Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
"Unlike Mike Riley, I don't believe you are an Ironman if you walk more than the aid stations"

A quote from a well known Swiss based, Australian Tri coach when recruiting for his mens AG team.

As someone that has walked a decent chunk of both my IM marathons so far. And is never going to trouble the age group podium. This applies to me. I'm not offended by the statement, it actually motivates me a little. So fair comment or deliberate provocation/elitism?

https://www.spiritmultisport.com/...na-walkers-listen-up[

Ah, the pathetic flailing of someone looking for attention because his athletes are getting more than he is (deservedly so). Reminds me of some country president...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of the Hitler does Ironman parody:

"anyone who hasn't the Ironman marathon without walking, leave the room"

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run the first 13.1 miles nonstop, walk the aid stations during the next 10 miles, walk and shuffle run the next 3 miles, sprint the last 0.1 miles, puke after the finish line, settle into a nice coma overnight back at your hotel room.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'd need to
Define "Run"
Define "Shuffle"
Define "Walk"

Basically there is no way to enforce that everyone "runs" in a triathlon, or, for that matter, any road race.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Nov 6, 18 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walk the darn marathon, get the tattoo, shout to the heavens- if you make the cut, you make the cut. Who are you hurting exactly? Hell- I bet those are the racers keeping the smaller IMs afloat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have completed 10 IMs now in 11 attempts (1 DNF this year at Louisville due to hypothermia).

My times ranged from 15:10 (first one) to a 9:29 earlier this year. Of those 10 I ran the whole marathon in 5 of them. The other 5 involved at least some amount of walking.

On Sunday I completed the Haines City version of IMFL. It took me 11:26. I had a good swim, and an OK but not great bike, but then exploded horribly on the run. I was hoping to pull off a 9:30-9:45 day there. But heat and hills on that run broke me so hard. With the way the course was set up, you passed near the finish line at miles 4, 11, and 18. I was walking so much of that run on Sunday. When I passed by the finish at mile 18 it was everything I had to give to head out for that last lap. I wanted to quit so bad. But I refused to let myself do it. Today I feel much more like "an Ironman" having finished that utter clusterfuck of a run than any of my three sub-10 performances. The time I put down was embarrassing because I should have been nearly 2 hours faster. But having slept on it a bit, I realized this is probably the finish I am most proud of because I had to fight hard for it. At the time I certainly wasn't proud of it, and Mike Reilly even demanded I smile as he called my name when I ran through the chute. I guess I was scowling pretty hard.

Walking the run? That was so much harder than the "good" days I have had where everything was firing on all cylinders and I was crushing the sub-10.

So screw anyone that says you aren't "an Ironman" because of some stupid performance expectation.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What should probably be a new cut off is double the time of the winner. This will make courses more equal, rather than people asking which is easiest. Especially when courses get shortened like this year
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ndrfnnut wrote:
How about this: your “run” has to be at least 60’ less than your bike or you’re DQ’d?

Does it still count if your last IM was in 2007?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
"Unlike Mike Riley, I don't believe you are an Ironman if you walk more than the aid stations"

A quote from a well known Swiss based, Australian Tri coach when recruiting for his mens AG team.

As someone that has walked a decent chunk of both my IM marathons so far. And is never going to trouble the age group podium. This applies to me. I'm not offended by the statement, it actually motivates me a little. So fair comment or deliberate provocation/elitism?

https://www.spiritmultisport.com/...na-walkers-listen-up[

Brett Sutton should be in a jail cell, not writing bullshit on the internet.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:

Regarding the sexual abuse, Chrissie Wellington applied a critical eye and found it acceptable to be coached by him so that's good enough for me.

Would you let him coach your 14 year old daughter (assuming you had one)?

Didn't think so. So apply that with a critical eye.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I've always thought the "you are an ironman" phrase is a little silly, no? Like when someone says "are you an ironman?" "Well, no, but I've done a few Ironman races." (all of which involved walking)

So, I guess I agree with him :P

The phrase is rather stupid. I mean...the one Ironman race I completed, Mike Reilly said those words and I was pretty offended. I was like..."dude...you don't even know me."
Last edited by: Jason N: Nov 6, 18 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread. I agree that's its driven by branding. Ironman wants 2,500+ people at each of their races and wants everyone to feel good about themselves even if they need to walk all or part of the marathon. People sometimes say to me "oh you're a triathlete". I say "no, I'm an engineer that does some triathlons" People like Frodo, Rinny etc., they're triathletes, it's their profession.

