Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

15m-20m Pro draft Kona
Quote | Reply
I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff on this sprinkled in the forum but wanted to keep it simple. I’m curious if there’s more to it or if it ‘could be’ an easy change if they wanted?

Is there a specific reason for there not to be a 15m or 20m draft zone for Pros in Kona?

What does WTC/Wanda have to lose by changing that for the Pros?

Would that mean all IM’s would have to change the draft zone for pro races?
Last edited by: mitchrapp: Nov 7, 18 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: 15m-20m Pro draft Kona [mitchrapp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have asked before, as recently as Kona, and it doesn't sound like an extended draft zone is likely. I have also asked about a yellow-card sort of drafting situation which are doled out a little more loosely and would result in a 1 minute penalty for unintentional drafting. This was suggested to be much more likely.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 15m-20m Pro draft Kona [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they give/explain why it’s unlikely? It seems like it could be changed and have no impact (negatively) on the race. Unless I’m missing something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your question presumes that the current draft zone is a "problem" in the eyes of WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: 15m-20m Pro draft Kona [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Your question presumes that the current draft zone is a "problem" in the eyes of WTC.

This.

You've presumed there is a problem that needs to be fixed and you have found a solution to it. So you can't understand why your fix isn't being done.
It isn't being done because the people who make the decision don't think a fix is needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would make triathlon even worse to watch. The packs are good for viewing.
Quote Reply
Re: 15m-20m Pro draft Kona [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a good point, thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We also saw the problems caused when pros had a larger draft zone than AGers. Fast male AGers would just legally slot in between female pros, disrupting the female pro race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few things

1. I think vainness in the fact that this would be WTC "following" someone else's rules to make a "fairer" race.

2. I actually think the current rules allow better "pack" racing versus seeing 12 guys 11s apart. While the 20m makes a better "individual" race, I don't know if that makes a "better" race (meaning taking the whole thing into account of does less excitement make it less watchable....if so, then they'll stick to the current rules to allow some "excitement" in the race).

3. 20m rule takes out the officials more and more. Riding 18.9m behind someone vs 11.2m isn't as big of a deal and so right now it's important to "officiate" the race well. The more you take out the draft zone, you decrease the importance of officials (even if they miss at times very obvious drafting penalties now).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who will change the reflectors?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about others but I would have a difficult time judging between 15 and 20 meters to keep the correct distance.
Quote Reply
Re: 15m-20m Pro draft Kona [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Corrected for clarification!
Quote Reply
Re: 15m-20m Pro draft Kona [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I don't know about others but I would have a difficult time judging between 15 and 20 meters to keep the correct distance.
Someone awhile back suggested they should just attach a string of the appropriate length to everyone's bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I know what you meant, it's just that I'd find it difficult to know if I was at a legal distance or not. 20 meters is 65 feet and that's a long distance to judge and I have pretty good eyesight.

I suppose I could count 2 seconds from the wheel in front of me, that might be the easiest way to judge.
Quote Reply