Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I closed the gap between my pool swim and OWS+wetsuit race swim times - could it be sighting practice?
Quote | Reply
Just did an Oly race, and for the first time I managed to cut the gap between my pool swim paces and OWS paces to essentially zero, meaning for the first time in my tri career I didn't swim slower by 7-10 (or more) sec/100 in OWS compared to what I'd expect in the pool. Finally dropped under 1:30/100yds for the Oly OWS, compared to my normal 1:40-1:52/100yd paces in all my other races.

Note I'm comparing times using my self-recorded Garmin recording of the swim leg where I manually start/stop the swim segment, as I've found that races can vary quite a lot with their so-called 1500m race distance. (I can confirm that the GPS trace isn't totally wacky on the map.)

This and my other races were also loop courses that start/stop in the identical spot so you can't get much of an unfair one-way current advantage.

While I definitely felt stronger and far more confident during the entirety of this race swim, I was definitely NOT in my top swim form compared to my prior self. The one thing that I did do differently though, is that I took pool sighting practice very seriously in the 4-5 wks prior to race day, with increasing sighting added in until I was doing entire workouts sighting every 3rd-5th cycle 2 wks out from race day. Was annoying for sure at first, but got used to it quick.

I can't help but feel that sighting practice made a big difference for me - it really FELT that way on the swim, with a lot of confidence for once even with a ton of bodies in the start. I didn't have the luxury of doing true OWS practice at all before race day, but I felt that pool sighting was a pretty good simulation of it, and might even be better if you have better pool than OWS access.

Any reason why sighting practice is rarely mentioned as a key piece of OWS performance for the big pack of AGers that are constantly bemoaning their status in the MOP or BOP on the swim?
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 5, 18 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: I closed the gap between my pool swim and OWS+wetsuit race swim times - could it be sighting practice? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm.... I get advice to practice sighting every time I ask about ows. Of course my real track looks a lot like garmin says it does. :(

It's funny, the last few weeks at the pool I've had a ton of traffic to deal with: kids goofing off, parents not paying attention, swimmers who can't stay split lane, etc. So, I haven't been sighting per se, but I've had to keep my head on a swivel, so to speak---making sure I'm not about to run into someone.

That's given me lots of opportunity to decouple my head position from body position. The first few times id look forward to see what's ahead I could feel myself slow down and my body drop. But, now I can look full forward at the "+" on the far wall without loosing pace.

Maybe there's hope for me, too?
Quote Reply
Re: I closed the gap between my pool swim and OWS+wetsuit race swim times - could it be sighting practice? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Hmmm.... I get advice to practice sighting every time I ask about ows. Of course my real track looks a lot like garmin says it does. :(

It's funny, the last few weeks at the pool I've had a ton of traffic to deal with: kids goofing off, parents not paying attention, swimmers who can't stay split lane, etc. So, I haven't been sighting per se, but I've had to keep my head on a swivel, so to speak---making sure I'm not about to run into someone.

That's given me lots of opportunity to decouple my head position from body position. The first few times id look forward to see what's ahead I could feel myself slow down and my body drop. But, now I can look full forward at the "+" on the far wall without loosing pace.

Maybe there's hope for me, too?

Yes there is hope! But looking forward once in awhile no problem does differ from being able to look forward repeatedly, every 3rd-5th stroke cycle, for the full 1500m distance. Even BOP swimmers can sight for a few lengths. Most MOP swimmers get flustered when they have to sight for more than 400m, even if they say they are 'good at sighting.'

I didn't realize how not comfortable I was at it until I really got it down - took most of the stress of race swimming out of my day when I noticed how natural and easy it was to sight, even at high effort.
Quote Reply
Re: I closed the gap between my pool swim and OWS+wetsuit race swim times - could it be sighting practice? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What distance did your Garmin record, what was your time, and what was the fastest OA swimmer's time??? The very fastest swimmer in whole race, not your 40-44 AG. Also, how many entries in the whole race???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Any reason why sighting practice is rarely mentioned as a key piece of OWS performance for the big pack of AGers that are constantly bemoaning their status in the MOP or BOP on the swim?

Because if you keep saying "watch where you are going" you end up sounding like someone's mom. So people revert to talking about stoke mechanics because it sounds cooler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently scoured the threads looking for the same info and found a few coaches saying they recommend more so practicing swimming straight and staying on toes, I think jonnyo somewhere stated that even if the people in front of you are drifting off, it's better in the bigger picture to save the energy following them.

As a MOP, I think that makes sense in large races, say 500+ people, depending on the organization of the swim start, but for me, if the race has <300 or very thinly spread start, it becomes important to practice if you have no one to hang with. But even then, I get the practice swimming straight, if you get confident enough you could sight once every like 7-9 strokes or longer, depending on currents. Unfortunately for me, I am not that confident.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: I closed the gap between my pool swim and OWS+wetsuit race swim times - could it be sighting practice? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Tower 26 podcast I was listening to a while back, had Gerry saying that he believes a good swimmer can gain about a 3% draft advantage off of someone's feet, and about 7% at their side (but you're also more likely to get smacked by the person you're drafting). But those were at FOP speeds and assumed that the FOP swimmer you were drafting knew how to sight well.

Then he said, basically, for everyone else, if you don't sight well then why would you try to draft another MOP/BOP swimmer who is probably no better at it? Spend more time learning to sight and less time learning to draft, because a shorter distance (straight) will be faster than drafting.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: I closed the gap between my pool swim and OWS+wetsuit race swim times - could it be sighting practice? [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the drafting advantage is much bigger than 3-7%

i would put it in the 10-20%. riding the hips in the sweet spot is a big advantage...but also slow down the front swimmer.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply