Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to think long and hard on my CX bike each time I press to shift after riding my road bike for too long as it still has Sram Red gear cables. I press the left lever to go up the cassette and drop to my small ring DOH F@CK AGAIN!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
I have DI2 on my tri bike and eTap on my road bike. I prefer the DI2 on my tri bike integrated gear changers on the brake levers and the eTap being on my road. I even run the older model shifters as that is my preference on my tri bike up and down changers on the brakes and end of bars front and rear. I personally wouldn't put it eTap on my tri bike and see no advantage in just swapping until they upgrade the blip box as it appears to be the weak link and that may be in January.

Same for me, di2 for a long time, and when I built a new bike this past season, I too stayed with the 'older' style two button shifters. I did try etap on another bike. I didn't like the idea of the batteries needing charging all the time, needing to be taken off for transportation (to not drain them), the tabs on the derailleurs that can snap off, etc. Outside of a one-time times saving during initial setup, I see absolutely no advantage to etap. I bet Sebi doesn't love it anymore either! ;)

Not sure if you or anyone else noticed but I was interested to see Lange stayed with the old school shifters too...

https://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2018_10_Patrick_Lange_Canyon_Speedmax_SLX&num=4
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, same here. Drives me crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [Cycletron83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycletron83 wrote:
Currently run Di2 on my P3 thinking of switching to E Tap. Thoughts ?

I think there's some useful info on this thread, as you've probably decided by now, it likely comes to personal preference (like a lot of things). As someone who likes Sram products, there's not a lot I can say in the favor of switching from Di2 to eTap. If you were building a new frame, and starting with mechanical, then maybe - always go SRAM (in my opinion), but it's hard to make case in favor of eTap on an existing Di2 bike, there's just not a lot of upside with the eTap or downside with the Di2.

To those who complain about the front derailleur not working, short of the derailleur not moving when prompted to shift, I can say with 100% confidence, that the derailleur wasn't set-up properly. Or the bike had q-rings/osymetric rings. Aligning the hash marks and limits on the derailleur aren't the only things needed to align the front derailleur correctly, chainline is also important and is often incorrect in a lot of the bikes I see that complain about poor front shifting, particularly BBRight/BB386/BB386 frames, not so much GXP.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [Cycletron83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Di2 is like a Honda Accord. It’s not flashy, but you can drive it forever almost worry free.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
Cycletron83 wrote:

I think there's some useful info on this thread, as you've probably decided by now, it likely comes to personal preference (like a lot of things). As someone who likes Sram products, there's not a lot I can say in the favor of switching from Di2 to eTap. If you were building a new frame, and starting with mechanical, then maybe - always go SRAM (in my opinion), but it's hard to make case in favor of eTap on an existing Di2 bike, there's just not a lot of upside with the eTap or downside with the Di2.

To those who complain about the front derailleur not working, short of the derailleur not moving when prompted to shift, I can say with 100% confidence, that the derailleur wasn't set-up properly. Or the bike had q-rings/osymetric rings. Aligning the hash marks and limits on the derailleur aren't the only things needed to align the front derailleur correctly, chainline is also important and is often incorrect in a lot of the bikes I see that complain about poor front shifting, particularly BBRight/BB386/BB386 frames, not so much GXP.

To be honest here, I see only downside. It's a bit like your first paragraph...you already have reliable electronic shifting...ok, why are you wanting to basically waste money a second time?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:
I had major problems with eTap on my TT. Constantly dropping the chain. Or FD not shifting properly. Had it replaced under warranty and still same problems. Bike was in the shop every week. What a PITA.

For $1000 less you can have DA mechanical shifters and Ultegra derailleurs. It works so good, it's hard for me to see the point of "upgrading".
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
coralsnake wrote:
I had major problems with eTap on my TT. Constantly dropping the chain. Or FD not shifting properly. Had it replaced under warranty and still same problems. Bike was in the shop every week. What a PITA.

For $1000 less you can have DA mechanical shifters and Ultegra derailleurs. It works so good, it's hard for me to see the point of "upgrading".

I actually had mechanical when I got the TT bike. But I hated only having the shifters on the bar ends. Didn't feel safe. That's when I upgraded.

I don't see the great benefit on a road bike though.
Last edited by: coralsnake: Oct 30, 18 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
Cycletron83 wrote:

This^

I have had etap on multiple frames...raced with it...and have not ever had a chain drop...not once...this decision is based on personal preference 99% of the time. I have ridden DI2...and it is very good...but Etap is close...maybe not as smooth...but the wireless aspect is nice...and I like carrying extra battery...just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:
I actually had mechanical when I got the TT bike. But I hated only having the shifters on the bar ends. Didn't feel safe. That's when I upgraded.

In every TT I've done in... maybe forever?... I'm only on the basebars at the start and turnaround, so I'm cool with them on the extensions only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:
I don't see the great benefit on a road bike though.

The benefit is perfect shifting under every circumstance......25,000 road miles and can remember ever having a single bad shift. Once I switched to Di2, I will NEVER go back to mechanical. I was out test riding a few bike recently, and one had mechanical shifting.......I noted to myself that mechanical shifting really just does suck compared to Di2.
Yes, Mechanical works just fine if not great, BUT Di2 is just better.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're quite useful while training, especially if you have to ride a bit on busy roads before getting somewhere quiet.

Race-wise also useful when the terrain gets hilly. Went back to a non Di2 bike for Tremblant this year and had one incident where I had to jump out of aero and slam on the brakes while coming into a hill because an idiot who wanted to pass someone going 0.1km/h slower than him decided to veer left and block the whole lane. This was near the beginning of hill and left me in completely the wrong gear. Took everything I had not to tip over while grinding up the rest of the climb at 10 rpm.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 vs E Tap [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Di2 is like a Honda Accord. It’s not flashy, but you can drive it forever almost worry free.

To me this ^^^^^ is the key. eTap is cool but it seems that anything new that "big bike" develops takes a few years of customer "beta" testing to work out the bugs. I bought a Gen 1 Trek SC when it first came out and it was a pain in the a-- to deal with. It was fast, but a pain. I skipped a few generations and just bought a 2019 SC. Night and day difference. Like most things I have learned not to buy the 1st generation of anything.
Quote Reply

Prev Next