Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Single file, no pass zones [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
brider wrote:
I refuse to do any events that utilize no passing zones. That's a failure of course design in my book.

Same. What’s the point? It’s a race not a parade. The only one I am okay with is the speed limit coming down Old Stage at boulder peak because of the issues they’ve had before and it’s till like 35-40mph limit or something.

Oceanside as well. The speed limit section is only about a half-mile. Going 25 verses 15 in it might save you 10 seconds. And of course is worth it otherwise
Sorry to be math jerk, but that's 48s in a half mile. But that's here nor there if everyone has to obey a speed limit it's equal.

A no passing zone is not equal for all competitors, because you can get stuck or have a smooth sail purely by luck of when you hit the zone. Sounds like this happened due to a reroute for flooding, which is fine in my book - although 1.5 miles can start to seem eternal if you're behind a "completitor" (I love that term, stealing it). But if by design, I agree with the people that would choose not to do that event. Even if a course needs to use a bike path, you can still squeeze a pass in.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
SteveM wrote:
This weekend I got stuck in a ~1.5 mile no pass zone for around 5mins, that cost me a couple of minutes as I was behind some slower riders.

Whilst this was a little annoying, I likely got some of that back later in the ride & given the course was changed due to flooding it's understandable.

The section was a fairly cambered and narrow shoulder, there were times I could've safely passed either in that shoulder or by popping onto the road.

After a while a couple of riders passed me, given I was freewheeling to stay behind the person in front I wasn't super happy about that.

How do you deal with long no pass zones? Do you take an absolute 'no passing at all' line or if you can safely pass and then get free air would you consider that reasonable or cheating?
I try to adhere to it but many times people interpret "no pass zone" as "no speed zone" so it is easy to get stuck behind someone going way too slow. If so, I will pass them when it's absolutely safe to do so.

I think this post nails it in that too many people treat No Pass Zones as Slow Down Zones. Ive been caught several times in no pass zones behind riders slowing down especially in multi-loop courses where slower riders get lapped. Its frustrating but I wont risk a DQ by passing; my strategy is to either surge ahead of people who look like they will trouble before the zone starts or if I do get stuck behind someone then Ill make the best of it and take the time to eat a gel, stretch, or reposition some bottles or nutrition. The worst thing you can do is to get angry by it during the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you guys are so hard core.. i refuse to date anyone except models. I am single for some reason
---

We're all dating supermodels in this sport. Some of us prefer that that the hottie also has a brain.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How do you deal with long no pass zones?

Watch any mountain bike or cross race and any road race that has a cross wind section or tough cobble or gravel section. You'll see the group hammering at 11/10ths in the lead up to the section fighting to not be with the guys who will be disadvantaged by the coming no pass zone.

If it matters where you are in line, get to the front of the line! But if the rules say no passing, don't pass and get in line.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Yeah, I now know the race was the Waco. And since they give bib preference to their frequent flyer members... I see your point.

The only way I can think of making it fair would be making it an untimed no overtaking section.

Timing mat at the beginning & end, whatever time was taken is removed from your time, but any overtaking is a DQ.

It would still be a race & it's in no one's interest to push through that section.

I'm not advocating for that to be a regular feature of a course, but if extenuating circumstances force a quick course change it's at least fair.

Without something along those lines you get stuck between loosing time to the 'its ok to pass a few' & the 'overtake = dq' group.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Sorry to be math jerk, but that's 48s in a half mile. But that's here nor there if everyone has to obey a speed limit it's equal.

A no passing zone is not equal for all competitors, because you can get stuck or have a smooth sail purely by luck of when you hit the zone. Sounds like this happened due to a reroute for flooding, which is fine in my book - although 1.5 miles can start to seem eternal if you're behind a "completitor" (I love that term, stealing it). But if by design, I agree with the people that would choose not to do that event. Even if a course needs to use a bike path, you can still squeeze a pass in.

