Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Psych sheets further analysis...
Quote | Reply
Really appreciated the work CoachCox does with the psych sheets!

https://docs.google.com/.../edit#gid=1348280801

I started to do some primitive maths and something really struck me in the data:

1. There are now about 2,400 athletes in Kona, when there were only 1,800 a few years ago. That seems like a big increase, are the majority of slots from the new Ironman races that have been added? Legacy, or other? Where did they find room on the pier for the bikes?

2. There are 40 Ironman qualifiers or so and a few 70.3 you can qualify at, like China, Hawaii? Not certain. I looked at the biggest age group (M45-49) and there were 304 starters. If there are about 4 slots per race in that age group at each qualifier (some 3, some 4, some championship races have more), so maybe slightly more than 4 per race, that comes out to about 160 males that qualified, and 140 that did not.

I'm surprised at the number competitors that are in by another mechanism, ie; not by qualification.

Legacy?
Other?

Really just curious, as it is WTC's right to do what they want, but in my head I had the that the number of non-qualifiers would be lower?

I welcome your insights.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Psych sheets further analysis... [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is the additional athletes are mainly international (non-us) with expansion of races there.

As for your m45-49 analysis, most races that age group will get at least 4 slots. There are 6 championship races, at these races m45-49 may get 10-11 slots. So I think you've way underestimated the percentage that's qualified vs has not.
Quote Reply
Re: Psych sheets further analysis... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did some quick math and there are 41 Ironman races around the world. Assuming each race has 40 slots, that's 1,640 slots for Kona. There are an additional five regional championships (I think) that add another 195 slots (each of the championships have 40 extra slots, except for South Africa which has 35 extra slots). That puts the total number of qualified racers at 1,835 but that does not count qualification via 70.3 races, Kona itself, CEO challenge, etc. That could bump the number up to 1,950, maybe. If there are 100 legacy slots, it still seems like there are quite a few slots unaccounted for.
Quote Reply
Re: Psych sheets further analysis... [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
That puts the total number of qualified racers at 1,835 but that does not count qualification via 70.3 races, Kona itself, CEO challenge, etc. That could bump the number up to 1,950, maybe.

5x 70.3 in China = 5x 30 = 150
Hawaii 70.3 = 30 more

5 eBay auctions!

Also don’t forget Ventum KONA edition! Someone from Ventum sales department please give us some data.
Last edited by: tie3: Oct 26, 18 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: Psych sheets further analysis... [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my math was rough, it just struck me as something I wasn't expecting, the relatively large number of unaccounted for slots.

How are they divided up, how do you get them etc.

I'm not a WTC hater, quite the opposite, more intrigued

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Psych sheets further analysis... [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply