Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NCAA women's tri nationals [Tri_Harder85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd actually say the coach that educates the athlete to make the most informed decision are the good ones. Educate the athlete what the decision is going to likely mean for their future athletic goals. Those are the ones that take their own mindset out of the picture and allow the athlete/family to make the most informed/best decision that THEY want to make. So your statement about "sure go ahead try something" is only half true. Because it's my response to athletes, I just finish the statement with, "but let's make sure we have an understanding of what that decision means".

Cus if an 16 year old comes to me and tells me they want to do X sport, I'm sorry but unless your world class already in said sport, you aint going to stop a kid from doing what they want.

Again, that's why I've never wanted the best swimmers. I want swimmers who are just below the best, because they are the one's that likely are willing to give up on "full time" swimming and the "college dream" in order to try something else that they maybe can excel in. I've got an athlete that has done just that, his mom and dad know he aint getting a scholarship, but they want to keep him in a swim squad and thus when they told the swim team they were going to add xc/tri into the mix they were willing to accept that they weren't going to be in the best group anymore, that they had to deal with being in the group that isn't full of the best athletes. They accept that his progression is likely only going to be Y instead of Z with a "full time" sport progression.

So as long as everyone understands the expectations/goals/process then it will work smoothly.

ETA: Jamie Turner's reaction to GJ wanting to run a marathon post Rio Gold medal: "LSD" (look, search, discover) what you want from this decision.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 5, 19 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA women's tri nationals [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'd actually say the coach that educates the athlete to make the most informed decision are the good ones. Educate the athlete what the decision is going to likely mean for their future athletic goals. Those are the ones that take their own mindset out of the picture and allow the athlete/family to make the most informed/best decision that THEY want to make. So your statement about "sure go ahead try something" is only half true. Because it's my response to athletes, I just finish the statement with, "but let's make sure we have an understanding of what that decision means".

Cus if an 16 year old comes to me and tells me they want to do X sport, I'm sorry but unless your world class already in said sport, you aint going to stop a kid from doing what they want.

Again, that's why I've never wanted the best swimmers. I want swimmers who are just below the best, because they are the one's that likely are willing to give up on "full time" swimming and the "college dream" in order to try something else that they maybe can excel in. I've got an athlete that has done just that, his mom and dad know he aint getting a scholarship, but they want to keep him in a swim squad and thus when they told the swim team they were going to add xc/tri into the mix they were willing to accept that they weren't going to be in the best group anymore, that they had to deal with being in the group that isn't full of the best athletes. They accept that his progression is likely only going to be Y instead of Z with a "full time" sport progression.

So as long as everyone understands the expectations/goals/process then it will work smoothly.

I would agree with that. I also think that if parents/athletes approach things as, this is something I'm wanting to try how can I make that happen, then most coaches are going to be willing to work with them. It's when someone shows up and says "hey I'm going out for XC so I'll only be swimming twice a week for the next few months." That's when things get rough.

ETA: Jamie Turner's reaction to GJ wanting to run a marathon post Rio Gold medal: "LSD" (look, search, discover) what you want from this decision.
Quote Reply

Prev Next