Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yes - another critique my bike fit thread (sorry) [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Yes, plenty of studies. Sat up on turbos.

Aero on road? I can’t find any, can you?

You can't find any studies that prove a negative? Weird.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes - another critique my bike fit thread (sorry) [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Yes - another critique my bike fit thread (sorry) [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s not what I’m asking for.

I’m asking for any studies that have been done in aero position on the road, and funnily enough this is where we ACTUALLY ride.

Can you provide any, positive OR negative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
That’s not what I’m asking for.

I’m asking for any studies that have been done in aero position on the road, and funnily enough this is where we ACTUALLY ride.

Can you provide any, positive OR negative.

I think you misunderstand some things, (and you did ask for a study that proves a negative. "Could you provide the evidence that short cranks don’t impact performance." )

But what you really misunderstand is how performance is driven forward. Those who are on the cutting edge of performance don't do it on the backs of those who design and perform studies. Those who design and perform studies do so on the backs of those who are on the cutting edge of performance.

I don't care what studies exist to appease doubters. I am sure enough that shortening cranks improves performance. Somebody can study it enough to appease you or not. I've fit, field tested, been to the tunnel, recorded performance, corroborated with peers, and gathered athlete feedback. I'm good. So if you are looking for your "I told you so moment", yep there it is. I have no studies proving that short cranks don't negatively effect performance on the road in the aero position.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Oct 25, 18 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Yes - another critique my bike fit thread (sorry) [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good good. I didn’t think you would.

Eric any? Tried the search function?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a odd thing to argue about.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes - another critique my bike fit thread (sorry) [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like a odd thing to argue about.

This is ST. Seems like a perfectly normal thing to argue about around here....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That study will never happen. Too many uncontrollable variables due to riding on the road. Just like with wind tunnel testing, studies done in controlled conditions produce results that can be related to uncontrolled conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes - another critique my bike fit thread (sorry) [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed which is why sometimes what gets measured in the tunnel has no bearing on the outside.

My point stands, there are differences between pedalling on a turbo sat up and pedalling in aero on the road. These differences may or may not impact on the interactions that including crank length.

The point I have made countless times is there is more to this than ‘just shorten your cranks’ and just because it works inside doesn’t mean it works outside.

The reason I am being pedantic is because FF is apparently a bike fitter, yet thinks that he can measure a few angles on a static picture and say you need a shorter crank.
I don’t understand how the guys doing remote fits can even give a half decent level of individual service, I think they are doing it to make a fast buck.

FWIW I’m not anti short(er) cranks within reason.
I’m anti sweeping statements with lack of context from people who should know better that may adversely affect someone who takes their advice at face value.
Last edited by: TriByran: Oct 25, 18 9:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He can measure angles and make recommendations largely due to the basis behind Dan's articles on orthodoxy. Physiologically, there is more truth behind the statement that we are all the same than there is to saying we are all different. Therefore, what works for one rider will generally work for others within a small range of variation. Additionally, almost all fitters on this forum often recommend short cranks, so it's not like he's being particularly contrary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Indeed which is why sometimes what gets measured in the tunnel has no bearing on the outside.

My point stands, there are differences between pedalling on a turbo sat up and pedalling in aero on the road. These differences may or may not impact on the interactions that including crank length.

The point I have made countless times is there is more to this than ‘just shorten your cranks’ and just because it works inside doesn’t mean it works outside.

The reason I am being pedantic is because FF is apparently a bike fitter, yet thinks that he can measure a few angles on a static picture and say you need a shorter crank.
I don’t understand how the guys doing remote fits can even give a half decent level of individual service, I think they are doing it to make a fast buck.

FWIW I’m not anti short(er) cranks within reason.
I’m anti sweeping statements with lack of context from people who should know better that may adversely affect someone who takes their advice at face value.

That's not true at all. I can actually measure one angle on a static picture and say you need a shorter crank.

You are going to HATE the book I am writing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, you really are a remarkably bad fitter then.

Let’s hope the poor suckers you duped out of money don’t buy your book either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:

Honest question...Are you a fitter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:

I'm totally quoting you in my "about the author" section.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes - another critique my bike fit thread (sorry) [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing to add here other than this...

im so glad the swim was cancelled. when i came up on the boardwalk for the first run i think my jaw hit the deck at the waves!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next