Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

indoor riding / get an old man up to speed
Quote | Reply

Dont ride any doors any more than i have to, when i do, use an old Computrainer or a set of rollers. My wife is more fair weather rider, so she has more need for something indoors. Computrainer is too complicated for her; a friend of hers has a Peleton and has convinced my wife thats what she needs. I know enough to know thats not the answer, but what is ?? Is Zwift the consensus answer ? And if so, do you need to get a Wahoo instead of a conventional "dumb" trainer ??

Thanks for insights !!

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: indoor riding / get an old man up to speed [rrfr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do not need a smart trainer to use Zwift. However, it makes for a much better experience. Zwift can pick up power, speed, cadence, and heart rate sensors.

Zwift is the best thing to ever happen to indoor training since the smart trainer. Get the Wahoo Kickr and Zwift.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Zwift works with the computrainer.

https://support.zwift.com/...putrainer-HJxKyCJZr7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrfr wrote:
Computrainer is too complicated for her; a friend of hers has a Peleton and has convinced my wife thats what she needs. I know enough to know thats not the answer, but what is ?? Is Zwift the consensus answer ?
What would motivate or captivate your wife the most for indoor riding? I would not rule out a Peloton until you assess fit. Those are pretty freakin' awesome. If she likes the spin and rah, rah environment, then she might love the Peloton. A friend of mine logs a lot of miles and hated a KICKR with Zwift. He went back to his Peloton.

Peloton = high-energy spin class environment and easy for anyone to use
Zwift = gamified riding and sense of competition with others
TrainerRoad = sophisticated program-oriented training (but check-out and watch Netflix while riding)

Peloton is an all-in-one solution.

If you go Zwift, TrainerRoad, or something else, then you need a smart trainer (ideally) and a computer or TV to host the training program. You can do one of those with a dumb trainer, but you have to concentrate more to get the workout quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your wife have an actual bike? If not, peleton will prob be all around best option.

I would check out dc rainmakers https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...endations-guide.html trainer guide. If money isnt really an issue (700-1000 vs. 300-500), I would jsut get a direct drive trainer (bike stays on it).

Two main schools of thoughts. Trainer Road (VERY SIMPLE WORKOUTS) vs. Zwift (more "game based"). Trainer Road is pretty simple. I choose a workout plan (for 8 weeks), load up my ipad and go on my way. I have this hooked up to my iPad. Then I have a computer that I watch DVDs/netflix on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let your wife figure what she wants to do on her own. You can make some suggestions or give her some information but back away from telling her what to do.
Quote Reply