Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
Urine is sterile

No, it is not. Even if it was, this statement would be irrelevant to the topic.

Well it may not be medical grade sterile but there is less bacteria in urine then tap water..... unless you have a infection. Technically you are right.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah practice during your long rides. Yesterday I had a lot of trouble peeing during a half. It was a flat windy course so I went on the tailwinds as much as possible but it was never a steady stream. Just a dribble here and there with very little relief until I was able to get off a good one but during a significant headwind. I think all of my trainer riding has ruined my skills. I guess I’ll have to start pissing on myself during Zwift rides.

DeSoto has bibs with a slot in the front. I love em. You can pull out of that and aim (assuming you’re a dude) but honestly for me they’re better for off the bike urination. Why I’m riding the little man seems to hide away like a turtle. And it’s just simpler to go without whipping anything out.

Also sweat contains urea which is in urine. This what breaks down and is most of what causes the smell. So you’ve probably sweat much more urea into your shoes than from urine.
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, 1st post-race shower bring your shoes in with you and clean em with soap. Rinse well. Afterwards stuff with newspaper.
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't say I have ever had to piss during a half?
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Can't say I have ever had to piss during a half?

Yeah I am constantly peeing. Not literally constantly, but often. When I snorkel or scuba, I must lose like 5 pounds of urine.
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This discussion has changed my mind about ever buying used, expensive cycling shoes from triathletes. . .

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
This discussion has changed my mind about ever buying used, expensive cycling shoes from triathletes. . .

In my 25+ years of biking/tri etc, I've never bought any used clothing or shoes. Gross.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo what others have said, especially giving yourself a quick rinse with a water bottle after going and then cleaning your shoes post-race. It did take a while to get used to peeing on the bike but it does make a difference and save some time. I did get scolded once by a woman during a race who passed by while I was going as she said "That's disgusting!" - not sure if she was drafting off me when I started but I did make a mental note after that to always check to make sure I didn't have people too close by whenever I did it.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peeing when someone is drafting you is the best time to do it...

not that I have peed on the bike

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
peeing when someone is drafting you is the best time to do it...

not that I have peed on the bike

Agreed, not that I have drafted, but it is a good idea to see what/who is behind you before you pee.
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I must have gotten my ass beat for peeing when I was young. I have tried and tried to pee on the bike but I can't. My bladder just kills me. I have gone out on the trail and tried all positions and speed and bla bla, lol, I can't pee on the bike. I am jealous of your uncleanliness and disgusting actions.

This! During Mont Tremblant a few years ago, it was pouring. I figured that would be the time to do it. Could not get myself to go.
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My shoes aren't cheap"

But, it's nothing but material and disposable eventually.
I would say just change your perspective on your precious shoes, and it will be alright after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try and do races with torrential rainfall forecasted so they get washed off sitting in the used T1 bag area...

That was my cleanup strategy for IMFL this year. ;)

In reality... you didn't hear this from me... but wait for downhills to pee. Put the leg you are ok with it dribbling down on the down pedal. Other leg up pedal position.
"Just go man..."

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
"My shoes aren't cheap"

But, it's nothing but material and disposable eventually.
I would say just change your perspective on your precious shoes, and it will be alright after that.
They're expensive because they're designed to be peed in.

"water drainage holes" my ass. Are your legs and feet ever that soaking after the swim and run to transition that you need to drain off excess water?
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
In reality... you didn't hear this from me... but wait for downhills to pee. Put the leg you are ok with it dribbling down on the down pedal. Other leg up pedal position.
"Just go man..."

Alternatively, when on a downhill, unclip your left foot and bring your foot up like you would if you were stretching your quads. It will then run off your knee.

Or my preferred method, just pull up the leg of your knicks or ease down the waist band a little, whip it out and squirt out the side.

Always have to be aware and considerate of the proximity of other competitors, TO's or spectators. As long as no one is seeing (let alone feeling or tasting) what you're doing, it's all good.
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:

"Just go man..."

Alternatively, when on a downhill, unclip your left foot and bring your foot up like you would if you were stretching your quads. It will then run off your knee.

Or my preferred method, just pull up the leg of your knicks or ease down the waist band a little, whip it out and squirt out the side.

Always have to be aware and considerate of the proximity of other competitors, TO's or spectators. As long as no one is seeing (let alone feeling or tasting) what you're doing, it's all good.

Yeah.

A friend of mine got DQ'd - correctly - for peeing off the bike and being seen by bystanders during a bike race.

Though in bike races, I don't think it's important to not have competitors around.

Way back in the day I was in a really hard (for me) race - the Tour of the Valleys in Vermont. We'd gone over a climb and I had just barely stayed in the group. We're flying down a shallow descent on a bumpy back road and my eyes are crossed hanging on. And this other dude just drifts to the back of the group and starts peeing - easy as you please. I was impressed. He got top five.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In P12 races that I've watched I've seen guys drift to the back even when the pace was on and other guys putting a hand on his back to keep him moving. Those guys don't stop for anything LOL.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been a while, but I'd do it on a long downhill, stand up on pedals and try to relax...then...let er rip. It'll run right down your leg and into your shoes. Grab an extra water bottle at aid station and spray feet/shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [fzzl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to admit this tread is pretty funny. I have never thought of this as being a problem but I can see if your a diabetic its a real problem. I guess the good side is that if your sugar is high like the OP his kidneys are still functioning well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised pissing on the bike is legal, considering all the rules around showing your torso, leaving trash on the course, etc. I guess you can urinate or defacate all over the course if your heart so desires, as long as you don't expose yourself. LOL.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
I'm surprised pissing on the bike is legal, considering all the rules around showing your torso, leaving trash on the course, etc. I guess you can urinate or defacate all over the course if your heart so desires, as long as you don't expose yourself. LOL.

It's not legal in any sense. In the States, it is a crime (urinating in public), and does not need to involve indecent exposure. If you got a penalty from a ref for doing it anywhere on the course thats not a porta potty, I doubt any argument after the fact would be listened to. I'm sure if there is not a specific rule, there is a general "rule" that disallows any action that is considered illegal by the state and local governments. Its not as if there isn't the opportunity to go to the bathroom during the bike course anyway. Also, if in the end you do take a piss on the bike not at a porta potty, do it on the side of the road and not where it could spray other people; the worse it looks the worse the possible penalty.

Please, everyone, stop literally pissing on people behind you.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah

It's not legal and I don't think it's within the rules. But in long bike races (not talking of triathlons), men at least do it - sometimes stopping and sometimes while rolling.

Refs usually look the other way as long as you do it away from spectators and with discretion. But if you do it in sight of spectators, town officials, etc you should be DQ'd if spotted.

I've been in plenty of p-1-2 races with people doing it off the bike. And a few times - in stage races usually - a couple guys would stop on the side of the road and suddenly a bunch of other guys stop too - knowing that a group of 10+ will catch up much more easily. The officials see this - they see a bunch of guys getting of the bikes and peeing.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How to urinate on the bike split of IM? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I've actually sold 3 pairs of tri shoes on FB all disclosed as having been peed in and washed on the top rack of the dishwasher. Always get a kick out of the fact that someone will pay me $25-$40 for something I'd otherwise trash...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Dress' to one side & on a slight downhill unclip the foot on the same side, lift the foot behind your hamstring and just let the pee go. That way you wont get pee in your shoe. Make sure no one is directly behind you first though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My shoes smell like piss anyway so I don't think this will be a problem for me. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next