke has changed to allow faster pullouts, better practice, suits, goggles, training, your boy might of been top 5 in the nation in the late 1970s. You make the decision if he was that fast...
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Nov 16, 18 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: Records that will never be broken [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenyon College NCAA consecutive championship wins (swimming). Will never be touched.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply

Prev Next