Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Twisted Pelvis: Anyone?
Quote | Reply
Hi Twitchers,

I have off and on had bouts of SI joint issues. Very recently discovered a simple way to self-assess a twisted pelvis. My left side illium sits back one thumb depth further than the right side.

Has anybody dealt with this and how did you manage it?

Thanks!
G
Quote Reply
Re: Twisted Pelvis: Anyone? [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any way of quantifying it, but I can tell I don't sit on a saddle straight. My problem stemmed from the fact that my right foot is slightly duck-footed whereas my left foot isn't. There wasn't enough room to adjust my cleats to compensate for this, so I bought the SPD-SL pedals with increased spindle length, and it seems to have worked so far. Haven't really gone on a proper ride trying this out yet though, just fit myself with the new pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Twisted Pelvis: Anyone? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have definitely played around with spindle length on my bike fit. I prefer a wider Q factor. Or I seem to anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do, and had a host of problems resulting from decades of compensation, that I'm only now starting to unwind.

long story short, the hip that was torqued rearward started assuming more and more of the work of mobilising, while the forward hip was increasingly hitched along rather than retracting properly.

In my case what helped was lots of single-leg weight bearing, where the forward-side hip has to hinge (steps up and sideways and down off a low gym bench). This will keep it smart.
Quote Reply
Re: Twisted Pelvis: Anyone? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also can't sit on my saddle straight. If I am on the trainer and sit in the correct position I feel like I am falling sideways off the bike. My bike fitter put a wider saddle on my bike which has helped a lot, but I still need to move a little to the left. Lots of core work helps, but maybe I also need to move my cleats. Interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt that it's a serious condition, and I hope you find some good advice to manage it. But I gotta say, "Twisted Pelvis" sounds like an awesome name for a punk rock band.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Twisted Pelvis: Anyone? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
I have no doubt that it's a serious condition, and I hope you find some good advice to manage it. But I gotta say, "Twisted Pelvis" sounds like an awesome name for a punk rock band.

Ha! Have to agree! Twisted Sister certainly was a great name back in the day (millennials look it up).
Quote Reply
Re: Twisted Pelvis: Anyone? [SwimBikeRun35] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwimBikeRun35 wrote:
I also can't sit on my saddle straight. If I am on the trainer and sit in the correct position I feel like I am falling sideways off the bike. My bike fitter put a wider saddle on my bike which has helped a lot, but I still need to move a little to the left. Lots of core work helps, but maybe I also need to move my cleats. Interesting.

Stumbled across some chat about seatposts (FSA K-Force) where I guess mods are made so that the seat can be offset left and right of centerline via the clamping mechanism. I wonder if anybody here has ever experimented with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:
SwimBikeRun35 wrote:

Stumbled across some chat about seatposts (FSA K-Force) where I guess mods are made so that the seat can be offset left and right of centerline via the clamping mechanism. I wonder if anybody here has ever experimented with it?

DOn't think you want to do that.
I've been dealing with this sort of imbalance for years. My issue I believe is similar to what one of the above folks said about one hip not moving properly.
After years of thinking maybe one leg was shorter, I was assessed by a surgeon and sports physio, and they found that one hip was not gliding posteriorly. So when I would bend forward onto the handlebars, that hip would want to move forward instead of rotate. And I've since found that I have CAM/FAI in that hip, which probably caused the bad movement in the first place. No real cure...I try my best to strengthen the glute on that side, massage therapy, rolling, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Twisted Pelvis: Anyone? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found this article (older) that talks about pelvis twist:

https://www.velonews.com/2010/06/coaches-panel/coaches-panel-why-do-knees-often-track-asymetrically_120495

What do the fit gurus think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:
Hi Twitchers,

I have off and on had bouts of SI joint issues. Very recently discovered a simple way to self-assess a twisted pelvis. My left side illium sits back one thumb depth further than the right side.

Has anybody dealt with this and how did you manage it?

Thanks!
G

Hah, as most of you know, my signature move. From years of slalom waterskiing in a twisted position. My goodness if I only knew back then, I would have friggin' stopped. Life long SI problems.

My successful process is:

Phase i: PT and tons of needling to bring back muscles that had turned to "rope"

Phase II: In the gym with a good Trainer who has me working on re-balancing things.

Also hyperice V-sphere has taken the place of needling for now. It's deep tissue!

This week I put some Lucy on my saddle (raised it :) and twisted to the left just to hit my inboard left hip flexor. Feels good!

You might try that, temporarily twist the saddle in which ever direction feels best.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply