Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ideas for New Year's Challenge?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any good ideas for a challenge I can do over the few first months of 2019?
I've already done the 100 runs/100 days, what else you got?

Needs to be:
  • Simple
  • Measureable
  • Possible to do with a job and travel while living in a place with sometimes-snowy weather (so no like, "ride outside every day for 90 min." Not gonna happen.

Whatcha got?
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for New Year's Challenge? [140.6chick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I've said this before, but I'm considering embarking up on the "Gary the Vale Ultramarathon Training Program" with the idea of doing the Rocky Run 50K next December

The Plan goes like this: Every week, you add ONE mile to your long run; ideally, by going 1/2 a mile further on an out-n-back route, so you can look 800yds down the road and say to yourself "Self. We're going down to there next week. Just a little further, that's not so bad, right?"

Now, be warned ... to my knowledge, no one has actually started at zero [or 1, as the case may be] and stuck with it for an ENTIRE year, culminating in a 52-mile run [people tend to do silly things like sign up for races along the way, messing up the progression]

Or are you looking for some to do one New Year's Day, specifically? How about riding the trainer for the duration of Mummers Day coverage [if you are so blessed to have access to such a spectacle]?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Nov 10, 18 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140.6chick wrote:
Anyone have any good ideas for a challenge I can do over the few first months of 2019?

Needs to be:
  • Simple
  • Measureable
  • Possible to do with a job and travel while living in a place with sometimes-snowy weather (so no like, "ride outside every day for 90 min." Not gonna happen.

Whatcha got?

I am going for 25x400m Individual Medley at the pool on Dec 31. Simple, challenging, measureable. Let's see how it goes. I did the first 400IM in my life last November in training and March in a real swim meet.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 10, 18 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100 days, 100 different craft beers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started running everyday...12/31/2013
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for New Year's Challenge? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I know I've said this before, but I'm considering embarking up on the "Gary the Vale Ultramarathon Training Program" with the idea of doing the Rocky Run 50K next December

The Plan goes like this: Every week, you add ONE mile to your long run; ideally, by going 1/2 a mile further on an out-n-back route, so you can look 800yds down the road and say to yourself "Self. We're going down to there next week. Just a little further, that's not so bad, right?"

Now, be warned ... to my knowledge, no one has actually started at zero [or 1, as the case may be] and stuck with it for an ENTIRE year, culminating in a 52-mile run [people tend to do silly things like sign up for races along the way, messing up the progression]

Or are you looking for some to do one New Year's Day, specifically? How about riding the trainer for the duration of Mummers Day coverage [if you are so blessed to have access to such a spectacle]?

This is brilliant. I'm going to incorporate this into my unstructured training/off season starting now until I get my official training plan up and running at the end of Feb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about 100 X 100's at the pool? You could break the 100's into kicks, drills, pulls with ankle straps and buoy, pulls without ankle straps. Ascending, descending by 5 (or some other number). Or one of the standards: 25 strong/75 DPS, 50 strong/50 DPS, 75 strong/25 DPS, 100 strong and 100 DPS. Or stroke - fly, back, breast, free or even do them as IM's. Swimmers?
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for New Year's Challenge? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
140.6chick wrote:

Needs to be:
  • Simple
  • Measureable

Whatcha got?

I am going for 25x400m Individual Medley at the pool on Dec 31. Simple, challenging, measureable. Let's see how it goes. I did the first
400IM in my life last November in training and March in a real swim meet.

Dev - I think you could do it but man, you had better TAPER big time before the big day. I mean, you do NOT want sore arms/shoulders when you start a workout which includes 2500 m fly plus 2500 m free. Seriously, rest up!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140.6chick wrote:
Needs to be:
  • Simple
  • Measureable
  • Whatcha got?

140 - How about 100 "swims" in 100 days??? Now if you can't get to the pool some days, get a pair of Stretch Cords or a Halo Trainer, or a Vasa if you can afford one, and just work on your pulling at home, or anywhere really; the Stretch Cords are by far the cheapest option at around $35-$50 per pair. I like the ones with paddles on the ends. If you can "swim" in some way for say 45 min per day for 100 straight days, I would bet that you will improve your swimming. Sheila Taormina is big on the cords in her books, said she used to rehearse her 200 free every night, in the months leading up to the Oly Trials and then the Oly, using the cords. She had it down to exact number of strokes for each length. In case her name rings no bells, she swam on the women's 4 x 200 m free relay in the '96 Oly, and they won the relay that year. Then she took up tri and competed in the '00 and '04 Oly tri, finishing 6th in '00. And then she took up Modern Pentathlon and competed in the '08 Oly in the pentathlon, finished mid-pack IIRC.

Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for New Year's Challenge? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did 5500m of IM on my birthday on Oct 27th (split up as 13x400IM plus 3x100IM with a bunch of free around it in a 6800m workout). I think it is in the realm of possiblity. I think I need to do a few back to back 10x400IM days in the lead up and then taper....maybe target 27 Dec since pool is closed 25/26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I did 5500m of IM on my birthday on Oct 27th (split up as 13x400IM plus 3x100IM with a bunch of free around it in a 6800m workout). I think it is in the realm of possiblity. I think I need to do a few back to back 10x400IM days in the lead up and then taper....maybe target 27 Dec since pool is closed 25/26

That's a beast of a workout. Generally, when i'm doing a workout that long, I'd do a bunch of kicking, breast, etc, to take some of the load off the shoulders. Anyway, good luck with the 25 x 400 IM!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I swam 400 IM in college, and don't think I've done one since graduation.
I can't even imagine doing 25 in a row. I think I'm good.
Good luck to you though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea, thanks for this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140.6chick wrote:
Good luck to you though!

Well if you did it in college you can easily do it. The reason I learnt the other three strokes in my 50's and am trying the 200 fly and 400 IM is because I think you all who did this competitively are so awesome and I want to try the hard stuff. While I think this challenge is a bit stupid, I also think it may be in the realm of possibility for me and if I think it is possible, then why not...after all, I was the crazy guy who started the 100/100 on ST, but a few accidents later, I can't run....but I can swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140.6chick wrote:
Good luck to you though!

Well, I wouldn't have proposed the 100 "swims" in 100 days if I had known you swam in college, as you obv don't need it. Perhaps it will an idea for others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
[In case her name rings no bells, she swam on the women's 4 x 200 m free relay in the '96 Oly, and they won the relay that year. Then she took up tri and competed in the '00 and '04 Oly tri, finishing 6th in '00. And then she took up Modern Pentathlon and competed in the '08 Oly in the pentathlon, finished mid-pack IIRC.

Some people just can't decide what they wanna be when they grow up

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
[In case her name rings no bells, she swam on the women's 4 x 200 m free relay in the '96 Oly, and they won the relay that year. Then she took up tri and competed in the '00 and '04 Oly tri, finishing 6th in '00. And then she took up Modern Pentathlon and competed in the '08 Oly in the pentathlon, finished mid-pack IIRC.

Some people just can't decide what they wanna be when they grow up

Haha!!! Ya, clearly that was Sheila's "problem"!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for New Year's Challenge? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I started running everyday...12/31/2013

So, after almost 5 yrs, how has this worked out for you??? Do you use the international streakers' standard of a 1 mile minimum run to count as a run??? Have you run through many injuries??? How many mi/wk are you averaging??? Do you taper for races running just 1-2 mi/day??? Genuinely curious. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I actually started Jan 1, 2013 w a 4mi/30min a day goal. Made it to September then had an injury. W ironman that nov, I wanted to rest.

Started back 12/31 w 1mi a day, ‘14-1.5. ‘15 2mi. 16 - 2.5mi, then back down to 1 in ‘17 due to an ITB issue. Maybe I’ll go back up next year. I’m not on any streaker list, I do this for me, no one else.

Just the one injury and it hurt getting thru that running at times. Before or after races, like IMAZ last weekend, it’s a mile or 2 a day for the week. Weekly mileage varies from 7-10mpw to 40’s, but mostly 25-35mpw.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
So I actually started Jan 1, 2013 w a 4mi/30min a day goal. Made it to September then had an injury. W ironman that nov, I wanted to rest.

Started back 12/31 w 1mi a day, ‘14-1.5. ‘15 2mi. 16 - 2.5mi, then back down to 1 in ‘17 due to an ITB issue. Maybe I’ll go back up next year. I’m not on any streaker list, I do this for me, no one else.

Just the one injury and it hurt getting thru that running at times. Before or after races, like IMAZ last weekend, it’s a mile or 2 a day for the week. Weekly mileage varies from 7-10mpw to 40’s, but mostly 25-35mpw.

So do you feel it has helped your running???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I believe it has helped my running At 47 I’m still getting faster, with less volume. I am also rarely sore

Past that I feel that it is good mentally. I get a “win” everyday. I also GET to run everyday, I don’t HAVE to run.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Yes I believe it has helped my running At 47 I’m still getting faster, with less volume. I am also rarely sore Past that I feel that it is good mentally. I get a “win” everyday. I also GET to run everyday, I don’t HAVE to run.

Very interesting, thanks for this info. I've tried running every day at least 7 or 8 times in the past but always ended up either injured or just totally exhausted. Probably i did not take enough 1-2 mile days. OTOH, I did sustain a 13 year streak of S, B, and/or R-ing every day. I used 500 yd in the pool and 4 miles on the bike as the eqv of the 1 mile run. Using this strategy, I trained from Sept 1988 thru Dec 2001 w/o missing a day. Streak was ended by a bike crash wherein i was knocked out for 45 min and the docs said no exercise at all for at least three days. I thought long and hard about it though, b/c i did have the 13.25 yr streak going but in the end decided my brain health was more important. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for New Year's Challenge? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
100 days, 100 different craft beers.

OK - you win.
Quote Reply