Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottom Bracket Install Question
Quote | Reply
I wrench my own bike due to my proximity to LBS

I just replaced my Trek SC BB90 bottom bracket (SRAM Force 22 crankset) after 4 seasons. IM Louisville was the final straw. An LBS did install the crankset a few years ago

Drive side has 24mm ID and non-drive side has 22mm ID.

When I pulled my crank, I noticed there was no dust cover on drive side. Is this normal?

I pressed the bearings with no issues. The non-drive side bearing has a built-in spacer reducing ID to 22mm. The dust cover that came with the BB90 replacement kit does not fit around this spacer/ ID reducer. Do I just order a dust cover that fits this bearing? Is there I am just running without a dust cover now as I am all trainer during the off-season

I have scoured the internet, this forum and you tube for an answer and cant find one

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Install Question [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I wrench my own bike due to my proximity to LBS

I just replaced my Trek SC BB90 bottom bracket (SRAM Force 22 crankset) after 4 seasons. IM Louisville was the final straw. An LBS did install the crankset a few years ago

Drive side has 24mm ID and non-drive side has 22mm ID.

When I pulled my crank, I noticed there was no dust cover on drive side. Is this normal?

I pressed the bearings with no issues. The non-drive side bearing has a built-in spacer reducing ID to 22mm. The dust cover that came with the BB90 replacement kit does not fit around this spacer/ ID reducer. Do I just order a dust cover that fits this bearing? Is there I am just running without a dust cover now as I am all trainer during the off-season

I have scoured the internet, this forum and you tube for an answer and cant find one

Thanks

You’re finding that the ID of the dust cover doesn’t fit over the outside of the extended inner race on the NDS bearing? Did you try both sides of the dust cover? Going from memory I thought each side of the dust cover had a slightly different ID. I think there is only one version of the dust cover.

Page 37 here shows installing the slightly larger female dust cover from the NDS which should help clear the extended race:

https://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf
Last edited by: SummitAK: Nov 10, 18 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reducer spacer should extend inwards, not to the outside.........
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Install Question [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe it! I put the non-drive side bearing in backwards. I will have to remove it and re-press. It was so simple and I didn't see it. It is clearly pictured in the SC service manual above.

The learning process continues...

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I can't believe it! I put the non-drive side bearing in backwards. I will have to remove it and re-press. It was so simple and I didn't see it. It is clearly pictured in the SC service manual above.

The learning process continues...

Thanks

Ah. I thought you left the interior shields out because one side wouldn’t fit over the extended inner race inside the BB. I’m surprised the crank bolt tightened down enough to keep the NDS arm on with the bearing in backwards!
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Install Question [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not fully tightened the crankset as I wanted to figure this out before I start training for 2019 on Tuesday. I did secure and spin freely but there is only about 8nm on the crankset bolt. I has not been ridden

Good gawd! I'm fast on the bike but slow in the garage (;
Quote Reply