Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where to Look For Gains in Wind Tunnel? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
PS. Thanks for sharing your information with the community. Have thought about getting a Notio or similar device to do your own testing? I think I you would love it.

I get a lot of useful stuff here, happy to try to give something back. Yes, I want one of those Notio Konnect things. Are they real or vapor ware? I signed up to be notified for like three or four cities when they announced their tour and also asked them to do one in Boston, never heard anything. If it works it would be a lot better than the wind tunnel.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Look For Gains in Wind Tunnel? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
- Running out of time, I replaced my whole saddle/seatpost/BTS (dash TT with the weird carbon faring/built in BTS) with the one from my Dimond brilliant (Specialized sitero w/ xlab aero pouch). Now there was some problem with the data and I couldn’t look at it before packing up, but looking now the sitero/x-lab was definitely faster, esp at yaw. So this leaves open the question of whether it’s the saddle, the bottle position, or the aero pouch. I’d guess the aero pouch, but the sitero saddle is a lot different than the dash, can’t be ruled out. So this will be something to have a think on ... give up the dash, very comfortable, and use the sitero+aero pouch, or use a different dash that can work with the aero pouch, or just keep my bike beautiful and not change anything (I’m not a huge fan of the aero pouch aesthetic).

Bring up this old thread. Post my wind tunnel trip I ordered a Dash Combo with a BTS carrier that is compatible with the x-lab pouch. It arrived this weekend, is a little different than I hoped, and I wanted to get some thoughts from anyone who cares to share an opinion. I attached a picture. The question is that the BTS with this carrier is very high, definitely higher than the norm. Part of me says that it's only a couple inches, shouldn't be a big deal, could even possibly be faster given it maybe puts the BTS apparatus more behind me than below me. The other part of me says it's too different than how I tested and it's pretty ugly. I have a regular Dash saddle sitting around that I could use w/ the aero pouch in a position comparable to the test. Without ability to do further testing, which option would you use . . .

- Use regular Dash saddle/Dimond seat post w/ BTS to mimic testing
- Use Dash combo w/ higher BTS

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Feb 24, 19 16:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only thoughts are as follows:

1) Check the Trek white paper and visualize where the bottle was vertically. The mid was was the best but they had a high and low version as well for Manny. This might give you a good idea exacly how high or low it is.

2) I took one of these XLABs to the tunnel. Albeit, I modified my own by cutting out the saddle and molding the bottle/cage into the seat. Most TT riders sit pretty far forward although I admit not sure about this Dash. Anyway, you might be surprised how far the bottle is behind you depending on where you sit. Again there is probably a magic position, but for me and my saddles I feel like it places it too far back away from my body.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Look For Gains in Wind Tunnel? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful post, thank you!

I had not seen that document, nor have I seen (or noticed) this BTS attachment at a race. From pictures it looks like the default height of that unit is pretty high compared to norm, similar to this Dash I bought. The Dash may even be slightly lower than the default height from their test because of the angle. So bottom line is that I will grab a pic of me riding it to make sure it doesn't look absurdly high as in the 'high' test, but otherwise shouldn't fuss/worry about it too much. I'm sure you are right that it won't sit as tightly off my back as with their testing, but really no after-market item is going to. The test position from the wind tunnel I'm attempting to mimic definitely wasn't super close.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next