Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona 2019 Advice [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get a SRAM 11-28 11sp cassette which has a 16 cog. It's pretty sweet... my favorite cassette.

Russ Brandt wrote:
If we are talking about 11 speed cassettes, the Shimano 11-28 skips the 16 gear. Many other wide ranging cassettes miss the 16 gear to. I am saying that I think the 16 is critical for typical cruising power and cadence on the Kona course. Again, in my case I was in that gear for 29 minutes so that is a good chunk of the course. If I didn't have the 16, that means I would have spent 29 minutes in the 15 or the 17, either of which are doable, but just not the perfect gear to be in for those times.
The 11-25 cassette has a 16 but not the 28 that you probably want but it gives you the "fun" 11 gear, and on a day like 2018 Kona, the right gear for a good 30 minutes of the ride.
The 12-28 cassette has a 16 but not the 11, but it does have the relief 28 that would be more critical on a higher wind day (especially if you want to preserve run legs by spinning more). Does this make sense?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Advice [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh that's cool. Do you know if it works on a Shimano drivetrain? What gear does it skip?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Advice [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Where to rent, enough for 6 people? Start looking & booking now! I've usually stayed relatively far away – up in Waikaloa/Mauna Lani and loved it – nice distance from the commotion, but not too far. If you love the non-stop trim-scene build up, then stay closer. Air B&B has made it all a lot easier!
2) Take your own bike or rent? Definitely your own bike. Renting a ride is $300/week during Kona week, and that's for road bikes for non-racers, spouses, and bike industry people. Tri Bike Transport are awesome! I highly recommend them!
3) Just how bloody hot is it? It's really f--king hot! And when it's less windy, it's even hotter! Acclimate! Stay used to the heat, and take heat into consideration in your build up. If you live in a cooler climate, keep acclimated to summer heat. If possible, get to Kona a week early to keep acclimating.
4) Do I really need a swimskin? No, but anything that adds any buoyancy helps.
5) Gearing.....I'm a 6 hr bike in Mt Tremblant with a 12-25, should have been a 11-28? Use the 11-28. Subcompact crank (52/38) is fine for most.
6) Aero helmet or stay cooler with road helmet? Stay cool! Option 1: aero road helmet with really good vents. Option 2: Road helmet with vents. Option 3: Road helmet with vents... In typical Kona heat, many aero helmets are like old-school hair-drying domes found in 1960's salons...
7) Course food/drink or own stuff? Depends on your own nutrition. They're good at publishing what will be available, but it's always a toss up. If you have any nutritional picky-ness, be prepared with your own stuff.
8) Anything else?
- Enjoy the entire experience. Start saving. Make it a week long trip + if you're able – it's really an amazing experience as a racer, but also as an American – you travel all day and keep flying, and then you land far away but you're still in America. It's kind of amazing and Hawaii is just an amazing place – Kona especially. Being at the center of Triathlon mythological lore makes it even more powerful... I'm not a rich person at all so saving to make the most of my times there has been worth it.
- The week-long build up to the race is cool – free sh-t, famous athletes, t-shirts, autographs, naked runs, etc. – but is also the ultimate triathlon-peacock show-off fest amped up to 11: Everyone is fast, and everyone looks fast. People are ripped, tan, and lean – strutting their stuff. So if any of the Ironman poseur BS affects you – if you're self conscious that you're not 3% body fat, or you have confidence issues – it can be a drag. I don't know if any of that applies to you, but if it does, call upon your "support team" of friends and family and treat them well! It sounds like you'll have friends/family going with, which is awesome. Have confidence in yourself, your training, and in the fact that you actually qualified – you belong there just as much as anyone else.

- It's a power-biker's course, and you need to be able to ocean swim and survive a hot run – and it all comes down to the run. It can help to be lean, but it helps more to be strong (and acclimated!).
- I think more than any other course, Kona tests the "4th discipline" (nutrition) and "5th discipline" (pacing, patience) and 6th and 7th... and whatever other disciplines there are... comfort, zen, flow, etc....
- Don't use a deep front wheel unless you are pretty big and/or really, really confident with controlling it. You're better with a deep rear wheel and relatively shallow front.
- You're already Kona-bound – congrats! If things like swim skins and other equipment are cost burdens, join a team to get deals on equipment – semi-sponsored. The fact that you're already going to Kona makes you attractive to many "elite" teams that may offer some really superb discounts on gear.

It's my 11th IM, but from looking at results, that means bupkiss at Kona and I won't be winning anything. Correct, you won't win, but it sounds like you have great experience that will take you far. It will challenge you and may also elicit your absolute best – commit to your best and enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Advice [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheaper to buy a bike at Target than it is to rent something.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
I decided to take my Kona slot for 2019 from IM Louisville (having given up a slot for 2018 and regretting it) and I need some advice.

1) Where to rent, enough for 6 people (friends and other idiot who want to race as well) any favourites that don't require a 2nd mortgage.

Air BnB, VRBO. You've got the towns of Keauhou, Holualoa, and Kona in the general vicinity. If you're out by Keauhou, remember to be patient with traffic when you roll into town for Ironman Village and all of the amazing events that take place during race week. The influx of people in for the race is insane (add to that road closures and the sheer number of people that live on Alii Drive that are seriously just trying to get to work). If you stay out in the Waikoloa area (aka: Wai-ka-blow-a), it gives you a lot of practice with the cross winds and you're closer to Hawi for practice rides. I can't recommend staying at the King Kamehameha hotel or the Kona SeaSide Hotel because the construction guys are up all night putting the finish line together and it's really loud (per my friend that stayed in the King Kam this past year).

2) Take your own bike or rent, travelling with a bike is a b***** or take own wheels/saddle/whatever?

Nothing new on race day: take your own bike.

3) Just how bloody hot is it? I cook at anything above about 70f

Effin hot. And the crosswinds just blow more hot air at you. The temperature feedback on my Garmin when I was "hiking" into town on Alii drive on race day to watch the pros finish this year was up to 106F.

8) Anything else (yeah I know sunscreen)

For the aloha of others and sanity of locals, please, please, please do not bike on the road (left of the white line where the cars are). Use the bike lane. Alii Drive is a single-file ride -- not two abreast. Police have cracked down this year immensely on that as well as people who fly through Stop signs and red lights: people who act like it's 'race day' everyday during the week leading up to the race.
Just ride with Aloha and you'll be good. And practice your shaka for when a driver gives you the right-of-way! 🤙
If you haven't spent too much money at Ironman Village - stay a little longer and explore! This island has Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, night snorkeling with manta rays, and stargazing at 9200ft up at the Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station.

Congrats on qualifying! I would suggest getting set up with accommodations as soon as you can - my understanding is that it fills up fast.
Last edited by: ceruleanpure: Oct 27, 18 1:01
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Advice [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course it does.

Here's the layout 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28

Russ Brandt wrote:
Oh that's cool. Do you know if it works on a Shimano drivetrain? What gear does it skip?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Advice [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info...
I should have mentioned I'm Canadian (we also know about big),
Not sure TBT does a pickup here, because there's brokers involved going over the border. Waiting to hear back from them.
I'm gonna miss my Hed3's, by the look of it (or maybe just the back one goes).
(I race at 175lbs, I'd give you kg but even I don't know what that means).
Elite teams don't give a **** about old guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
8) Anything else (yeah I know sunscreen)

Hawaii recently passed a law banning certain sunscreens that harm the local reefs. It won't be in effect before your race (1/1/21) but its a good idea anyway.
https://www.hawaii.com/blog/reef-safe-sunscreen/
I seem to recall there was some on the pier during the week to use. We used some from home when for times we weren't in the ocean.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Advice [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I knew about the ban, I have an eco kid that set me straight a couple of years ago. It's tough to find a brand in Canada that doesn't have oxybenzone (or similar) in them. We found a relatively cheap one in a Walgreen (in Florida) a few years ago. But in Toronto when I asked I got funny looks...I'm sure they'll catch up. By the same token when I looked for a sunscreen in a drugstore in France they had only one, a beauty product and it cost a fortune. Apparently they don't use the stuff.

I'm thinking Nosecoat, all over my body :0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi-
1- we stayed at kona reef resort, about a mile from the pier..it was a great location...i would say anything along ali'i is great..walking distance is good as parking can be hard in town. the further you get from the pier, the lower the price:)
2-i sent my bike tri bike transport...was very happy ! others have mentioned bikeflights as another option and lower cost
3- def do some heat acclimatization...i trained in the heat of the day when i could, and layered up anytime the temps were below 80...it really paid off as the heat didn't bother me at all
4-i used a swim skin, but that's just because i had one. you don't need it as it is really buoyant and absolutely beautiful!
5-i used the same gearing i have used in mt and lp and it was fine...course is not that hilly
6- i used my road helmet for ventilation
7- i used my own nutrition but i use ucan ...no issues
8- my skin cooler sleeves were a godsend! yes, make sure to sunscreen in t1
above all, have fun! it was awesome this year and every bit as much fun as i had anticipated:) yes, just enjoy the day and take everything in. if you can get there a week ahead do it...the town is pretty quiet until tues/wed . train to be strong and handle the heat well. the swim was the most beautiful swim i have ever done...lots of coral and fish to see:)
Quote Reply

Prev Next