In IM Oceanside ... the speed limit is actually set at 25 mph and it causes most racers to hit both brakes all the way down. It's a USMC speed limit for all vehicles because when you hit the bottom it could easily be lights out. During the race they tend to park a few ambulances at the bottom as well. They have a road radar machine set up and they are quick to DQ anyone over 25. No one should be gaining over another - everyone at 25 mph. That bike course is super tough, tougher than the Boulder 70.3 and I wouldn't want them to change the route to make it easier. Plus it's an honor for the Marine Corps to invite us on their beautiful terrain. When we ride by the marching troops will stop and salute at times.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sign I saw was single file and I did not interpret that as no pass as there was plenty of room for a safe pass. I did get immediately over to the right after completing a pass which I believe is the rule anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Waco, and attended two athletes briefings, and don't remember the single file or no passing zones ever mentioned. I saw the sign, that said single file. I didn't see the small print, or anything about passing. I "assumed" it meant no passing, but ass soon ass I assumed that... I was getting my ass passed. So I rode ass usual, passing and getting passed just like anywhere else on the course. That was a wild bike. The oncoming neighborhood traffic, on the open country roads, with 4 and 5 wide passing, was really interesting.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Oct 29, 18 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They had this over a bridge at IM CDA at least a couple years, near the end. It was crazy in that I was stuck behind some very, very slow older, larger ladies that were having a nice conversation at about 14 mph while I was in the mid 20's. It was painful thinking that time just slipping away to competition.

At the end of the day, that time really didn't matter because the guy that beat me in the age group was actually a pro one or two years before & won it OA as a pro. Had it been closer, yeah, it would be a bigger issue. But yes, I did follow the rules--others did not as they sped around people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
ripple wrote:

In IM Oceanside ... the speed limit is actually set at 25 mph and it causes most racers to hit both brakes all the way down. It's a USMC speed limit for all vehicles because when you hit the bottom it could easily be lights out. During the race they tend to park a few ambulances at the bottom as well. They have a road radar machine set up and they are quick to DQ anyone over 25. No one should be gaining over another - everyone at 25 mph. That bike course is super tough, tougher than the Boulder 70.3 and I wouldn't want them to change the route to make it easier. Plus it's an honor for the Marine Corps to invite us on their beautiful terrain. When we ride by the marching troops will stop and salute at times.

100% agree. I think the “time limit”, ie the time you can not exceed from mat to mat is like 21 seconds. Over it you’re good under it you’re out.

That is such a beautiful course IMO the suggestion to move it to some random oceanside highway to avoid a *20 second* no pass zone is just dumb.

Now, the trestles no pass zone is a bit silly but it’s on a nice uphill so probably saving us from ourselves. 🤪
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I did Waco, and attended two athletes briefings, and don't remember the single file or no passing zones ever mentioned.

Same here, attended two (as the swim plan changed) whilst the bike course alteration was mentioned there wasn't anything about single file sections.

Either way if it's not enforced then 'no passing' only impeeds those who attended the briefing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:

I have not seen ambulances at the base of the hill nor anything resembling a radar - only two timing strips at the beginning and end of the section and the measure the time it took to complete the section; it can't be below a certain value or a DQ. They don't measure your top speed - you can enter the zone going well above 25mph but you need to slow down in order to make sure you don't average more than 25mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Trigirl357 wrote:

I have not seen ambulances at the base of the hill nor anything resembling a radar - only two timing strips at the beginning and end of the section and the measure the time it took to complete the section; it can't be below a certain value or a DQ. They don't measure your top speed - you can enter the zone going well above 25mph but you need to slow down in order to make sure you don't average more than 25mph.

So there were two ambulances when I went through this year at the bottom.

Timing strip at the beginning and end.

There is a radar speed display there that actually works to pick up bikes somehow. It seemed to be a more permanent fixture to me there than something temporary. The radar wasn't used to measure that DQ--only the timing strips as far as I could tell
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Benv wrote:
Trigirl357 wrote:

So there were two ambulances when I went through this year at the bottom.

Timing strip at the beginning and end.

There is a radar speed display there that actually works to pick up bikes somehow. It seemed to be a more permanent fixture to me there than something temporary. The radar wasn't used to measure that DQ--only the timing strips as far as I could tell

I’ve seen ambulance there as well. 2019 will be my 7th. Not every year but have seen them. It used to be an “on your honor” speed limit no pass zone. Few years back (3?) they added the timing strips.

