Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nov 11: Lest We Forget
Quote | Reply
I wanted to reach out today on Remembrance Day to wish all our veteran friends for their service and at some point in life writing the blank cheque to uphold the values of our respective countries. I know many of you have been deployed in front line combat zones and come back as different people. I have gotten sooooo many cool stories of peers training on the front line just to keep their sanity around exploding bombs and IED's in confined quarters, with no equipment, in the middle of nowhere, far from home and family.

I was one of the lucky ones who never had to serve in an active combat zone. I joined the Royal Canadian Air Force as a 17 year old boy just short of my 18th birthday, with no clue what I was getting into other than knowing I would get a free engineering degree and get trained working on really cool fighter jets to play around with engines and radar systems. I was tweaked by the toys and the technical challenge, not by the challenge of leadership and service. Eventually the Air Force made me an Airman for life, (yeah, I know you Army, Navy and Marines guys count this as being in the Marriott, but hey we have to have fun between us) and I grew into the higher calling of the service to the values of my country.

The army tried to recruit me to become a paratrooper because I was a reasonably competent athlete and I told them, "I am studying all this engineering to help design aircraft that that are perfectly serviceable and land with the rubber side DOWN...you will NEVER EVER get me to jump out of an airplane unless we screwed up our engineering work".

Through the military and this sport, I got to see a lot of this world too even though I was in a really technical field. My first "startup" was going to the general at Royal Military College of Canada and pitching to him in 1986 that we should have a Varsity Triathlon Team when there were no universities to race against. Nevertheless, I walked out of there with the approvals and a big budget. The general was my first Venture Capitalist.

Later in the early 90's in parallel to working on CF-18 software (our F-18), I got a spot on our first Armed Forces Triathlon Team. That really was an experience of a lifetime, mainly because I got exposed to soldiers who were former East Block Communist "enemies". In Canada, our womens' team was pretty strong, but the guys, we had no chance with the Euros racing with pro athletes on mandatory military service, but it was awesome. We lived for a week in a barracks in Italy with triathletes from all nations eating in the same mess all nations doing the same workouts at the same time (as you would imagine in the military).

I had a really great time in my 13 years in the RCAF. We made friends for life. People who will jump in front of us and take a bullet or schrapnel and still get up and check if we are OK and offer to haul us off the battlefield to safety under enemy fire if they are more functional than we are. I really can't find that anywhere else in my post service life in the corporate world. Honestly some of the friend I have made through triathlon are closer to the orginal military "life form" that I thought all humans are.

And to my Servicewomen and Servicemen ST peers, thanks to your families. It is one thing being a triathlon family. It's a completely different level being triathlon service family. Chapeau to them.

If you care to read about what I wrote to my high tech industry network its is here. https://www.linkedin.com/...6467133400238080000/ and I am guessing its not totally indifferent for many. We enter the service when we have no money and need an education, and end up seeing the opportunity to serve. Others enter for the higher calling of serving alone. You girls and guys are rock stars.

Capt. Devashish Paul
Royal Canadian Air Force 1983-1996
Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your service buddy and for paving the way for those of us that followed in your foot steps.

Quote | Reply
Well said
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brother.
I got out (USN)when you were going in,not much happening during the late 70's early 80's mostly chasing Russian subs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said, thank you for your service.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [jmaley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmaley wrote:
Thanks for your service buddy and for paving the way for those of us that followed in your foot steps.

LOL....you're the exact guy that followed in our path....you're a smarter, younger and waaaaaaay faster version of what we started off in triathlon in the Canadian Armed Forces. Keep it rolling Joel. Every time I see the Canadian Armed Forces tri guys rip it up at Kona and elsewhere, I feel so connected. To have one of our own as Armed Forces World Champ at Kona, and on top of that, being an Airman and an Engineer...hey, what can I say, you're the ultimate version of what I wanted to be!!!

Thanks for your service....OK, I gotta get a workout in before going to Parliament hill. I spent my entire military career trying to get out of parade to do sport, but I'll go to this parade over sport!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in Europe, today celebrating 100 years of the end of first world war.

Father of my grandmother was gassed in front line trenches, seriously diminushing respiratory capacity, leading to early death few years after.

Also thinking to an uncle with respiratory capacities destroyed during diving training in the 60s (in french equivalent of UDT/Seals), also leading to premature death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello devashish_paul and All,

Like your Remeberance Day .... on our US Veteran's Day ..... Here's to the veteran's that are absent ....

and .....

Yesterday was USMC 243rd birthday ... here's to our squadron mates that are absent .........

Semper fi

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello devashish_paul and All,

Like your Remeberance Day .... on our US Veteran's Day ..... Here's to the veteran's that are absent ....

and .....

Yesterday was USMC 243rd birthday ... here's to our squadron mates that are absent .........

Semper fi

Thanks Neil for your service. I think your mates are with you propelling you through all your amazing feats!!! Happy birthday to the United State Marine Corps yesterday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev, I just finished watching the coverage of the Ottawa ceremony. I make it a point to watch it every year [unless I run out to the local memorials in Westmount or NDG in the Montreal area] and always am deeply touched and a bit emotional at some point.

