Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot pain - ouch!
Quote | Reply
Over the past few weeks I’ve been rigorously using a lacross and spiky ball to roll my feet. Just made my feet and legs overall feel good, never had foot pain

On Saturday I did a real hard zwift bike race and then shortly thereafter left the house w family to be on my feet all day walking around a park

Saturday PM the arch (near ball of my foot) was black and blue and I have since found what feels like a knot in the center of that. Size of a M&M. Painful to the touch, but doesn’t seem to get better or react to stretching, not sure if ICE helps at all

Any idea what this might be and how to make it go away?!
Last edited by: mvenneta: Oct 29, 18 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: Foot pain - ouch! [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear.

Could be you pressed too hard with the ball. Or you need to get it checked to make aure you didnt tear any plantar surface structures in your foot (fascia, plantar plate, ligaments etc.).

Ive had a few clients/athletes over the years that this has happened to. One of them was just walking in gym class and felt line he got shot with a bb gun on the bottom of his foot. Black and blue, and torn plantar plate.

Feel better.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot pain - ouch! [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Sorry to hear.

Could be you pressed too hard with the ball. Or you need to get it checked to make aure you didnt tear any plantar surface structures in your foot (fascia, plantar plate, ligaments etc.).

Ive had a few clients/athletes over the years that this has happened to. One of them was just walking in gym class and felt line he got shot with a bb gun on the bottom of his foot. Black and blue, and torn plantar plate.

Feel better.

Could your clients still cycle without pain? I haven’t noticed it on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Over the past few weeks I’ve been rigorously using a lacross and spiky ball to roll my feet. Just made my feet and legs overall feel good, never had foot pain

On Saturday I did a real hard zwift bike race and then shortly thereafter left the house w family to be on my feet all day walking around a park

Saturday PM the arch (near ball of my foot) was black and blue and I have since found what feels like a knot in the center of that. Size of a M&M. Painful to the touch, but doesn’t seem to get better or react to stretching, not sure if ICE helps at all

Any idea what this might be and how to make it go away?!

My guess would likely be a cyst (fribroma), symptoms are variable until there is sufficient compression on mass. Cycling with rigid shoes spreads forces and often will not produce symptoms versus weight bearing walking and running with more pronation and dynamic foot motion and stress on fascia.

Hard cycling....some malalignment or yield....stressed tissues...inflammation...weight bearing....pain.

Not that uncommon for a variety of ankle/foot issues.

If you tore your plantar plate you would know it.

It will likely calm down on its own in next few days, but that is a trap as it will likely come back. I would go to reputable podiatrist that offer rehab services to start with some conservative treatment to start.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check overall ankle flexion as well as calf muscles. most plantar plate issues can trace back to tightness in the calf muscles.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give it a few days off (yes, no cycling) and it should calm down (hopefully). Patience usually has the highest ROI (its only been 2 days). Stop using a lacrosse ball to roll your foot. There is no functional reason to use something so hard "rigorously" on your feet. Used improperly that stuff can ruin the connective tissue in your muscles and joints and set you up for more problems in the future. Use a full or mini tennis ball (like for small dogs), you can accomplish just as much release if your doing it right.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply