Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NRA tells doctors to stay out of gun control
Quote | Reply
https://www.npr.org/...ply-this-is-our-lane

I subscribe to a few medical journals and have noticed an uptick in articles and commentary regarding gun safety. Apparently so did the NRA who pulled a Trump and headed to Twitter to insult rather than, you know, try and start a cordial dialogue aimed at solving the problem.

The thing I find most ironic, is that many times in the past the NRA has said this (shootings) is a mental health issue. But that those who are best suited to identify/treat/etc mental health issues chime in, it’s apparently not a mental health issue and physicians need to “stay in their lane”

Anyway, this seemed like a good way for LR denizens to take a break from arguing about abortions

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: NRA tells doctors to stay out of gun control [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a related note. We have a guy in our ICU who was shot in the stomach by a relative after they got in an alteration after getting back from a hunting trip (no surprise, but marijuana and beer were involved)

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - what a bunch of self-absorbed doctors...(perhaps the NRA should be more thoughtful with whom they pick a fight):

"We are not anti-gun: we are anti-bullet holes in our patients," Esther Choo, a doctor and professor of emergency medicine at Oregon Health & Science University, replied on Twitter. "Most upsetting, actually, is death and disability from gun violence that is unparalleled in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
On a related note. We have a guy in our ICU who was shot in the stomach by a relative after they got in an alteration after getting back from a hunting trip (no surprise, but marijuana and beer were involved)

A couple of years ago when my son had is appendix out we were in the pediatric wing of the hospital. In the room next to us was a 3 year old who likely was going to be quadriplegic because her dad shot her in the neck while cleaning his gun at the kitchen table.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't the NRA start out as a hunter and gun safety group before leaving their lane and becoming a political action committee?
Quote Reply
Re: NRA tells doctors to stay out of gun control [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

A couple of years ago when my son had is appendix out we were in the pediatric wing of the hospital. In the room next to us was a 3 year old who likely was going to be quadriplegic because her dad shot her in the neck while cleaning his gun at the kitchen table.

That has nothing to do with guns. If he didn't have a gun he could have just as easily maimed his child while cleaning a pipe bomb. You lefties are so irrational. Why do you hate America?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the NRA who pulled a Trump and headed to Twitter to insult rather than, you know, try and start a cordial dialogue aimed at solving the problem.

I think that's exactly what they were doing, deliberately. Trump has reshaped the way political debates are held: deny the undeniable; add insult to injury if it stands to energize your base; and never, ever, ever apologize.

I mean, who can blame them. It's the new roadmap to razor thin victory.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:

Beer, pot and guns....what is there to go wrong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just deny NRA members health care. See what happens then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'd read somewhere that the NRA's revenues are way down. (and with all the extra heat lately they can't take a lot more in donations from Russia.) they're looking to gin up some attention and it's working.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:

My tailor better watch his back. That rat bastard is up to his eyeballs in alterations...

Last edited by: JerseyBigfoot: Nov 13, 18 2:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If my doctor starts asking about weapons in my house, I will not answer and I will no longer seek medical services from that doctor.

All it takes is for the doctor to report that "in his view" his patient "could" be in danger or present a danger due to the presence of the weapons and voila, the law enforcement people will literally KILL anyone who decides his 2nd amendment rights are not negotiable.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-aa-shooting-20181105-story.html

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-guns-seized-lighthouse-point-20180316-story.html

Quote Reply
Re: NRA tells doctors to stay out of gun control [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can't trust your doctor not to misdiagnose you as a danger to society then you probably shouldn't trust your doctor with other things either. There are mitigating controls and professional standards as a safeguard against the horror stories you're referencing. Obviously, they still happen...or so it seems. But so do massacres by people who should have had their 2nd amendment rights suspended.
Quote Reply
Re: NRA tells doctors to stay out of gun control [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you'd be doing them a favor if they didn't have to your doctor anymore

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: NRA tells doctors to stay out of gun control [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

and for keeping the king of England out of your face. (couldn't find a complete gif of the quote)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: NRA tells doctors to stay out of gun control [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea. Maybe we can also deny desperately needed mental health services to those suffering from TDS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply