Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So if it rains just stay home [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
As a veteran I'm not offended that Trump didn't go out in the rain.
I'm a vet, and don't count me as offended. It's more "par for the course" when Trump does something like this. But it wouldn't have taken a lot of effort to make it to the Aisne-Marne Cemetery or to the Arlington National Cemetery to show appreciation for Veteran's Day.

For someone who professes to be supportive of military members and veterans, it's a bad look. Still, it won't bother his supporters, whether they're military, veterans, or civilians. My FIL is a Vietnam War vet. While he can't stand John Kerry, he's never had any reservations about Trump and his five draft deferments, nor Trump's comments regarding how his heroes don't included POW's. Trump is right about the loyalty of his supporters.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
It's an example of ODS.

A test to determine if you have TDS. Think about your reaction to Trump not going out in the rain. Then think how you felt when on April 9th 2015 President Obama didn't go Appomattox Court house to pay respect to the 655,000 Americans who died in the Civil War on the 150th Anniversary of its end, and instead went Jamaica.

If your reaction isn't the same. You have TDS.
Is April 9th a National Holiday?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: So if it rains just stay home [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No more than November 10th is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't going to the spot where the South surrendered be an affront to some Southerners? I had no idea that spending April 9th there was something that every President did.

Of course, I don't care either way. Glad that you don't either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:

No more than November 10th is.

Although originally scheduled for celebration on November 11 of every year, starting in 1971 in accordance with the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, Veterans Day was moved to the fourth Monday of October (October 25, 1971; October 23, 1972; October 22, 1973; October 28, 1974; October 27, 1975; October 25, 1976, and October 24, 1977). In 1978, it was moved back to its original celebration on November 11. While the legal holiday remains on November 11, if that date happens to be on a Saturday or Sunday, then organizations that formally observe the holiday will normally be closed on the adjacent Friday or Monday, respectively.

I've known about Veteran's Day and the Federal Holiday on November 11th for most of my life. I've observed it like most Americans.

As far as I know, April 9th has never been observed as a Federal Holiday. Equating Obama, or anyone else, from missing that day to Trump missing out on Veteran's Day, especially on the 100-year anniversary of the end of WWI, is a stretch.

Last edited by: Alvin Tostig: Nov 12, 18 16:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn’t even know about it. If other presidents visited or even remembered then sure it’s a problem. Was it even mentioned on Fox? But as others said, is there a holiday to remember that day?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: So if it rains just stay home [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It must have been mentioned. Otherwise, why would Cavechild have any recollection at all that Obama was in Jamaica? It takes a special level of fixation to latch on to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
It's an example of ODS.

A test to determine if you have TDS. Think about your reaction to Trump not going out in the rain. Then think how you felt when on April 9th 2015 President Obama didn't go Appomattox Court house to pay respect to the 655,000 Americans who died in the Civil War on the 150th Anniversary of its end, and instead went Jamaica.

If your reaction isn't the same. You have TDS.

Those are not the same thing. First, Obama was in Jamaica meeting with Caribbean leaders to address their energy needs due to the plummeting oil outputs of Valenzuela and also dealing with Cuba. That is different than trump just staying in his hotel room. Obama was meeting with multiple heads of state. The whole point is the that trump ran into a small problem and then just said "fuck it, I won't do anything." That is very different than Obama actually doing diplomacy.

Also, the surrender at Appomattox court house was not even the end of the war. Jefferson Davis did not surrender until over a month later. Multiple other parts of the confederacy did not surrender till later. Obama missing the Gettysburg anniversary is more of a meaningful criticism, but do you want to be a President giving a speech at Gettysburg? That is hard to live up to.
Quote Reply
Re: So if it rains just stay home [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the history lesson on November 11th being the actual holiday, vs. the Observed. I understand government employees ability to scam a free day off.

The reason I asked if November 10th was a holiday, not November 11th, or November 12th, was because Trump skipped a visit because of weather on November 10th. i.e. the day before the actual holiday, and 2 days before the observed holiday. So unless Veterans Day eve is a thing.... November 10th is a non holiday. So getting worked up about it is an example of TDS.
Quote Reply
Re: So if it rains just stay home [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had no idea that spending April 9th there was something that every President did.

I had no idea that spending the day before Veterans Day at a cemetery was something that every President did.
Quote Reply
Re: So if it rains just stay home [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Otherwise, why would Cavechild have any recollection at all that Obama was in Jamaica? It takes a special level of fixation to latch on to that.

