Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Incident
Quote | Reply
He was training for IM Arizona. Another tragedy in our community. Leaves behind a wife and three daughters. Be careful if you choose to train on the roads.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-fire-captain-dies-after-being-struck-by-suspected-dui-driver-while-riding-bike-officials-say?fbclid=IwAR1Q43aBohyf-e_2BVOV27RCB2bspFwImJI_ALEvOvHQa-PZuLUl9GsFNnU
Last edited by: r-b: Nov 5, 18 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Accident [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Tragic! Beautiful family ....
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Accident [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, maybe it because I have a daughter but the thought of 3 young girls losing their dad because of that. Oh boy. Im not a huge rider (4ish hrs/week) but the bulk of its on the trainer and i'd be outside more if it wasn't for the fear of distracted/careless/angry/inset your adjective drivers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if anyone is interested, here's the gofundme link

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Accident [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please change the title from accident to incident. The driver did not accidentally choose to drive under the influence (DUI). That is intentional choice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the local article it was a 25 year old under influence of controlled substances. They also found prescription bottles in his car, likely related. I always look up accidents on street view when they;re close to me, and this one is scary because there is a 5 feet wide, clearly marked bike lane on the section of Alicia Parkway where he was hit, I've ridden there. That and the fact that it was at 8am on a Saturday morning, when you don't expect drunk drivers out, makes it scary for all of us. Prayers for his family, he was probably doing his last long bike ride before IMAZ.
Last edited by: CP78: Nov 6, 18 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Incident [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very tragic. As the father of three girls this one hits very close to home. Prayers for the family.
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Accident [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Please change the title from accident to incident. The driver did not accidentally choose to drive under the influence (DUI). That is intentional choice

A favorite and true quote from Hot Fuzz, comedy movie but the line is so true when it comes to incidents like this. There's always a root cause and some kind of blame.

Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Accident [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
From the local article it was a 25 year old under influence of controlled substances. They also found prescription bottles in his car, likely related. I always look up accidents on street view when they;re close to me, and this one is scary because there is a 5 feet wide, clearly marked bike lane on the section of Alicia Parkway where he was hit, I've ridden there. That and the fact that it was at 8am on a Saturday morning, when you don't expect drunk drivers out, makes it scary for all of us. Prayers for his family, he was probably doing his last long bike ride before IMAZ.

under the influence and in possession of prescriptions meds. I look at the family pic and those beautiful little girls lost their daddy. He will not be there walk them down the aisle on their wedding day, be there to be a positive male influence in their lives. his widow now has to handle it all, try to do what dad would do, in addition to being mom. as a father, it scares me and this is why I don't ride outside anymore. too many distractions. this is happening far too frequently and changes need to happen. distracted drivers, DUI... its just far too scary and not worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drive by there most every day. There was an accident this morning just a block before. Looks like someone blew a red. My dash cam, though, caught the shrine. So sad.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Accident [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly. Every time this happens, I mentally try to convince myself how it couldn't have been me---"oh, I wouldn't ride there" or "I would never ride at that time of day." This one didn't have any of those usual excuses. Been on Alicia Parkway many times around that time of day. Scary.

Thoughts go out to his friends and family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to a family friend, he wasn't even on a training ride. He had just dropped his car off for service and was riding home ON THE SIDEWALK! This DB jumped the curb and took him out there. Unbelievable.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Incident [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy F, that person needs to be given the max

Jim@EROsports wrote:
According to a family friend, he wasn't even on a training ride. He had just dropped his car off for service and was riding home ON THE SIDEWALK! This DB jumped the curb and took him out there. Unbelievable.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Incident [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
holy F, that person needs to be given the max

Press release from the Orange County District Attorney's Office.

The driver has been charged with murder.

http://orangecountyda.org/...ut=12&Entry=5766
Last edited by: jeffernst: Nov 6, 18 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Incident [jeffernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see he was charged with felony murder and could face 15 yrs to life. Senseless tragedy, thoughts and prayers to the family.
Quote Reply
Re: California Fire Captain Dies in Bike Incident [JDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mug shot shows the killer DB in an Esperanza swim sweatshirt,
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Costa-Mesa-Fire-Captain-Murder-Charge-DUI-Suspect-Bicycle-Crash-499854011.html

Swim results online, looks like at one time he swam a 46/per 100, what a downward spiral to life in prison.
http://villaparkaquatics.com/uploads/3/5/1/1/35112640/century_league_all_time_top_ten_swims.pdf
https://www.ocregister.com/2010/04/23/foothill-swim-games-releases-boys-psych-sheet/
Last edited by: CP78: Nov 7, 18 11:58
Quote Reply