Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube
Quote | Reply
Hard to comprehend. Shane does a great job promoting indoor training, in a positive, friendly way. He seems to be a truly good guy.

From his Twitter:

Shane Miller
@gplama
YouTube have terminated my GPLama account. Apparently for three violations of their community guidelines (no reason given). That's everything gone. 2 years work. 700 videos. 17 Million watch minutes.
@TeamYouTube
Explain this to everyone below. You've just ended me.
6:53 AM · Oct 29, 2018
Last edited by: CrankShaft: Oct 29, 18 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [CrankShaft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the surface that sounds really really lame of google.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this on the zwift subreddit. Some are speculating there that it might be some of the copyrighted music he uses in some of his videos. But that's pure speculation and one would think that youtube would inform him of that so he could resolve it quite easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watch a lot of YouTube. The content is great but the company has become downright evil. Of late, its seems like every channel I watch has at least one video devoted solely to bitching about how awful YouTube is to the content providers.

One recurring issue is having channels demonitized or out right pulled based on algorithms and then it takes 6-8 weeks once humans get involved to get back up and running.

I can't see how GPLama could get lumped in with Alex Jones so surely he will be let back in. If he is up for the hassle . . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some really old videos up with copyrighted music, basically Youtube just mutes the things.

Sucks for Shane, he brought a lot of technical knowledge to the table in a digestible format.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 29, 18 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on what I've seen from Shane, his content shouldn't have triggered anything. No nudity, no profanity, etc etc.... I don't know if the "report this" button on the channel has any automated repercussions if it hits a certain number of reports? Thinking sabotage here. Or if he's using copyrighted music?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I follow a music-related channel on Youtube (ToolArchive, which posts concert videos, rare Tool stuff etc - literally hundreds of videos) that got pulled a few months ago. Guy who runs it reported basically the same scenario - no real reason given, just a blanket "violation of terms". The obvious reason speculated was that he'd violated copyright and someone from the band or the music publisher had initiated an action with YouTube which led to his channel getting yanked.
Turns out it was a mistake caused by a flagging algorithm they use, and he ended up getting the channel reinstated.

Not saying this is the case here, but it's one potential explanation.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Oct 29, 18 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty mind-blowing. I've been watching his videos on a pretty regular basis for the past few months and can't even begin to imagine what he could have done to run afoul of YouTube. Hopefully this gets resolved in a timely fashion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this for the lunch crowd and for the sake of gplama.
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the channel is back up! At least it is showing up again, for now. Hopefully this has been resolved.
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay! It's working for me. Curious to hear how this actually happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely wild speculation - - some algorithm triggered an automatic block based on some misinterpretation or minor transgression. GPLama is by Youtube standards as small fry and could not get a human to reverse it. Then Zwift, which is currently doing a fairly large Youtube advertising campaign leading into the winter training season found out one of their biggest boosters on YOuTube had been banded. One of their ad guys called their YouTube sales guy and about 10 minutes later, the channel was back up ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's back but all his vids are in 360p for me. Hoping the HD versions will get restored too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m glad he is back up. He is good for our sports (cycling and tri).

Unfortunately, it appears many YouTubers are currently going through channel changes and rebranding. YouTube may not be a reliable enough platform to build and run a business. I hope people like Shane can find the right platform to successfully maintain and control their businesses. DCRainmaker and Slowman have accomplished that by successfully creating their platforms, and we are better for it. Hopefully, Shane will follow that model with his own platform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This, and Europe is going to allow copyrights on memes. Seriously, copy rights on appearing in a meme generated by someone else.

Hit the reset button now! Reset the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like it's back up.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news. Then we wonder how and why the EU regulates google, Facebook, et al. Geez.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just shows how dumb some people actually are to not spend 4 minutes watching some of his videos to see they are so G rated.

Unless it was deleted by a woman who doesn’t like bald men. Then I can accept the deletion.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Unless it was deleted by a woman who doesn’t like bald men. Then I can accept the deletion.

Totally justified in this case! haha!

Thanks for the support everyone, viewers or not. My intent is to help, inform, and maybe have a laugh here or there. Three content strikes was not the laughing type. I'm 100% clear in the music. All credited, all free to use, or the ones that were pinged ages ago have the artist getting the advertisement $ from. All good.

I had one strike I was fighting in the background from a few days ago. One strike = punishment of no live streams, no new feature roll out, etc. Two = two week ban. Three = Channel closed. For two days I had 'live chats' and submitted tickets... etc. They were unable to tell me what I'd done. These videos were all ~two years old too.

The only thing I can think of is that at the request of viewers, they wanted to download the videos in audio. So I've mentioned "Links below to listen along to these, or alt-tab and put this in the background". That's the ONLY thing I can come up with that's caused the flag. I don't do drama. It's pretty vanilla-clean. Well, I did swear on livestream a few times with ANT+ dropouts... but that's simply a demonetisation strike, or 18+ rating. These were't the videos in question.

Strikes are also 'events'... so it can be across a number of videos all at once and only be one strike. Cool. Given I didn't know what had taken place, and I couldn't resolve it, I thought that was that. I'd ride out the three month sin-bin with no livestream and no chance to enable channel memberships... and if they flag more it'll come under that one strike.

10pm last night - Two more strikes and my YouTube cannel was removed.

With no detail provided. (and still none as I type)

I was dealing with the first strike myself (unsuccessfully). This time I needed help. So....a few social media posts were put out explaining they'd removed my channel and I went to bed.

Things blew up, in a good way. And I really appreciated that.

~4am YouTube send me a generic email saying they've overturned their decision. I now have full access to my account. The videos in question are offline.

After all this bs drama I don't want or need... this is 100% my issue. Regardless of their policy (whichever one they say was, but am no longer guilty of). It's my issue putting ANY reliance on their services.

Apologies for the rant/read here. If you want more drama, there's a TON of other YouTubers out here filling this need. To date, I haven't been one. Thanks YouTube...... agh.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Shane Miller (gplama) terminated from YouTube [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i love your channel. you and the other guy do an awesome job keeping us up to date on whats going on!

thanks for what you do.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was kinda hoping that DCrainmaker was reporting all your videos for inappropriate content, then you found out and sent him a video where you launched into an expletive-laden rant that culminated in you mooning the camera. After both of you got kicked off YouTube (and twitter) you wound up in the dregs of 4chan trading barbs. That would have made for good drama. Sigh...

Seriously, you are so freakin nice it was hard to fathom why you’d be banned.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Shane,

Glad you're back up and running. I've seen other channels that have been killed for no apparent reason. Unbelievable. Makes me think that YouTube needs an alternative. (wait, is google reading this message?) I'm subscribing to your channel. Not only because you've been screwed by YouTube, but because your content is golden!

YouTube
Quote Reply