Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i actually believe this. in fact, it's worse. we've removed evolution's pressures. according to dr. ford, "do you know what that means? it means that we're done. that this is as good as we're going to get."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzbWXgM0ygU

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i actually believe this. in fact, it's worse. we've removed evolution's pressures. according to dr. ford, "do you know what that means? it means that we're done. that this is as good as we're going to get."

Who is Dr. Ford and where's the quote come from?
Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Slowman wrote:

anthony hopkins. westworld.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

>Universal Healthcare as a right for all in a "civilized society"

>Keep evolutionary pressures

Pick one.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

>Universal Healthcare as a right for all in a "civilized society"

>Keep evolutionary pressures

Pick one.

how about universal heath care, but you have to earn your right to procreate? no procreation without a license?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

how about universal heath care, but you have to earn your right to procreate? no procreation without a license?

Yikes, that is some Brave New World sh** right there. I'd be very interested in hearing what your requirements for said license would be. Under 11 hours in an IronMan?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

at least superficially, sure - we can now wear glasses if we've got bad eyes, instead of bumbling off a cliff or getting surprised by a sabre-toothed tiger.

but that's not the only way evolution works. sexual selection definitely hasn't gone away, and our new environment is presenting us with a whole new set of stressors. that's always the way it works. as long as some pass on more genetic material than others, they're winning and the process continues.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Yikes, that is some Brave New World sh** right there. I'd be very interested in hearing what your requirements for said license would be. Under 11 hours in an IronMan?

i don't know. but look, i'm a futurist at heart. we're running a ponzi economy right now. we have to keep the building industry safe. we don't know how to exist without a growth economy. we don't know how to fund retirements without an ever-increasing population. the southwest is the fastest growing part of the US but it's at water-capacity now. we're demonstrably, by every scientific benchmark, escalating global warming. we're depleting the ocean fisheries down the point where important species are below the sustainable populations just for reproduction and survival.

jon snow: "you're right. it's a bad plan. what's your plan?"

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Or you can read the actual study, which does not say that we have topped out as the blog post suggests.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2017.00812/full

nonsense. i'd rather get outraged and/or awkwardly misuse a bunch of concepts like 'evolution.'

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i don't know. but look, i'm a futurist at heart. we're running a ponzi economy right now. we have to keep the building industry safe. we don't know how to exist without a growth economy. we don't know how to fund retirements without an ever-increasing population. the southwest is the fastest growing part of the US but it's at water-capacity now. we're demonstrably, by every scientific benchmark, escalating global warming. we're depleting the ocean fisheries down the point where important species are below the sustainable populations just for reproduction and survival.

Well for starters, on the financial piece, I would stop voting for candidates that either tax & spend [D] or borrow & spend [R]

On the environmental piece, I would argue that we are not in such dire straights. Millions of people are lifted out of starvation and dire poverty every year (just google it). And what do you expect to do about global warming with the developing industrial world leading the charge? Just relax and adapt, and encourage younger generations to adapt as well. Technology advances faster than your mind can comprehend it. Maybe buy oceanfront property in Arizona?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Well for starters, on the financial piece, I would stop voting for candidates that either tax & spend [D] or borrow & spend [R]

On the environmental piece, I would argue that we are not in such dire straights. Millions of people are lifted out of starvation and dire poverty every year (just google it). And what do you expect to do about global warming with the developing industrial world leading the charge? Just relax and adapt, and encourage younger generations to adapt as well. Technology advances faster than your mind can comprehend it. Maybe buy oceanfront property in Arizona?

other than 1 in 5 american children going home hungry; whole island nations ceasing to exist; other than my ultra-conservative neighbors now admitting that the area in which we live has gone from a colder and wetter to a significantly warmer and drier place over their lifetimes; other than the icecaps melting, biomass dropping (alarmingly!), biodiversity dropping likewise, yes, i agree with you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, of course, they partially blame man-made global warming--oops, I mean "climate change"--as a reason for our future decline. (You have to scroll down to the very bottom of the article to find it.) I wish they had mentioned that right at the top of the article--I wouldn't have wasted my time reading any more of it. Junk science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Slowman wrote:

anthony hopkins. westworld.

OHHH SHIT!!!! Westworld Season 2!!! I think I have some binging to do!!
Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Francois wrote:
Or you can read the actual study, which does not say that we have topped out as the blog post suggests.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2017.00812/full

nonsense. i'd rather get outraged and/or awkwardly misuse a bunch of concepts like 'evolution.'

The thing was a good conversation starter. I bet you nerds are a barrel of monkeys at an insurance seminar. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
And, of course, they partially blame man-made global warming--oops, I mean "climate change"--as a reason for our future decline. (You have to scroll down to the very bottom of the article to find it.) I wish they had mentioned that right at the top of the article--I wouldn't have wasted my time reading any more of it. Junk science.

I used to be like you, sir. ;-)

You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest

Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
According to a French study, the human race has hit its peak. Obviously, this means we better get rolling with all those enhancements we keep hearing about:

"From a biological perspective, the human race has hit its peak. We are now at our strongest, our fastest, our largest and have reached the limits of our biological lifespan. We can no longer become stronger, faster and longer. Attempts to extend our maximum life span even further will fail."

How depressing. ;-)

That's actually good news. I thought we were already dumbing down and regressing backwards.
Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
According to a French study, the human race has hit its peak. Obviously, this means we better get rolling with all those enhancements we keep hearing about:

"From a biological perspective, the human race has hit its peak. We are now at our strongest, our fastest, our largest and have reached the limits of our biological lifespan. We can no longer become stronger, faster and longer. Attempts to extend our maximum life span even further will fail."

How depressing. ;-)

That's actually good news. I thought we were already dumbing down and regressing backwards.

We're not? I call bullsh*t on that one, sir. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: French Study: We've Topped Out as a Race [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

How depressing. ;-)

I think they will just use this as an excuse to turn and run away...

https://media.giphy.com/...v6Gvd8bFFC/giphy.gif

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply

Prev Next