Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Malibu Fires, so much destructon
Quote | Reply
SO just wondering if anyone is being evacuated from this fire, it is completely out of control and hitting a lot of our riding and running routes. It jumped the 101 last night, and it seems like it could go all the way to the beach, again..Awhile back there was a fire like this one, and only the ocean stopped it..

Everyone be safe out there, it is going to be a nightmare Friday for LA county, so many roads closed, people leaving, and uncertainty of where it will go next...
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Family and friends are

Sad to see the destruction and the amount of fuel left to burn. Aerial shots of Mulholland and Malibou Lake etc, spent a ton of time back there last summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75,000 homes are being evacuated. This is so much worse than people who don't understand the area are making it out to be. I spend every Saturday back there. My favorite bottle fill/coffee stop is probably going to go. Paramount Ranch (where they film Westworld) is screwed.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, it is crazy here, every local station has it on 100% of the time now. It affects so many people, and the way the winds are going, it could impact a whole lot more. It was the perfect storm of events, super strong Santa Ana winds, abnormally high temps, lots of growth in the winter, now on the back of a pretty long drought that dried things out..

Only hope now is that the winds lay down when they were supposed to, sometime today. Without that there is just no handle to grab onto and start the containment..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will have far reaching consequences as well as it will set up the hillsides for mudslides. It's a vicious cycle that the area seems to go through every 8-10 years.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're evacuated. I rode my bike to work yesterday morning (Newbury Park to Camarillo), then the fire came up around 2:00 and all my routes home were closed. My husband had to come pick me up with the car (and dogs, of course). He had to go out to the coast to get around the road closures -- it took 2 hours to do a 10 minute drive. Finally one of our routes home opened and we hit the road. Wow, it was an amazing sight. Fire as far as you could see. Scary. Jordan and Jill were likely evacuated at some point yesterday.

We were between the Woolsey and Hill fires last night, but then Woolsey spread west and we got the blaring phone notification of a voluntary evacuation at 2:00 AM. Turned on the TV to see houses being burned to the ground 5 miles away. Got the essentials packed up and ready to go and loaded the bikes in the minivan after deciding which would be sacrificed (the oldest -- the mtn bikes). Mandatory evacuation call came around 3:00 AM. We're still evacuated at noon. We know our house is still standing. We're thankful for good friends who will let us stay, even with two dogs, one of whom is old, crippled, blind, and frankly a little stinky. We hope to get home soon. Our riding routes are going to look completely different for a very long time. Mtn bike and running trails will be barren. Just heard Paramount Ranch burned. Looks like the MASH site might also be gone.

This on top of the mass shooting late Wed. night. It's been a rough couple of days in our idyllic part of the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am down in San Diego, but my sister and brother-in-law are in Moorpark. They can see both fires from their house.

My brother-in-law works in Thousand Oaks and was evacuated the day the fire started. Just learned my niece and nephew's school in Moorpark was closed - probably allowing everyone to get prepared to evacuate or those that had to evacuate.

Those 2 locations are just fitted for these large fires that quickly burn out of control. Then as someone mentioned above, those areas will be prone to mudslides next.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you made it out safely and to someplace where you can have all the critters..

On that note, I'm just finishing up a camp up here, so if you or anyone knows folks that got devastated and/or cannot go back for sometime, I have my B&B up here for short term or long term until they can get settled. And we love animals up here, even have some horse facilities.. PM me for info, about ah hour from Thousand Oaks, 2 hours from Malibu, away from he fires and smoke...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are in Westlake Village fires all around us, freeway closed 101 both directions in Agoura about the only way out is 101 to the 23 north, all the canyon roads are closed. I have lived here for 38 years and never seen anything like this, it is pretty scary as you can imagine. Some friends evacuated last evening came back to their home this morning and the house next door was burnt down this was just over the other side of Westlake. It is quite bad along the ridge line near the lake here in Westlake. We are packed and ready to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lost my home last year in the Atlas Fire (Napa).

If anyone has questions on what happens after, etc., I am happy to be a resource.

Having been through this myself my perspective has been forever changed when I see others losing their homes. Breaks my heart. And the way these fires just rip through, it's terrifying for all (evacuees, family members, animals, the list goes on).

All the best. Stay safe.

Emily Cocks
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're in Ojai, PTSD was sparked pretty hard as we watched the fire in Malibu from Santa Barbara on Friday night. Actually hoping for a dry winter, for Malibu's sake.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was evacuated from Friday - Tuesday, beyond happy to be home, with a home to go to.

Assuming the air quality is ok, I was thinking about riding Mulholland/Cornell/Decker etc this weekend to check out how bad it was.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took a closer look at the fire map today. Looks like Latigo to Yerba Buena, every canyon is burned out. Mulholland will be unpassable, saw a photo of a bridge between the Old Place and Rock Store, steel had melted and asphalt collapsed

Topanga, Piuma and Stunt seemed to be spared

ETA photo

Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 14, 18 21:28
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Fires, so much destructon [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
View yesterday from plane into Burbank, gives some appreciation to the size of these things.

Quote Reply