Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New IM venues? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:

A race in Bend would be awesome (mainly because I love Bend).

Where did you hear about a Seattle area race? Seems fishy to me. I can't believe IM would attempt to split the PNW vote between Seattle and Whistler. I suppose they could try to split the summer to encourage some to do both, but then Seattle would need to either be in early June (questionable weather, conflict with Victoria) or late Sept/early October (weather probably safer, but who wants to race tri in the middle of CX season?).

I don't think Nolte State Park could handle it, wouldn't work as a swim venue. Although it is only about 25 minutes from my parents' house, which would give me a pretty awesome commute in the morning.
In May, I had an extended conversation with an IM employee that was knowledgeable of the negotiations with the entities involved with approving a new race in a community.
Bend was my first guess, but it was a definite no. The Tacoma area sounded the most plausible. There was supposed to be an announcement this summer about a new 2019 race in the PNW. Since that didn’t happen, there is a chance that negotiations fell apart.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rumor I heard was they were having negotiations to host in Maple Valley, WA. However, I would love to see the race come to Bend! There are a lot of Pros that live & train there, I could see them having some interest in that area as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The decline of IMCdA was coming regardless of the date. Numbers started dropping after 2012. The move to August hastened the decline but probably not near as much as people think. A general overall decline in tri participation plus more races plus travel/lodging hassles to get there are the main reasons.

I thought it's decline was because it was 'too hard' a course for the finishers and because it kept getting super hot days?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [runningnrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bend or Sunriver would be fantastic
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
It would be interesting to see if IM hemorrhages more money into events while they are for sale.

Their are many current full IM that don't sell out, actually far from selling out, so adding more wouldn't make sense. They are destroying their own 70.3 product here in the US and soon we will start to see 70.3 dropping. Though we already are (Syracuse, New Orleans, Austin, etc.)

I think we will see a halt on expansions until they are sold. The recent 70.3 additions is only because they acquired a license partner in Rev3

3 races doesn't make for a stat. Scour below stats from obssessed triathlete to see that 70.3 overall in the Americas (I wish there was a separation for South vs. North, but we know the North dominates #GoT) is still growing rapidly. Of course, you do also clearly see the continued drop in IMs in the same region which I think does support the arguments here that another IM is not very likely. fwiw, Santa Rosa isn't a far or difficult flight from PNW, in my short time living in Portland, the discussions I hear around the options doesn't seem to me to indicate there is a huge desire for another IM round these parts, but that is a very limited anecdote.

https://www.obstri.com/?stats=1

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
CCF wrote:

A race in Bend would be awesome (mainly because I love Bend).

Where did you hear about a Seattle area race? Seems fishy to me. I can't believe IM would attempt to split the PNW vote between Seattle and Whistler. I suppose they could try to split the summer to encourage some to do both, but then Seattle would need to either be in early June (questionable weather, conflict with Victoria) or late Sept/early October (weather probably safer, but who wants to race tri in the middle of CX season?).

I don't think Nolte State Park could handle it, wouldn't work as a swim venue. Although it is only about 25 minutes from my parents' house, which would give me a pretty awesome commute in the morning.

In May, I had an extended conversation with an IM employee that was knowledgeable of the negotiations with the entities involved with approving a new race in a community.
Bend was my first guess, but it was a definite no. The Tacoma area sounded the most plausible. There was supposed to be an announcement this summer about a new 2019 race in the PNW. Since that didn’t happen, there is a chance that negotiations fell apart.

Nice, thanks for the info! Fingers crossed for another good PNW option!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:

Until about 2008 in Australia we had to qualify to do a Ironman by doing a half race and getting a slot. I would like to see those days back, it would make the Ironman more significant and prestigious.

Not a bad idea Gilliga, but probably will never happen. It's all about maximizing revenue. I could see maybe applying this to a handful of the most prestigious or popular IM's. The ones that always sell out...

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Nov 7, 18 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
HaydenHunter wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
The counter is that the PNW area hasn't been much of a draw lately. Whistler wouldn't exist without the 70.3 subsidizing it. CdA couldn't draw a thousand people the last couple of years. Calgary doesn't pull a crowd. Victoria does okay. Lake Stevens was also discontinued.

I wouldn't hold my breath for NW expansion.
I believe the decline in participation in the Coeur d'Alene 140.6 had to do with moving it to late August. It always drew very well during the 13 or so years that it was held in late June...the spot occupied for the last 3 years by the 70.3. I think most people shooting for an AG ticket to Kona did not like waiting so long in the year to plan a Hawaii trip based on the outcome of a late August race. There have also been I believe 2 or 3 other full Ironman races scheduled for the same day, pulling the pros and potentially a lot of age groupers in that direction.

Another thing to note is the newer phenomenon of massive forest fires throughout the west and northwest making air quality in August pretty crappy. In June the skies are generally clear but in the last couple of years by August you could cut the air with a knife.

The move to late August I agree is a reason for the decline, but no way Kona is the reason why it is not a good draw in August. You overstate how many people give a turd about that race. Kona doesn't keep 1000 people from opting out.

I think June was the perfect draw for California folks who can train in late winter/early spring, and for east coasters since it didn't conflict with the fall calendar of CHOO/Lou/Florida, etc.

You think there aren't 1K people who believed they were gunning for a Kona slot? We've definitely talked about how so many/too many people in the top 20% (hell, 40 or 50%) of their AG think their next race could be *the* race where magically 25 or 50 people who typically finish ahead of them in AG have rotten days while said competitor improves their own finish time by 5% with a flawless race to capture that elusive KQ. #notpink

IMO IM moved CDA to August to deliver its death blow and justify phasing it out in favor of a 70.3. Basically, reversing your assertion with "the decline was the reason for the move to late August." Chicken or egg question.

Removing a June full from North America certainly left a gap in the race calendar, specifically for people eyeing summer races due to school schedules or for people who want to balance both a spring and fall IM.

RIP IM 70.3 Lake Stevens. I think I'm one of the few who liked that race. It was a neat venue.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who are the Patriots and who is Bill Belichick?
Quote Reply

Prev Next