I’m always surprised how slow <25 feels going down that bit of hill. It’s the only race I have speed showing on a screen of the Garmin. I believe that radar is for cars but I wouldn’t use it for speed

In the athlete tracker results there’s actually a split time. We had a discussion here as to the rules, as the requirement was you had to be over something like :22. DQ was automatic just based on the split

ETA sorry the .4 miles at 25 mph is :51. Over a 2.5 plus hour ride

Pretty good thread with a post by the bike Marshall as to the how’s and why’s. Short version blame the pros

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...chrism%20dq#p6269726
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 29, 18 19:22
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even putting the "faster waves first" only helps a bit. Within each wave, there are faster swimmers that might not be so fast on the bike, so they will effectively "block" the faster riders behind them in the same wave. And if the waves are not far enough apart, then an uber swimmer from a "slower wave" might bridge up and get in the middle (or front!) of the supposedly faster wave in front of them, potentially causing the same issue. Basically, there is no good solution when you put a "no passing" zone in a race, because races are all about passing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
ripple wrote:

OK?

I've re-read my post and yours and still can't figure out in the least how they are related.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

I raced in 2016 and this year. In 2016, I blew a tube once I hit the bottom (hot brakes on aluminum rim. I changed to carbon after that). At the bottom was 2 ambulances and bike support who I flagged immediately. He told me tons of people were blowing tubes in that spot. I commented on the two ambulances and he said they have 3 that sit there for accidents in that spot. But they move them once a call goes out for assistance elsewhere on the course.

The electronic radar is half way down?? Maybe 3/4ths way down? Saw it both years. It may be a permanent fixture. After the 2016 race, I spoke to a guy going 26 mph. They DQ’ed him. He said he was shocked because he thought we were okay “ball parking” the speed. They warn people several times during the athletes briefing and in the guide that they are super serious about it. The USMC doesn’t play around with rules and the law.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Oct 29, 18 23:07
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Trigirl357 wrote:

OK?

I've re-read my post and yours and still can't figure out in the least how they are related.

You need to reread the 2-3 people you replied to. I deleted all of the previous comments to save people from a whole page of replies. I included your reply since you wanted to get into the math. So I naturally started with the speed limit is actually 25 mph. The rest of my comment goes to two others you replied to.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Oct 29, 18 22:49
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Benv wrote:

Yes the radars do pickup bikes. They also pickup bald eagles who fly through at killer speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did once a middle distance with a 2 km no passing zone after T1, and the same coming back. There was a slow lady hassling around in front of me in that zone. If I would have passed (very well possible in that passage) I would have conflicted with the rules, otherwise it would have costed me a plurality of minutes. I do not tell here what I did.

It kept me from registring again for said race, although it further is a great race.

It just does not make sense that randomly you can loose or win time on competitors equalling the time difference of really racing or freewheeling the whole race, or equalling the difference between a tight racing suit and a loose t-shirt.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Oct 30, 18 2:41
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
The sign I saw was single file and I did not interpret that as no pass as there was plenty of room for a safe pass. I did get immediately over to the right after completing a pass which I believe is the rule anyway.

Looking at the 2018 IM rules and regulations there's absolutely nothing about no pass zones, so without it being explicitly mentioned in the briefing & guide I don't think it can be enforced beyond a general 5.01e 'dangerous riding' disqualification.

I think you made the right call, that single file sign was just a reminder.

Shame to loose some time on that section, but at least I know for future events.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish they made the sign more clearly.
I could see that some people were confused.
I think it was 2-3 sections like that. Should have said.

'Single file and no passing Zone'
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I saw the single file and assumed it was no passing. Had to slow way down for pack of riders. When someone passed me I yelled at them but he responded that it was only single file, not no passing. I agree that this was confusing and I attended athlete briefing and didn't hear anything about no passing. I decided to safely pass a few riders in this section.
Quote Reply

Prev Next