Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy?
Quote | Reply
I am trying some shorter cranks on my tri bike and am considering pedal based power to replace my Quarq. I love my pioneer left sided meters on my 2 road bikes but $550 for dual sided power (with clever training discount code) seems appealing. Are P1 pedals any good? I know the P2 just came out but I hate the silver color. Also, I can’t handle dropout or erroneous readings. My pioneers are flawless. May just get another shorter one of those.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are awesome. I have many thousands of miles on mine. If they died, I would buy a new set tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only downside is a possible aero penalty if your foot is especially flat at 6:00. Pointy toe-ers do not see the same drag.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
The only downside is a possible aero penalty if your foot is especially flat at 6:00. Pointy toe-ers do not see the same drag.

Sanders uses them, They dont seem to slow him down

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P1 is single sided and P2 is dual sided. Thats how I read it. I see P1 at 450 and p2 is 900 without the discount. If we can get dual side at $550 let me know how to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
P1 is single sided and P2 is dual sided. Thats how I read it. I see P1 at 450 and p2 is 900 without the discount. If we can get dual side at $550 let me know how to do it.
No. The P1 pedals are the first generation dual-sided. The P1S are single-sided. The P2 is the current gen (2nd gen) dual-sided. The P2S is single sided.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Gonefishin5555 wrote:

No. The P1 pedals are the first generation dual-sided. The P1S are single-sided. The P2 is the current gen (2nd gen) dual-sided. The P2S is single sided.

Correct.

Also, I have the P1s (a couple of years on them now) and have had no complaints.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

Sanders uses them, They dont seem to slow him down

post hoc fallacy

But yeah, they are pretty great. I've been riding mine since launch. AFAIK, all the bugs are worked out and they should be considered in the "just works" category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recall reading that the improvements in P2 are fairly mild, and nothing I saw being worth a $400 premium

P1s at $550 is a steal. Mine have been flawless for 2 years and I swap twice a week between bikes.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 8, 18 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got refurbished P1 last Black Friday for $540. Been using them one year on both my bikes (Trek SC + Kestrel talon road). Very easy to swap between bikes. Battery last very long(1000 miles approximate to change on mew one). The only one problem i got, sometimes my garmin 520 says "missed right power meter" just press "ok" and it reads power fine. Last year powertap released update for p1 which should have fixed this issue, but i still sometimes receive this error. For this money it is a great choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okay thanks I figured it out now. The P1 pedals didnt come up in my original search but I found them at $680 less 20% would be $544. They are a 1st gen product so not as good as the 2nd gen? I am leaning toward getting single side in the newer pedals cause I need to buy a gps bike computer to go with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Is not a huge upgrade. Slightly longer battery life. Slightly lighter. Better seals against the element. And the different color.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The PowerTap P1 pedals are awesome. Looking at V2 I see zero reason to pay the premium as they’re hardly any different.

For the moment you save over V2 snap them up!!

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P1 don't seem to be available (but P1s are). maybe a CT glitch or a temporary thing. EDIT - I did not see them on the link from power meters / pedals - but they appear from brands / powertap and the 20% code works. So, dual sided PowerTap P1 for $544. Hmmm...

I also *tried* to get Assioma DUO at 20% off - no dice for me...
Last edited by: giorgitd: Nov 8, 18 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Assioma pedals are one of the few exclusions from the 20% off.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 ( dual side) for $550 on clever training...good buy? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weird. I was looking at the P1 on their site like an hour ago. Now they’re gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start at 'brands' and hit up powertap. I found the P1 that way and the 20% off worked. Now the big Q - should I pull the trigger?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pulled the trigger!
Quote Reply