When I had just finished university, my buddy and I backpacked through Europe for the summer. We made a point to go up to Dieppe. The trip to the Canadian war cemetery there cemented a lasting memory. Row upon row of headstones brought bold relief to the fact that what I was doing [freewheeling, carefree travels of exploration] was made possible by those willing to fight against forces wanting to take away freedoms.

So, I too, am deeply grateful to you and all people who have served my country. I will never forget.
Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [ija.z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ija.z wrote:
Hi Dev, I just finished watching the coverage of the Ottawa ceremony. I make it a point to watch it every year [unless I run out to the local memorials in Westmount or NDG in the Montreal area] and always am deeply touched and a bit emotional at some point.

When I had just finished university, my buddy and I backpacked through Europe for the summer. We made a point to go up to Dieppe. The trip to the Canadian war cemetery there cemented a lasting memory. Row upon row of headstones brought bold relief to the fact that what I was doing [freewheeling, carefree travels of exploration] was made possible by those willing to fight against forces wanting to take away freedoms.

So, I too, am deeply grateful to you and all people who have served my country. I will never forget.

I had a great day on the hill. I think I used up the 8th of my 9 lives this year before I join these guys on the other side. I visited the tomb of the unknown solider and dropped off my poppy specifically to remember one of my classmates.

Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Thanks Brother.

I got out (USN)when you were going in,not much happening during the late 70's early 80's mostly chasing Russian subs.

Not much happening in the US Navy in the 70's but a bunch of Navy guys in Oahu got so bored and had so much pent up testosterone that they they INVENTED THE IRONMAN....we're here doing this sport because of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post Dev,

Never served but I was a “brat” so to speak.

We moved 16 times in 14 years, I was born in Fredricton, sister in London, other brother in Germany and the other in Halifax.

My dad got out in ‘76 but stayed active in the reserves, he was CO at Dow’s Lake back in the 1980’s.

....perhaps he yelled at you back in the day, my dad has a voice that carries 😀

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your service.

I served in the US Army for five years. Some of the best years of my life for a variety of reasons, there is no other environment that feels as noble as a platoon that trains to close with and destroy the enemy. Leading Soldiers was a hallmark that I'll never forget.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Thank you for your service.

I served in the US Army for five years. Some of the best years of my life for a variety of reasons, there is no other environment that feels as noble as a platoon that trains to close with and destroy the enemy. Leading Soldiers was a hallmark that I'll never forget.

That unified mission is something we can strive for in industry, but as I said above, no one will carry us off the battlefield under enemy fire whether we are still on the path to the win, or we have to retreat to regroup and try again. It's just a different level of committment to the unit. Really hard to replicate anywhere. The closest I am getting is my current tech startup, but I'm the founder of the company so I can influence the culture.
Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Semper Fi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ija.z wrote:

I had a great day on the hill. I think I used up the 8th of my 9 lives this year before I join these guys on the other side. I visited the tomb of the unknown solider and dropped off my poppy specifically to remember one of my classmates.

Dev - Is your Tomb of the Unknown guarded 24/7/365 as our American Tomb is??? I live about 550 mi from D.C. but I've been to see the Tomb every time I've been in the D.C. area, or about 8-ish times. Always brings tears to my eyes. The military is the only place where you SERVE, not just work, even those like you and I who are in the AF. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ija.z wrote:

Dev - Is your Tomb of the Unknown guarded 24/7/365 as our American Tomb is??? I live about 550 mi from D.C. but I've been to see the Tomb every time I've been in the D.C. area, or about 8-ish times. Always brings tears to my eyes. The military is the only place where you SERVE, not just work, even those like you and I who are in the AF. :)

This is a good question. It was not guarded 24x7x365 previously but I know some stupid kids urinated there while drunk and were caught on security cameras a few years ago and there was talk about guards. I don't work downtown anymore so I don't know if it is guarded daily. I go by there once in a while during the other 364 days and never noticed any guards. It is definitely open to public coming and going, even if there are some police hovering around there.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 11, 18 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ija.z wrote:

This is a good question. It was not guarded 24x7x365 previously but I know some stupid kids urinated there while drunk and were caught on security cameras a few years ago and there was talk about guards. I don't work downtown anymore so I don't know if it is guarded daily. I go by there once in a while during the other 364 days and never noticed any guards. It is definitely open to public coming and going, even if there are some police hovering around there.

Are you familiar with the way the U.S Tomb is guarded??? Very formal and the guys serving have very strict height and waist requirements. IIRC, you can't have over a 30-inch waist and must be betw 5'11" and 6'2". AFAIK, guards are all male but this may have changed in past few years but I think still only very tall girls will be accepted.

Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been several women to earn the right to guard the tomb. The first completed selection and training in 2001...but the height requirement for Tomb guards is why there have been very few.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Nov 11: Lest We Forget [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
There have been several women to earn the right to guard the tomb. The first completed selection and training in 2001...but the height requirement for Tomb guards is why there have been very few.

Great, thanks for the inside info!!!

Quote Reply