Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SOS - Cape Cod edition
Quote | Reply
Just popped up in my facebook feed.

http://sos-capecod.com/

Website talks about an "SOS Championships" on the traditional course, so perhaps more on the way?
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 6, 18 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Cape Cod edition [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Living in MA, and knowing what Cape Cod is like in the summer with traffic and elder drivers, it may be a challenge to put on a race in this location of limited roads and increase in summer vacation. This is early season and just about when MA public school lets out so may be on the cusp of super busy season. It will be a beautiful location. I don't go to the Cape in the Summer but in the Fall-Spring and I live about an hour away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a really cool race, although being from southern MA I'm also concerned about the traffic and general congestion on the Cape at that time of year. Also $425 is pretty steep!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Cape Cod edition [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took part in the "Recon" event they did for this two summers ago. I don't know how much of the course that we did will be used, but if they stick to what we did I don't expect traffic to be an issue. With this being on the Outer Cape and bike coming first and early in the morning I don't see traffic as a major concern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to do this event, but the combination of the sherpa requirement and cape cod during peak season seem rough. Everything I've looked so far is a 2 or 3 night minimum, so a quick trip leaving the kids home seems impossible. Getting them up at 5AM so they can sherpa with my wife seems uncool.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Cape Cod edition [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I'd love to do this event, but the combination of the sherpa requirement and cape cod during peak season seem rough. Everything I've looked so far is a 2 or 3 night minimum, so a quick trip leaving the kids home seems impossible. Getting them up at 5AM so they can sherpa with my wife seems uncool.

Honestly if they're going to start expanding as it seems they may be, I'd just prefer them to jump on the swim / run train. Makes training and racing easier and perhaps attract more participants as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

Honestly if they're going to start expanding as it seems they may be, I'd just prefer them to jump on the swim / run train. Makes training and racing easier and perhaps attract more participants as well

I can see the appeal of that, but for me personally I want the bike. I just think that, especially w/ a $425 entry fee, they could handle a transition bag and transporting the bikes to the finish so a sherpa isn't required.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Cape Cod edition [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

I can see the appeal of that, but for me personally I want the bike. I just think that, especially w/ a $425 entry fee, they could handle a transition bag and transporting the bikes to the finish so a sherpa isn't required.

425!? I hadn’t looked. Unfortunately for me i had to let SOS NY go next year. Would have been my 4th but couldn’t justify nearly 600 with fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was this race that made me post a few days ago about measuring value in a race. this is essentially a little longer than an Olympic Tri, 1.25 mi swim, 27mi on the bike, and 9 mi on the run. so roughly 30-45 min longer than an olympic tri, with maybe a few extra minutes for all the transitions....so probably FOP's 2.5-3hrs racing for $425? And you also have to convince a friend or significant other to give you 2 days of their time (and the hotel issue mentioned above) Pretty pricey in the end, especially if you are doing this to get into SOS (which is another $525) Whining aside, I really do like the sound of this race and want to do it, and want it to succeed. The problem is the RD's know they've got a good thing going with SOS and probably figure they can jack the price on this up beyond what is reasonable for a 3 hr race and they know people will pay it. It just feels like a slap in the face.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Cape Cod edition [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly hadn’t thought about that, was thinking of it like a half, but you are right is closer to oly. I’d still be interested if it were easier logistically, but the sum of it all seems too much. Hope they do well though, maybe a future year.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply