Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful, she can be a cruel mistress! But, some of us are into that sort of thing 😉.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate running with the burning fiery passion of hell. If I stopped racing, I'd never run again unless something were chasing me. The hassle of getting ready to run is almost all mental for me; running is slow and painful and just not fun. I do get some satisfaction from knowing that I have conquered a triathlon that I just don't think I'd get from aquabike. So I keep running. Slowly.

I love to ride my bike, though. Doesn't even need to be fast, just a nice mosey to watch the world go by.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love bike riding the most although I really enjoy swimming just because there's so much to learn (AOS started 2 years ago) and so much to get better at, so I can really sink my teeth in there. Enjoy running as well because it's easy to just put on your shoes and step out of the door, it takes less time generally and is an easy way to clear your mind as well. Unfortunately I'm (like many of us probably) more prone to injuries through running which takes some of the enjoyment away..
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really do love swimming. That's why I've stayed with it my whole life. In the last several years, I've had more fun swimming than I had in most of the years before that. I swim because I love it, and have had some swim experiences that are amazing and fun outside of the concrete box. Open-water swimming has meant living much more on the edge (safety, cold temps, jumping locked fences, etc) and experiencing some beautiful sunrises and scenery. Swimming is a completely immersive experience, and even more so in the dark, when all the world pulls completely in to just the sound of the stroke and the breaths.

That said, I voted for RUNNING in the context of triathlon. In my IM years, 2008-10, I was coming off a great base I had built in running. I quit swimming almost completely from about 2000-2008 to devote to running. I came off cancer treatments in 2000, and needed to get back into shape, while also getting sunlight to battle SAD. Running fit those requirements, and I started training for marathons. My first was in 2001, and I was hooked. It totally appealed to my work ethic and goal-setting. For a short guy built like a swimmer, I probably overachieved, with a BQ in 2005 at age 33 (3:09.xx; ran Boston 2007). I loved experiencing nature. I had rules: I'd run in clear conditions or flurries in temps above 23, and would wear shorts in any conditions above 32 degrees. I used to run along Lake Michigan, in the mountains of Maryland, through the landmarks in DC, and got to know my homes that way. I carried that with me in training for IM. I took swimming completely for granted because of my swim background (55:xx no wetsuit), still loved the running, and barely tolerated the biking.

I haven't run as a workout in over a year, but I will be starting again soon. I'm about 90km away from my year-long goal of 1000km swimming in 2018, and when I get there, I'll take a few weeks to devote more time to running. I need to buy shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Running for me...by a longshot.

Running is the ultimate battle versus self in my opinion. It's one foot in front of the other, no worrying about flats, aero helmets, rolling resistance or any of that.

I do enjoy biking, the man connected with machine aspect, and I really enjoy tinkering with bikes but I would gladly give up biking for running if I had to choose.

You summed up my position perfectly.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
If I could run as much as I wanted without getting injured, I don't know if I'd be a triathlete.

+1
run injuries led to large amounts of cross-training, then thought might as well do a tri since already doing all the training.

though if I lived by the ocean instead of the mountains, I could happily open-water swim as my single sport..

like to bike, but it's not a passion. Too much gear needed, and traffic dangers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, it's bike, all the way. Partially out of necessity, as swimming just isn't that available, and running is something I had to give up several years ago (or, I guess I could have ANOTHER foot surgery and start up again). I pretty much don't miss swimming at all. The running, though, I do sometimes. Like those doubtful days when the smarter call is to ride indoors -- I could run in those conditions. But I've immersed myself in cycling, and it's a good fit for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
though if I lived by the ocean instead of the mountains, I could happily open-water swim as my single sport..

Me too, although I'd probably prefer beach running with occasional refreshing dips in the aqua.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? on] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn’t race a trip last year and have been slowly declining the last 4-5 years. Work and three kids have me single sporting it at this point.

That single sport is bike racing.

The last few years have gone something like this:

-Ride and race fat bikes all winter
-Race crits and road races starting early spring and ending in August
- then my personal favorite and focus, Race a full calendar of CX races starting in early August through mid November.

For me CX racing is where it’s at. This year was the first year I raced the amateur races at both Jingle Cross and Trek CX cup. Always chose just one weekend as they are both 4ish hour drives.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m old(er), 61 now. Running just ain’t as fun, especially with a bad knee. I like swimming but the sensory deprivation, while nice in its own way, tilts the table to the bike,

Plus go fast and coolest equipment....

There is nothing like the sound of a tribike ripping along at 35 mph on a nice downhill...pure bliss

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I voted for the bike. I've done all three all my life for enjoyment, exercise, and a little competition at times. However, it wasn't until I started doing triathlons that I started biking seriously...and I love it. Swimming and running are more solitary pursuits for me, whereas biking is the more social of the three. I have always loved swimming, but I'm not a very fast swimmer (prefer just to cruise along enjoying being in the water). When I was younger, I loved to run...for 200 yrds or less going as fast as I could. I never liked distance running. Put me on a bike and I like going fast for a long time. It seems I'm pretty good at that, so that's why I it like the most. That said, the ease of just going out the door for a run has me running a lot more than biking or swimming, which is good since it's my weakest area...and I don't hate running long distance anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [atxtri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a toss up between swimming and cycling for me (I'm an AOS btw). But I chose swimming to give it some love in the poll. What is for certain, is that I LOATHE running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though I swam in college, I still vote for swimming. It's quiet. No phones, no traffic, no distractions. Plus, it uses just about all of your muscles at the same time. Science has shown time and time again that swimming will extend your life and keep you healthy for that life.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like all the sports at different times and different reasons... I voted bike to open sponsorship deals for Dan
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Even though I swam in college, I still vote for swimming. It's quiet. No phones, no traffic, no distractions. Plus, it uses just about all of your muscles at the same time. Science has shown time and time again that swimming will extend your life and keep you healthy for that life.

THIS^^^^^ +1000.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I voted for swimming because for me it is the a great sport throughout all the year. Running in autumn, winter and spring is a lot of fun. However, during summer it is just too exhausting in the heat. In the contrary, cycling in the summer heat is fabulous. But as soon as the weather is not that hot and sunny anymore and the days become darker, cycling is not so much of a joy.

Swimming, however, is something that I can enjoy all year. In the winter I swim in the pool and do not have to worry about rain or snow. In the summer I can swim in the lake or the ocean which is always a great experience. Also, completing hard swim workouts is most satisfying for me because I feel that I really worked a lot with all parts of my body, but unlike in cycling or running my bones and tendons do not hurt at all.

All in all, swimming is not only the sport that I consider to be the healthiest, but I can also enjoy swimming without competing. Moreover, when I do not swim for a longer time I can just hop into the pool and enjoy whereas in running it is impossible. I have almost done no training in the last 3 years and began to train again one and a half months ago. After one week, I felt like I have never stopped swimming. Cycling is ok, but not great and running still is a struggle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started doing triathlons, I would love riding my bike more than anything in the world - the speed, the freedom! Before that, I would love to run long distances, especially in trails. But now, I came to appreciate the swimming more than the others.

The time in the pool lends itself to lots of meditation and it's great to get the mind cleared of the everyday white noise of worries. OWS is a totally different cup of tea though. If it's in the ocean, one has to learn to respect its might, but it pays off: you can see great scenery, a whole array of ocean animals and explore places that are not often visited by other people.

Man, I f*****g love OWS!
Quote Reply

Prev Next