I've only done one full, IMLOU in 2016 and my goal was to finish AND run the entire marathon. After legs cramps I walked mostly from mile 16 to mile 24. I actually ran miles 25 and 26 and mile 26 was my fastest mile split of the day. I was happy to finish but personally I don't feel I've properly completed a 140.6 race. I won't feel I've conquered that distance until I run the whole marathon. That's a personal goal I put on myself. If there comes a day when I can no longer run or I know I won't be able to run the entire run leg of a race, I'll drop triathlon and race aquabike or just do road racing/TT's etc. It's swim, bike, RUN to me.

I'm still upset at these babied down rolling swim starts. To me part of racing is getting you're butt kicked during that frenzied mass swim start, oh how I miss the mayhem.....
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the sexual abuse, Chrissie Wellington applied a critical eye and found it acceptable to be coached by him so that's good enough for me.

Would you let him coach your 14 year old daughter (assuming you had one)?

And, would Chrissie Wellington allow her 14 year old daughter (if she had one) to be coached or left alone with him?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

tuckandgo wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Click bait from someone who deserves no respect.

Exactly this. If you sexually abuse your child athletes = Not a real coach. Period.

That's rather dogmatic. He's one of the best coaches in the sport. Period.

And this guy was a GREAT watercolor painter (I saw two of his works with my own eyes). Period.[/img]

And this guy made GREAT movies. Period.

And this doctor who worked at Michigan State had the GREATEST results with USA Gymnastics. I could not find photos of Larry Nassar which are labeled for noncommercial reuse. Period.[/img]

USA Triathlon needs to foster coaches who are not convicted child molesters and predators or associated with such people. Brett Sutton is a cancer in our sport. Period.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all for anyone finishing an IM within the time limits in any legal manner they want and calling themselves an Ironman. On multi-loop courses, however, I just wish that while they walk/stagger/supermarket shop at the aid stations, they could me more aware of others and not get in the way when I'm running for a KQ spot and the guy I'm chasing is 100m up the road and hauling ass.

As for the post about not being an Ironman if you walk more than the aid stations, another poster mentioned it already. If you are the target audience, you agree with this ethos. He is recruiting for an elite AG team.

As for his past, the facts are he is a child molester and he is a great triathlon coach. He served his punishment. (I presume) That cannot make up for what he did. Everyone is free to make up his or her mind on their attitudes towards convicted criminals and the possibility for a human being to change and attempt to atone for what they have done during the rest of their lives.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mayhem is there waiting for you in most sprint and Olympic distance tris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
That's rather dogmatic. He's one of the best coaches in the sport. Period.

Being the coach of a winner doesn't inherently make you a good coach

Good coaches bring out the best in a variety of athletes, not just a highly self-selected group of extreme pointy-enders that dare enter his regime and survive the beat-down. There are also a lot of burnouts from Sutton's program who very well could have and/or did flourish under other programs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to hear him say that to Ben Hoffman after Ben had to walk the entire IMSA run course this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
What should probably be a new cut off is double the time of the winner. This will make courses more equal, rather than people asking which is easiest. Especially when courses get shortened like this year
There's some major problems with that proposal:
Competitiors close to the cutoff will not know what they actually need to do since the cutoff will not be determined until the winner finishes.
Which winner? The winner overall, the winner of your sex or the winner of your AG?
What if the winner is DQd later? Was an invalid cutoff used?
Is it right that the ability of the winner determine what's asked of those at the other end of the field?
Will this make races with weaker pro fields easier races?

IMO, there's no need to accurately equalise races, which is good because there's also no way to do it.
If you did want to adjust for significantly easier or harder courses, that can easily be done in advance of the race without waiting for the winners time.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another 'look how awesome I am' slowtwitch thread.

Can't believe no one has brought up the suggestion of people needing qualifications in order to swim....isn't that another favorite?

You guys who are lucky enough to have the ability to run the entire marathon should be thanking all those slower folks, as those are the majority and they keep this industry alive. If WTC were to implement the suggestions here, there wouldn't be any more IM races for all the slowtwitch pro's to attend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two views, both pink-ish:

1. The copyright view - WTC says I'm an Ironman if I finish within the rules (including time limits). Who cares what anyone else has to say?
2. The textualist view - The defining text is "Whoever finishes first, we'll call him the Ironman". From this we conclude that only the winner is the ironman, and that only men can be the ironman. There is only one Ironman at a time (like a King) and it is currently Pat Lange. Who cares what anyone else has to say?

Argue if you like, but you're wrong.

Munq
Quote Reply

Prev Next