Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift for couple just starting
Quote | Reply
I searched some of the threads (and articles) and couldn't find the answers i needed. We are setting up our trainers and want to simultaneously ride on zwift and display them both on a larger screen/TV.

I understand that it will take two accounts/computers/phones (one for each trainer). But we were wondering if there was a way to display our rides split screen on one large screen or TV? Or do we get two LCD projectors and project them next to each other on the wall? Any advice from the more experienced zwift users would be a great help.

Thanks - rich
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [lushrm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you prob could get a tv / display that can do split screen, but the display from the individual inputs (the two sources displaying zwift) will be squished to fit on the screen.

to get the full screen size / ratio i would personally rather get a couple of cheaper tvs / displays.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you set your weight really low so you can feel good about yourself when passing everyone up the hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same situation in my household, and the best thing we've found is to use two different computers, which means that only one of us can use the one large tv. I wish that zwift had something similar to TrainerRoad's desktop companion app to allow for two windows screens running on one laptop simultaneously, but zwift doesn't yet have that feature so when we ride together and both want the big tv we go with TrainerRoad over zwift. If one of us is willing to forego the big tv then we can both zwift at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Make sure you set your weight really low so you can feel good about yourself when passing everyone up the hills.

Lol, second post, beat me to it.

Also #1 reason I don't Zwift.

The real world is very very very un-kind in the weight department for riding.

Also, it's a good lesson in not worrying always about what others are doing and do your thing. Enjoy the company with your training together.

As to the topic at hand........I'd say get a couple of 32" tv's for like $120 a piece so it doesn't look weird. Also, invest in a decent sized fan. It's critical with indoor training to maximize your workout. Does you no good only piddling about because your body is overheating. If the fan looks expensive for your taste.........you're probably looking at the right stuff. I deem a good sized box fan the bare minimum. I prefer a good solid 24 to 30" sized "shop fan".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, but I read through the thread because I met my wife on Zwift and thought that was what your original post was going to be about.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, go on. Tell your story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are ways to run multiple instances of Zwift on the one machine (Windows), but the messing about getting it working just isn't worth the time or hassle. It can also then break when there's updates. User support from Zwift will likely be difficult if you run into dramas... Again, not worth the time, imo.

Loading the mobile app on a phone or tablet and AirPlay or HDMI cabling those to a big screen is a 'cheap' solution if you have a compatible phone. AppleTV 4K (32GB version is fine) is the cheapest and easiest way to get a second setup. You don't need a 4K TV with the AppleTV 4K either, the name is misleading.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
triathlete37 wrote:

Also, it's a good lesson in not worrying always about what others are doing and do your thing. Enjoy the company with your training together.

As to the topic at hand........I'd say get a couple of 32" tv's for like $120 a piece so it doesn't look weird. Also, invest in a decent sized fan. It's critical with indoor training to maximize your workout. Does you no good only piddling about because your body is overheating. If the fan looks expensive for your taste.........you're probably looking at the right stuff. I deem a good sized box fan the bare minimum. I prefer a good solid 24 to 30" sized "shop fan".

"Also, invest in a decent sized fan." I love this. First, I agree that a fan is mandatory (unless you are trying to acclimate to racing in lava fields, etc.). But second, I like that the suggestion is one fan. Get that bad boy pointing right at you and let your SO suffer. You don't want to finish second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lushrm wrote:
I searched some of the threads (and articles) and couldn't find the answers i needed. We are setting up our trainers and want to simultaneously ride on zwift and display them both on a larger screen/TV.

I understand that it will take two accounts/computers/phones (one for each trainer). But we were wondering if there was a way to display our rides split screen on one large screen or TV? Or do we get two LCD projectors and project them next to each other on the wall? Any advice from the more experienced zwift users would be a great help.

Thanks - rich

If you're really adamant about the single-screen approach, you're going to want to contact Zwift for advice. They're quick to respond. However, I'd recommend against this setup unless you have a REALLY wide aspect monitor. The resolution is going to make your "game" either too small or in weird dimensions. If the idea is for you both to be able to see each other's vantage point, I'd just use a dual computer/laptop approach, keeping the keyboards close to you and extending the display to whatever distance you want. Or using a projector, as you mentioned, would be really awesome but expensive.

