Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacement 735XT or Suunto/Polar?
Quote | Reply
After two years of not leaking like other 735XTs, mine has started to die. Seems like the battery is the issue causing a dodgy display. At full charge everything is fine, but after 30 minutes the display struggles to render. Unit is two years old, so outside of warranty.

Garmin have offered a replacement unit for $100. I’ve not had much luck with Garmin products, which I was hoping I could put everything into Garmin Connect. I held off getting a 520 Plus as I’ve started to doubt Garmin.

Should I get the replacement? I do miss a barometric altimeter over a GNSS altimeter. I like the daily tracker part of the 735XT...

I’ve used Suunto’s Movescount. Not used Polar’s website. Anyone got any thoughts? Recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement 735XT or Suunto/Polar? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My n=1 experience with Garmin (735, 935, fenix) and Suunto (Spartan, 9):
  • Garmin Connect mobile app way better than movescount
  • Need to use movescount web app to change Suunto watch screen layouts,etc. Can't do it directly on the watch
  • Garmin Connect tracks HR, sleep for reporting, etc. Suunto watch kind of does but that data remains mainly on the watch
  • Suunto does not support ANT+ sensors, BT only
  • Suunto Spartan and 9 both sucked at indoor lap swimming. Dealbreaker for me. Garmin much more reliable.
  • Suunto 9 smart battery usage seems cool
  • Garmin Connect IQ offers lots of custom apps/development
  • Can't comment on Polar as they just came out of the stone ages with their new watch lineup.

Read dcrainmaker's reviews, that should help guide your decision.

Cheers,

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While Wahoo makes a good case for a non-Garmin bike computer, I don't think any company is beating Garmin at watches. If $100 gets you another 2 years...that's $.50 a week, what, a dime a workout? Cheap!

If you really want the baro altimeter back, I'd recommend getting the new/refurb 735 for $100...sell it for $250, buy the 935 for $450. That is a $300 altimeter, but you also get a much bigger battery as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminders guys. The main thing that will probably keep me Garmin for the short term is ANT+ and Bluetooth in one unit.

P2M S is ANT+, so things suddenly get more expensive. Will probably get the replacement and then look at PM options over the next year. P2M S works great for my needs; loathe to change it for nothing.

Garmin gets the $ for another year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same position last year, starting to doubt Garmin and thinking about moving to another brand. But then I got a Fenix 5s after a recommendation and it was the best thing I ever did. The Fenix is by far superior to any of the older Garmin models both in features and build quality. Worth the extra investment for me.

Cam Langsford, Founder at Training Tilt
Should you be selling training plans as part of your business model?
Why your endurance coaching website maybe ignoring 97% of visitors
Free authentic marketing course for endurance coaches
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can continue to have your data on Garmin Connect while using Polar or Suunto. Get the "Sync My Tracks" app and you can share data among the various training platforms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replaced my 735XT with a 935 and have been super happy. Me, I would get the $100 replacement 735XT from Garmin Support, sell it, and then upgrade to the 935. Well worth the hassle in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of the Suunto or Polar.
Quote Reply