Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cincycross Day 1 Pro Men Pics
Quote | Reply
Last Saturday I raced in the Men's Cat 5 Division at Kingswood Park for the Cincycross Day 1 races. Later that night my wife and I went back to watch the pro men race. It was an absolute blast watching the pros negotiate a tough course in tough conditions. I think they were rocking <20psi in their tires trying to get traction in the muck and slippery grass. Lots of off camber stuff made life particularly difficult.

Eventual winner Gage Hecht going for the hole shot. National champ Stephen Hyde is right behind him, in his first race back after breaking his sternum (that sounds really, really painful). Hyde got third in the Sunday race.

National champ Stephen Hyde negotiates the infamous "camel," a particularly nasty bit of the course with tight turns and steep grades, which was almost impossible to walk on, much less ride. Toe spikes required!

Jamey Driscoll on the top of the camel.

Gage Hecht at the camel.

Mitch Hoke displaying good dismount technique before tackling one of the more nutty bits of terrain...

This was nuts. Negotiating this earlier in the day in my 20+ year old mountain bike shoes was interesting to say the least. Nobody that we saw was able to ride up it, although one pro came very close.

The pits were busy getting bikes washed in time to swap them out, as everyone's bike was completely covered in muck by the end of each lap.

Gage Hecht just about to take the win.

Last edited by: spot: Nov 1, 18 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: Cincycross Day 1 Pro Men Pics [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for Posting - here in Chicagoland we are just about 1/2 way thru the Cross series = 10 races with one weekend a double header - race Sat and Sun - Love CX.. :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How this race came to be is quite a story. Kingswood for a long time was part of a weekend cross series. Less than two years ago, Kingswood was closed to the cross community as the local township officials planned to put a road through the middle of it and develop most of what was an old golf course. Luckily, an election and a change of leadership brought in new ideas and partnerships. The road was still built, but the local township agreed to leave the remaining park undeveloped for public use. A few insanely determined individuals spent countless hours these past several months bringing this park back to life after it had become overgrown with honeysuckle and all sorts of vegetation. The township really stepped up, provided assistance keeping the park maintained and allowing the cycling community to close the road not just for this event, but several times this year for local crit races.

So much time and effort and circumstance led to ultimately what came together this weekend. Over 1250 registrations before same days, C1 UCI race on Saturday followed by a C2 on Sunday. The Sunday C2 race was incredible. Hyde, Werner, and Hecht battled back and forth for several laps before Hecht put in a gap on Werner and dropped Hyde before the final time through the 'camel.' Werner was able to get back on terms by riding the barriers, but then opened up his sprint too soon on the uphill finish. Hecht nearly came back around him at the line and we had to wait nearly two minutes while the officials decided who won. I got to spend a few minutes talking with Stephen Hyde, he is an incredibly nice guy. In fact, all of the pros I met were very approachable and nice. I guess it's a cross thing.

Glad you enjoyed your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Cincycross Day 1 Pro Men Pics [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'd heard something about that with the park. The organizers did a great job. I liked the course change they made for Sunday...little less off camber stuff and more rideable overall, although still pretty technical. I watched the men's pro race on Sunday via Facebook Live, although the sprint was pretty far away.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Yeah, I'd heard something about that with the park. The organizers did a great job. I liked the course change they made for Sunday...little less off camber stuff and more rideable overall, although still pretty technical. I watched the men's pro race on Sunday via Facebook Live, although the sprint was pretty far away.

Hah, I hated the changes, the Saturday technical course was much better for me over the Sunday power course. But the changes were intentional to shake up the pro race and favor a different type of rider.
Quote Reply
Re: Cincycross Day 1 Pro Men Pics [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
Thanks for Posting - here in Chicagoland we are just about 1/2 way thru the Cross series = 10 races with one weekend a double header - race Sat and Sun - Love CX.. :-)

I suppose we have a double this weekend as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

unknown dude # 1 is Jamey Driscoll, unknown dude #2 is Mitch Hoke.

Mitch is a really good dude and... here's a story bout his bike and I can't find the one about his kit but it's the same gist
Quote Reply
Re: Cincycross Day 1 Pro Men Pics [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'll update the OP.

Quote | Reply
and apologies from me for not mentioning the quality shots!
Quote Reply
Re: Cincycross Day 1 Pro Men Pics [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, and also thinks for posting the story about Mitch, that is really cool. Loved the paint job with the little C-130s all over the frame! Too cool that he's a ANG C-130 pilot, as I'm retired USAF flyer myself.