Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sweat testing
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a quality sweat testing service? I know I sweat a lot for my size based on my own self-tests. I know that I am also a very salty sweater based on salt streaks on my clothes, trisuit, skin, etc. after races or tougher or longer workouts. I want to know two things: (1) my sweat rate (as in actual amount of water or fluid loss); and (2) what and how much I am specifically losing in my sweat (sodium and other electrolytes).

Has anyone used a company for this type of sweat test? Did you finds the results informative? Did it help you plan for and be successful at future races because of a new hydration plan?

Thanks in advance for all responses. Happy training, racing or off-seasoning.
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat testing [rustyb04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Levelen - used them , easy to use and the data is very useful

Helped a huge amount for me as I was unexpectedly very salty
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat testing [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Levelen. Proven science. Call Liv (contact below).

Livingston Cheng
President & CEO
(508) 318-8548
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rustyb04 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a quality sweat testing service? I know I sweat a lot for my size based on my own self-tests. I know that I am also a very salty sweater based on salt streaks on my clothes, trisuit, skin, etc. after races or tougher or longer workouts. I want to know two things: (1) my sweat rate (as in actual amount of water or fluid loss); and (2) what and how much I am specifically losing in my sweat (sodium and other electrolytes).

Has anyone used a company for this type of sweat test? Did you finds the results informative? Did it help you plan for and be successful at future races because of a new hydration plan?

Thanks in advance for all responses. Happy training, racing or off-seasoning.

Save yourself some money and time, weight yourself before and after workout, and you will know exactly how much fluid you lost. With your own scale you can measure sweat rate at different loads eg sweet-spot, threshold tempo etc. every 30min 60 min etc. at any temperature you want, just crank up that furnace.

I would not worry about content since every day that content would be most likley slightly different and generally very close from person to person, and difference of few % makes no difference at all. Get yourself saltsticks http://saltstick.com/product/saltstick-caps/ or just eat more salt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Precision Hydration too. No experience with them but they have testing centers all across the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat testing [Ptchristian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ptchristian wrote:
Levelen. Proven science. Call Liv (contact below).

Livingston Cheng
President & CEO
(508) 318-8548

This is where I am leaning for next season. I have continued to increase my sodium intake for events and warm training and am finally getting the headaches to stop. Meaning: Intake levels are now high enough that a non sports doc would probably gasp!
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat testing [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Levelen has definitely worked well for my wife. She shaved 40 minutes off her time in Kona putting her high on the podium this year.

Better than calling Liv, here is his email: Livcheng@levelen.com

Their sweat testing does include weighing yourself (before and after) and their calculation accounts for what you consumed during the course of the sweat test. ...Her sweat concentration has changed over the past 3 years, and Liv calculated her needs which she supplements during races using a combination of the Levelen drink and salt tabs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To point 1: I did a sodium test with Precision Hydration and found that I was losing a huge amount of it per litre of sweat (1,422mg)
2. Then I built this app to track my sweat loss: Sweat Tracker

I noticed that my sweat loss varies tremendously so I would not trust the data from just one sweat rate test. In fact, with some people, it can vary by as much as 1-1.5 litres per hour.

In that site/app you can sort by things like temperature, distance, run/bike/swim, etc.

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Levelen - used them , easy to use and the data is very useful

Helped a huge amount for me as I was unexpectedly very salty

Did you get their custom hydration based on your results? Or did you started adding more salt to your own hydration?
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat testing [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did buy some but it’s very expensive so went back to salt tablets

For pre load I bought some tablets from precision hydration which were much better value

My nutrition was spot on for Kona

Cheers

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:

For pre load I bought some tablets from precision hydration which were much better value

That's saying something as PH is pretty expensive.

I still use it though because it works!

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Re: Sweat testing [Patterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patterson wrote:
UKINNY wrote:

That's saying something as PH is pretty expensive.

I still use it though because it works!

Exactly what I was thinking.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the Precision Hydration system (was tested at TeamFour3 in NJ). Check out https://www.precisionhydration.com/pages/sweat-testing for info on the test and testing locations. Very happy with recommendations I got and fascinated by the test!
Quote Reply