Also, as stated above (if you haven't already been cycling indoors), definitely get a powerful fan and lots of hand towels or wash cloths. This is a sweaty enterprise.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly wouldn't fool with single split screen. TVs are so dirt cheap now days (especially with black friday approaching) that cost is kinda irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lushrm wrote:

Thanks - rich

There are a number of HDMI switches that will do PIP, but having 2 screens is probably a better option. You can pick up a 32 inch TV for less than $120 at Best Buy. If your room is dark, a cheap projector (<$100) might work, but don't expect to be able to see the screen if there is any significant light.

https://smile.amazon.com/Zettaguard-Wireless-Switcher-Switches-ZW410/dp/B01BV1XBIY?sa-no-redirect=1

If you have Android phones, a Chromecast and Screen Mirroring will get Zwift on anything with an HDMI port. Otherwise, I'd look at the Apple TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can someone please explain to me the chromecast, phone, and mirroring thing to me. im not a computer guy and im having a hard time understanding how I can zwift without buying a $700 computer
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
can someone please explain to me the chromecast, phone, and mirroring thing to me. im not a computer guy and im having a hard time understanding how I can zwift without buying a $700 computer

If you want the simplest way to get zwift and all your sensors use bluetooth, get an apple tv and install zwift
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:

Here are the instructions for Mirroring your android phone screen to a chromecast.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

Once you've set up your Chromecast, it's relatively straight forward, just have to open the Google Home app, go to the Account section and choose Mirror Device. At that point it will pop up with a list of devices you can mirror your screen to. Select your Chromecast and anything on your phone's screen will also show on the TV. So if you open Zwift on your phone, you will see it on your TV.

LPT, the Chromecast is also nice for casting your travel photos from your phone to the big screen to bore your family with after thanksgiving dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
triathlete37 wrote:

Can't overemphasis the fans. I do my indoor riding in the garage where it is often around 30 degrees F in the winter. I have two fans blowing on me when I ride. Admittedly they are not the biggest fans, but you get the idea.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Shane,

Appreciate your work.

Question: In an Apple TV and Kickr setup, are there any limitations on distance between the components? That is, if the TV and Apple TV are 20 feet across the room, are there going to be connection issues with the Kickr? Is it recommended that everything be as close as possible? Or, what is most important to be close, if anything?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
There are ways to run multiple instances of Zwift on the one machine (Windows), but the messing about getting it working just isn't worth the time or hassle. It can also then break when there's updates. User support from Zwift will likely be difficult if you run into dramas... Again, not worth the time, imo.

Loading the mobile app on a phone or tablet and AirPlay or HDMI cabling those to a big screen is a 'cheap' solution if you have a compatible phone. AppleTV 4K (32GB version is fine) is the cheapest and easiest way to get a second setup. You don't need a 4K TV with the AppleTV 4K either, the name is misleading.

The fact that they did not design zwift to be multiplayer from a single console shows idiocy.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Question: In an Apple TV and Kickr setup, are there any limitations on distance between the components? That is, if the TV and Apple TV are 20 feet across the room, are there going to be connection issues with the Kickr? Is it recommended that everything be as close as possible? Or, what is most important to be close, if anything?

It depends how 'noisey' your environment is. The Bluetooth Smart 4.0 spec is up to 100m/330ft. Far enough not to see the TV.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for couple just starting [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The fact that they did not design zwift to be multiplayer from a single console shows idiocy.

I assume they always had plans to port over to mobile devices (IOS, Android) and tablets... and Apple TV... making it pretty economical setting up a second or third pain cave setup at home. I can't imagine there would be a big market for people wanting to run Zwift on one machine, two screens, on a machine with enough grunt to power two instances. Plus requiring two ANT+ sticks.... or a second BLE adapter.... This stuff is hard.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your cheapest option is to buy two tvs. You could then use an apple tv with each of them, or multiple pcs if you prefer. Bonus is that if only one of you rides, you can watch tv on the other display. There are monitors that will display 2-4 16:9 inputs side by side, but they will be a much more expensive option. The individual images will then be much smaller unless you buy a giant tv (cost prohibitive). TVs are cheap, I’d buy two and move on.
Quote Reply