Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training?
Quote | Reply

I want to do a 70.3 in May followed by a friends 50th "birthday party" two weeks later - this is a 96 mile (36 hour cut off) foot race.

Possible ? Doable ? How?
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [wphone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. What is the terrain for the ultra? If it isn’t mountains or really technical in nature, you only need to go 3 miles per hour to comfortably make the cut off.

If it was me, I would train for the 70.3 as usual, but sacrifice perhaps 1 swim per week for 1 extra run (which may actually be combined with an existing run session to allow for a long run). Run those slow (try 12 minute miles) on similar terrain. After the 70.3, rest. No long runs as your fitness is locked in.

I would already be working on building a good base though, from tomorrow!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Misery has pretty much the right idea. All you have to do is keep moving (run/walk/crawl) for 36 hours if you are going at the minimum pace. However, a long time on your feet is radically different than a long bike ride or triathlon, because know you're talking about a singular repetitive motion that may, possibly, be sustained for over 24 hours. It's not a question of fitness; it's a question of simple durability and a good amount of stubbornness with adequate calorie consumption. Substituting an extra run (or two) per week will help with that durability; further out from the race, even think about swapping long bike rides with a long trail run of equivalent time (but not too many- it will beat you up). This will give you a better idea of what to expect during the ultra. The key between your 70.3 and the ultra is recovery- you won't be able to do anything meaningful except too much, which will ultimately hurt you at the ultra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your running mileage now? What's the longest run race you've done? Do you really want to finish the ultra or is it just something you're doing for your friend and will have no problem DNFing it?

I'm seriously considering doing my first 50 miler (at age 60) in May in the Alps with more than 17K feet of elevation gain, so I've been thinking a lot about ultra training the past couple of weeks.

I've got lots of long-distance tri training/racing experience, but little ultra training/racing experience. From my perspective, if you are an ultra newbie like me, I'd advise you to focus on slowly building the run volume and the long runs, continue to swim, and pretty much neglect the bike except for some short recovery rides until after the ultra. It's easier to fake a 56 mile bike ride in a 70.3 than a 96 mile run/walk. :) It's also easier to rebuild bike volume after the ultra than to recovery from injury/illness caused by pushing beyond your limits in the ultra.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 27, 18 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your chances of finishing the ultra are probably somewhere between 0% and 95%.

Give us some meaningful information and we can narrow it down a bit for you.
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
96 miles? Why not an even 100?????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Increase your odds by encouraging your friend to opt for a race like Western States.
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedal-boy wrote:
96 miles? Why not an even 100?????

Because it has a 36 hour cut off.
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
Misery has pretty much the right idea.

I don't think so.
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I'm seriously considering doing my first 50 miler (at age 60) in May in the Alps with more than 17K feet of elevation gain, so I've been thinking a lot about ultra training the past couple of weeks.

I've got lots of long-distance tri training/racing experience, but little ultra training/racing experience. From my perspective, if you are an ultra newbie like me...........

That's some serious elevation for a debut 50 miler. Have you run any 50 kms with comparable vert? I'm guessing you run a lot of trails? Are you planning some ultras between now and May?

Just by the location and elevation, it sounds a stunning race.
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno and I don't have the organizers number to hand...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to suggest the opposite of what everyone else who replied is saying.

Train to squeak through the 70.3 and focus more on the ultra.

Ergo - (mid training block) your key workout for the week should build up to and revolve around the 20-25 mile long run + 10-20 mile back to back. Then squeeze in whatever extra runs, rides, swims you can in the time that's left.

The 96 miler is the more punishing event of the 2 (by a long shot), and you could end up experiencing one of the most unpleasant days of your life if you're not durable enough. Because anyone can fake a 70.3 right? A 100 miler with a time cut is not guaranteed
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:

That's some serious elevation for a debut 50 miler. Have you run any 50 kms with comparable vert? I'm guessing you run a lot of trails? Are you planning some ultras between now and May?

We visited the location on our honeymoon several years ago and I did several 1 hr+ runs on or near the course. I haven't done anything comparable so I'm certainly thinking about whether I would be getting in over my head. I plan to walk all the ascents and use poles. I run a lot of trails in training but have never done a trail ultra. Planning to do the hilliest trail marathon course nearby next weekend to see how I feel after doing a trail marathon with 1000 feet of elevation gain. :) Don't want to provide details about the race until I'm registered.
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the correct answer

Sim wrote:
I'm going to suggest the opposite of what everyone else who replied is saying....

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
satanellus wrote:

We visited the location on our honeymoon several years ago and I did several 1 hr+ runs on or near the course. I haven't done anything comparable so I'm certainly thinking about whether I would be getting in over my head. I plan to walk all the ascents and use poles. I run a lot of trails in training but have never done a trail ultra. Planning to do the hilliest trail marathon course nearby next weekend to see how I feel after doing a trail marathon with 1000 feet of elevation gain. :) Don't want to provide details about the race until I'm registered.

It's obviously a very tough race, but I wouldn't discourage you. It would be very rewarding, though I'm not sure how many honeymoon activities you would be up for in the following days. This will beat you up more than any Ironman.

The trail marathon is definitely a good idea to start, though with 1000 feet elevation, I'd definitely be looking for some marathon or 50km races with 8000 or 10 000 ft which is comparable to your 50 mile goal. Those elevations are well on truly on the tougher end of the spectrum for races of those distances. When you cross the finish line of one of those races, think about having to do another 20 or 24 miles. That will give you a reasonable idea of what to expect for the miler

You will find very few that pack in more hills/mile, so you have to prepare specifically for it. You'll really need to hit he hills to prepare for the 50 miler. Learn how to run the descents smoothly and efficiently and train your body to the rigours of long, steep downhills. These courses will abuse your quads.

Don't worry about planning to walk the uphills, the course will take care of that and demand it of you. Nobody around you will be at all likely to running the hills.
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sim wrote:
I'm going to suggest the opposite of what everyone else who replied is saying.

Train to squeak through the 70.3 and focus more on the ultra.

Ergo - (mid training block) your key workout for the week should build up to and revolve around the 20-25 mile long run + 10-20 mile back to back. Then squeeze in whatever extra runs, rides, swims you can in the time that's left.

The 96 miler is the more punishing event of the 2 (by a long shot), and you could end up experiencing one of the most unpleasant days of your life if you're not durable enough. Because anyone can fake a 70.3 right? A 100 miler with a time cut is not guaranteed

Actually two of the most unpleasant days of his life. Quite unlikely he's going to crack 24 hours.

Quality advice. Could even take it a bit further and drop the swim or bike altogether. Any triathlete who has trained enough for the 100 miler, will cruise through a 70.3 on muscle memory and racing it will feel like a fun training day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I'm well aware of everything you mention. My wife is very excited to go back to the Alps, but I will need to be able to walk around town a couple of days after the race and certainly don't want to end up in the hospital. Looking at results from this year's race, I'm hoping to finish in about 18 hours.

Along with ramping my weekly mileage up to 50 mpw by the spring (currently at 25), I'm planning monthly long runs building to 40+ miles. We'll see how the run next weekend goes. I may be making other training/racing plans for the Alps trip a week from now.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 28, 18 15:58
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You never did a 100 have you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
satanellus wrote:

Just something to add. I am 59. Did 70 miles before a bad fall at big horn. Did the 50 there. 50K "The Rut with 11k, 12 miles super technical. Same with Bridger ridge run, 7k with 10k descent in 20 miles. Only put that in to second, its the downhills your legs have to be used to.. I am a back of the pack guy. Do not get discouraged if you have problem with long runs of 40. I was able to be consistent with 50 + miles per week for awhile, but at our age recovery is tough. I was only able to do a consistent 20-25 miler with 5 to 6k gain for 12 weeks. At best 15 min pace. I just could not get in weekly runs and long runs and recover. I am attempting another 100 and I am sure that will be enough with longest in the thirties. I just could not get the training of runs that long and not be wiped out...….just my 2 cents......Good luck. Go for it. Wish I could...………...with my arthritis I hope to have a couple more years left of Ultra's
Quote Reply
Re: How to combine 70.3 and ultra (running) training? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
You never did a 100 have you?

No. I'd be a babe in the mountains at 60 except for the 45 years of consistent endurance training and racing. I have run short sections of the course so I'm familiar with the terrain, but certainly not the distance and the total elevation gain/loss. Thanks for the feedback! Sorry about the arthritis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm well aware of everything you mention. My wife is very excited to go back to the Alps, but I will need to be able to walk around town a couple of days after the race and certainly don't want to end up in the hospital. Looking at results from this year's race, I'm hoping to finish in about 18 hours.

Along with ramping my weekly mileage up to 50 mpw by the spring (currently at 25), I'm planning monthly long runs building to 40+ miles. We'll see how the run next weekend goes. I may be making other training/racing plans for the Alps trip a week from now.

Definitely go for it.

You certainly sound like you're on the right path for a memorable holiday.

All the best over the coming months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That question on a 100 was not for you

You have way way more experience than I had when I started ultra's. I imagine you will do much better than I ;o) I did not word things well......guess in short what I was trying to get across is the recovery at our age. Let us know how it goes please. I can use the advice and feedback for my training this year. Thanks
I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not possible... Unless you are already an Uber trail runner.

I base this based upon my own modest experience running 1 ultra (circa 40 miles with 10k of vert) and two friends that are accomplished ultra runners (one of which was top 10 in the trans pyrennes, something like 500 miles)

100 mile race is a bear. My less accomplished friend has done multiple 100km races without problems but has yet to finish a 100miler despite 3 or so attempts.

I think a 100miler is equivalent to a double or triple ironman (non stop). By way of reference, my 60km race took me 14hrs, about 1 hour longer than my first ironman and nearly 4 hrs longer than my second).

Good luck.
Quote Reply