Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No discs at Kona?
Quote | Reply
I wonder if I'm getting old. Are discs no longer considered the most aerodynamic rear wheel type? I note in the image galleries of the top riders, female and male alike, that none ride a disc. From what I read, the winds were not high enough that it would be a crosswind issue.

I remember when the distinct humming of a disc wheel was the most intimidating thing that could come at you from behind on the bike leg.
Quote Reply
Re: No discs at Kona? [rasken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not allowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discs not allowed in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh! Thanks, I had no idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember well, the rule is that the majority (more than 50%) of wheel surface must be free (no material). So maximum rim depth is probably around 100mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rasken wrote:
I wonder if I'm getting old. Are discs no longer considered the most aerodynamic rear wheel type? I note in the image galleries of the top riders, female and male alike, that none ride a disc. From what I read, the winds were not high enough that it would be a crosswind issue.

I remember when the distinct humming of a disc wheel was the most intimidating thing that could come at you from behind on the bike leg.

Ohhhh, I thought you meant disc brakes at first. Didn't see any of those this year either ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: No discs at Kona? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are discs not allowed, but the guy who led the pro field briefly with aerobars in the preying mantis position and with no base bars allowed to ride like that. That has got to be equally or more unhandleable in the wind than disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: No discs at Kona? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Why are discs not allowed, but the guy who led the pro field briefly with aerobars in the preying mantis position and with no base bars allowed to ride like that. That has got to be equally or more unhandleable in the wind than disc wheel.

Fwiw, he has a base bar, it is just that it morphs into a base bar.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The principal reason, I believe, is for the safety of the competitors. The cross winds, especially in the section up to and back from Hawi, can be crazy strong. One year there, I saw at least half a dozen people down from what presumably was the cross winds. Most of these were towards the back, smaller and older.

I wasn’t there this year without the wind, but it’s been very windy the times I have been there. I’m a BOP as far as Kona goes so I get more than really good Kona athletes (wind picks up as day progresses) but I weigh 180 pounds, and am pretty strong and ride an 808/404 combo and I was extremely nervous. I’m not sure a rear disc would be as bad as a deeper dish front wheel, but at no time did I think I wanted more aero wheels.

That said, I could see some merit in letting pros use them at their discretion.....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: No discs at Kona? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No such rule.
Quote Reply
Re: No discs at Kona? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

$1100!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I would consider those big time except for that silly amount. I can't have bars worth more than my bike. :)
M~
Quote Reply