Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drive train flex
Quote | Reply
Today in a race I managed to drop my chain to the outside without shifting. Due to some miscalculations by otherwise good riders, the group came to a near complete stop early in the first lap. When I went to start back up (standing on the pedals on the 50) the chain dropped to the outside. I was not shifting either end.

I'm running a Praxis Zayante M30 crank with C1 chain rings. My power file shows a peak power at the time of 1125 watts. Since that peaked in about a 90 degree rotation the force was probably pretty high.

Is it possible for a mortal to flex either the crank or the chain rings enough to drop a chain, or should I look somewhere else? Or is something broken? Crank and rings are 2 seasons old. Chain has about 1000 miles on it. Bike is a 2017 Roubaix.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Drive train flex [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or did you flex the frame? More leverage there...
Quote Reply
Re: Drive train flex [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to check your derailleur alignment and a very detailed inspection of your chain as well, or simply replace the chain.

I had two situations - one a new bike I was popping the chain and blowing my top. I took it back to the store x 2, second try I was like DUDES, fix it or take it back. They finally figured out the chain link was bad causing the connection to distort under load. But it took some good torque (I would not use the units watts) to do that. They could not replicate which was the issue :) Good on them I didn't know why either.

Next is a bent derailleur. My wife was complaining of chain issues on her bike. I tried to adjust and it was hopeless. I then eyeballed the hanger and saw the alignment was out (bent) bent it back by hand, lined it up and all was good/smooth again.

I supposed you can get mistracking as a result of the BB, or the cassette as well. A good mech might be able to ID the issue.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That isn’t a lot of wattage to make a chain drop through flex (no offense). Something was off there but I doubt it was rings or cranks doing it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions, but an FD problem doesn't make much sense since I wasn't shifting. I suppose I could have flexed the frame but I have the carbon version of the Roubaix and that frame is pretty beefy. If I truly flexed the bottom bracket then that would explain everything else.

As for 1125 not being a lot of watts, I agree, but watts is not what flexes drive train components - it's torque - and considering the crank was stopped and then the chain dropped when I stood and mashed the right pedal, there was a lot of torque applied to that system at that moment. I weigh about 180 lbs right now, so I have a lot of "ass" to put behind a pedal stroke.

I was really wondering if the C1 chain rings or the Praxis crank were known to be flexi. I did several searches and couldn't find anything, probably because Praxis is much bigger in the Mountain Bike world than the road world, and C1 chain rings do not seem to be the PM of choice for Crit racers.

The bike is in the shop to be looked at and then I'm racing again this coming weekend. I'll see what happens.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible for a mortal to flex either the crank or the chain rings enough to drop a chain

No. Something else is going on. either a misaligned FD, something loose, seized freehub, something broken....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Drive train flex [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be looking for any marks & knicks on the chain rings, essentially the chainrings are made to chuck the chain, but only with a bit of help from the deralier, I had a hell of a time getting a tandem to keep the sync chain on when I was using normal 38t chainrings, eventually binned them and swapped to a pair of track chain rings ( no ramps for the deraliur and loger teeth ) and cured it. with the tandem t started off ok, bit got worse and worse, and im prettu sure this is due to nick and burrs ithe chainrings picked up from chucking the chain.

Also what gear were you in? if you were cross chaining the ass off it, it could have derailed to theinner ring and the front mech chucked it right over the top, in shich case the front mech might need a tweek.
Quote Reply