Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Studding Fat Bike Tires
Quote | Reply
Wife and I both bought Farley 5's last night. We live in Alaska so studs are pretty much a must, especially with all the lake riding you can do.

This is like death by a thousand cuts. 550 studs in, 2 wheels down, 2 more to go.

Anyone else go through this process? Doesn't seem like there is an efficient way to do this other than just have the studs lubed and ready. Beer helps numb my hand a bit, but damn when you have 4 wheels to stud its a time suck!
Quote Reply
Re: Studding Fat Bike Tires [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went thru the process once with a set of Vee Snowshoe XLs. Never again. I did get faster as I developed technique, but not worth it in my opinion. To add frustration, I found I'd lose a handful of studs every ride...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two options:
1. Buy a set of studded Dillinger’s
2. Put grip studs in a bud and Lou setup and you’ll only need 120 or so per tire. Gripstudded bud and Lou are the best winter tire setup I’ve ridden.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd just add that you don't have to put studs in EVERY hole. On my commuter I have a handful down the center of the tread (more on the front tire) but damn near every outer is filled.

also expect to loose a few each ride. Maybe not a ton but some will find their way out unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: Studding Fat Bike Tires [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was hoping that accepting studs will fall out over time, going the every single hole up front is the best option for the long term.

We live in Alaska and had a massive ice storm yesterday. We live right next door to 2 lakes I want to ride on and some glaciers to ride out too :). Figuring just doing it all upfront will remedy potential problems down the road.

But yeah after completing most of the process yesterday I look back and think, outside every hole and every other in the middle would most likely have been the best option. Problem is I started in the middle and worked my way out....lol
Quote Reply
Re: Studding Fat Bike Tires [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you still have some to go, and you're using the push-in studs with a domed top (bottom?) then lube them.
Dish soap thinned out with water worked great for me. put soap in a bowl and mix in water, then dump the studs in and swish them around. I don't think I have lost any studs from my Terrene tires.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Last edited by: andy tetmeyer: Nov 12, 18 12:27
Quote Reply