Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Corrosion due to sweat on trainer
Quote | Reply
Long story short. Lots of corrosion on one of my bikes due to sweat.

What parts should actually be replaced for safety reasons when there is corrosion due to sweat.
Quote Reply
Re: Corrosion due to sweat on trainer [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With "attorney" in your moniker, I'm not about to answer that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m assuming you are talking bolts vs actual painted components. Replace them with stainless and do it sooner than later, as they only get harder to extract.

Front brakes can get messed up too. Take a good look at it and replace if unsure. Good excuse to pick up a tririg brake.

Going forward cover with plastic wrap and use a towel.
Quote Reply
Re: Corrosion due to sweat on trainer [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Add to that, a coating of grease on bolt heads. I might go so far as silicone caulking around the headset this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by covering with plastic wrap? Like Saran wrap for cooking? You wrap your bike in it? Won’t sweat still get under it via the overlaps making cleaning even harder? And finally, do you have an image or two you can share?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give all your parts a spray of Boeshield T-9 or maybe the new Muc-Off sweat-proof anti-corrosion spray-gunk (which is about 1/2 the price of Boeshield).

Here's my take on alloy handlebar prep using Boeshield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cfqdvbDFMg

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Corrosion due to sweat on trainer [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a very wide roll - I believe it is from Costco. I wrap the front brake first. Then the head tube / stem. I also wrap the brake levers, as found I was corroding the levers too. I try to keep all the seams so they aren’t catching and holding sweat / water.

I lay a towel on top, which does the bulk of the work and limits the size of the puddle that builds up underneath the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Yeah i think i messed up the front break (at least something dealing with resetting the break). will replace it this year (I started using a towel and stuff a couple of months ago, which should limit the damage).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I use a very wide roll - I believe it is from Costco. I wrap the front brake first. Then the head tube / stem. I also wrap the brake levers, as found I was corroding the levers too. I try to keep all the seams so they aren’t catching and holding sweat / water.

I lay a towel on top, which does the bulk of the work and limits the size of the puddle that builds up underneath the trainer.

I found the towel around/ontop of the front brake is key. The saran wrap wasn't helpful for me because it doesn't soak up small beads of sweat - it was more of a pain to deal with than not. A small towel around the top though soaks up everything and keeps things nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my last bike, I did 90% of my training indoors. I swapped bolts when I started getting closer to the race just in case. I would also cake grease in the bolt holes and cover with Saran wrap. Had a sweat guard and towel over the base bars as well (on top of the Saran Wrap). For a 4.5 hour ride, I could soak through 3 towels and leave a puddle on the ground, so I went overboard. Changing the bolts was a "just in case" thing, but to be honest, with the grease, wrap, and towels covering, they weren't in that bad of shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Corrosion due to sweat on trainer [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know why they do it but its still beyond me that "Big Bike" uses any bolt that isn't stainless steal on a tri-bike. It's a 100% guarantee the bike is going to get wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my guide for highly abused bikes that are ridden hard and put away WET.
I've seen some baaaaaad cases, some involve a complete overhaul (because it hasn't been overhauled in three years). It's easier/faster to replace a part than to uninstall/clean/reinstall and hope for the best in performance.

remind me to tell you the story of the guy who had a raccoon eat thru his frame!

Use Marine Grade grease.
completely dissassemble stem and steerer. replace all bolts
replace brake and shift cables and housing
install new upper and lower headset bearings
remove all DNA from inside the stem, between spacers, etc.
check the compression plug inside the steerer, grease.

cable entry points on the downtube and top tube are also entry points for water and DNA, so replace ferrules and clean. Inspect carbon for corrosion.

check the front wheel for corrosion, especially the nipples and spoke holes. check rim strip replace as needed.

service or replace BB

service pedal spindles

dissassemble seatpost clamp, replace bolts. remove post from frame, clean and reassemble. Inspect seatpost clamp and replace bolts if corrosion evident.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Corrosion due to sweat on trainer [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you clean the bike every 2-3 weeks you should be okay without having to wrap anything.

Also get a sweat band/cover. Has a loop that goes around the seatpost and you velcro it to the handlebar. Will stop the majority of the sweat on the bike. Plus it's washable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This: https://www.spinervals.com/products/item125.cfm

I’ve had mine for ten years and it’s worth every penny!

The only way to avoid disappointment is to not try anything at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Corrosion due to sweat on trainer [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caulk where the crank arms meet chainring spider as well as liberal grease around pedal threads etc.
Best to not use handlebar tape either.
Quote Reply