Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cheapest way to upgrade to Etap [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I've done Kona, but a 48/28 should get you up Hawi easily, but you will lose considerable time on the descent with 48/11 as your biggest gear as you'll spin out very quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a 29T Campy cassette on my short cage and while it isn't recommended you could probably get away with a 30 in a pinch. Absolute Black also makes an adapter that will drop the the derailleur a bit and allow bigger rear cassettes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done Kona but the only issue I see is the 48x11 on a downhill and Hawi not only is a downhill but I think can be tailwind. So you’d spin out early. I’d go with wifli and spend the extra money now rather than realizing you need it later!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to upgrade to Etap [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I guess that’s true, i think I’ll go for the wifli and run 11-32 and then 50 upfront. Long cage looks a bit cooler as well tbh

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good choice! Let us know how the build goes. Would love feedback on how 1x is going after a few months with it.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to upgrade to Etap [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to upgrade to Etap [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
bm wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:
oscaro wrote:
Also my current wheelset is for 10 speed, so I would of course either need to add a spacer or get some new wheels.

Unless I'm missing something, you can't add a spacer to a 10 speed freehub and make it compatible with 11 speed - it only works the other way around. So you'll either need to buy a new rear wheel (at a minimum), or check to see if your freehub is replacable and can be swapped for a 11 speed (this would be the cheapest option if your wheelset supports it).

I believe some 10-speed era wheels (Mavic in particular) can accept an 11-speed cassette without any modification. I could be wrong on that but if the OP has Mavic wheels it's worth checking before buying a new wheelset.

When I researched this for some Giant 10-speed wheels I bought, it seemed there was a model/year split for most wheel companies around 2014/2015. If the company made both 10 speed and 11 speed wheels in the transition year, then this would be true for the wheel. No modification.

But, if it is the year prior, you still have to swap out the hub/cassette piece on the wheel for the 11 speed version.

Shimano has an 11x34 11sp cassette that's supposed to fit on 10sp wheels. I do not know if it would interfere with a wheel cover.
Quote Reply

Prev Next