Or a simple google search of Obama April 9, 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: So if it rains just stay home [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are not the same thing.

I actually think that two Presidents not observing non-holidays is the same thing. Because I don't suffer from TDS or ODS. I can think clearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I don't think most people are upset about what Trump did or did not do with regard to honoring the military. Its the hypocrisy, of both Trump and his supporters.

I personally don't care. Its just one more piece of straw landing on a broken camel.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
Those are not the same thing.

I actually think that two Presidents not observing non-holidays is the same thing. Because I don't suffer from TDS or ODS. I can think clearly.

Stop. You sound like a fool. Veterans Day is an actual federal holiday, not to mention a holiday (Remembrance Day) in a number of other countries. It's not in the same neighborhood as some other random non-holiday anniversary of another historical event.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
I had no idea that spending April 9th there was something that every President did.

I had no idea that spending the day before Veterans Day at a cemetery was something that every President did.

No, but you did know that honoring our fallen veterans on or near Veterans Days was something that every President typically does, because you're not actually stupid, although you're playing at it pretty well.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: So if it rains just stay home [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This gets mostly a "meh" from me.

I don't know what security concerns might have precluded the President from attending in France, although I will say that security for POTUS abroad is not the same as security for the French President in his own country. So insisting that because Pres Macron could drive, POTUS could too, is not necessarily accurate.

I also don't know what reason he may have had for not going to Arlington.

There's no real impact from this to actual people other than hurt feelings and a bad optic, which, by this point in this administration, shouldn't be a shock or surprise to anyone. Nobody's going to die, or pay more taxes, or lose their jobs, or go hungry because the President didn't lay a wreath at a cemetery in France.

It's a bad look. Add it to the list.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: So if it rains just stay home [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop. You sound like a fool. Veterans Day is an actual federal holiday, not to mention a holiday (Remembrance Day) in a number of other countries.

But I'm not a fool enough to believe that Veterans Day Eve is an actual holiday in any country other than TDS land.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but you did know that honoring our fallen veterans on or near Veterans Days was something that every President typically does, because you're not actually stupid, although you're playing at it pretty well.

No, but you do know that honoring our fallen veterans is what he did in France on the actual holiday of Veterans Day (NOVEMBER 11th). And like every other President he didn't do it on Veterans Day Eve. Because you're actually suffering from TDS and showing it in full colors I'll give you a pass.
Last edited by: Cavechild: Nov 12, 18 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

I don't know what security concerns might have precluded the President from attending in France, although I will say that security for POTUS abroad is not the same as security for the French President in his own country. So insisting that because Pres Macron could drive, POTUS could too, is not necessarily accurate.

There's no real impact from this to actual people other than hurt feelings and a bad optic, which, by this point in this administration, shouldn't be a shock or surprise to anyone. Nobody's going to die, or pay more taxes, or lose their jobs, or go hungry because the President didn't lay a wreath at a cemetery in France.

True dat. Except this one was on an international stage, not just a domestic issue so IMHO its a bit more magnified. Last time he was on the international stage he got laughed at in the UN. This wasn't exactly a come back. But you'd think a lot of vets might be offended? But then I don't understand these "veterans for Trump" signs at his base rallies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Thread resurrection, bad looks and list addition:

Fake news and bad optics: Trump is ALL in for the Military. Truth: Trump is in for the Pomp, Parades and Props. Trump is in for providing monies in support of DoD requirements. Significantly and notably absent is Presidential support of personal service and sacrifice. To date, a visit to a war zone where those troops are not props but rather the flesh and blood embodiment of national service and sacrifice and where there is personal hazard to the visitor has not been made. Presidential cowardice has been offered by unnamed WH sources as to why he has avoided this task. Trump admitted that he erred on not visiting Arlington Cemetery, but did he learn? Currently he is scheduled to go to Mar Lago for the Thanksgiving holiday. What are the odds that he pays a visit to the troops in Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan? The cowardice excuse can only grow louder with each passing holiday and no visit.

Oh, adding to the list: Sunday's side swipe at ADM McRaven. Keep on keeping on Trump. Go ahead and give McRaven, a true hero and patriot, more ammunition to challenge in 2020. I double dog dare him to slap on on demeaning nickname for the Admiral.

On a positive note, that attack may just have convinced Jim Mattis to remain on post and persevere.
Quote Reply

Prev Next