Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m surprised so many people have an issue with riding aero inside. It takes a couple rides to get used to it but I can sit in aero all day on the trainer and be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is really it. (see ericMPro post)

I think as long as your position is not limiting the adaptations you are after, then aero is sensible for accommodating to that position during work. But if your training goals include efforts that are simply not sustainable in aero, and there are some, then being in aero during that session is likely holding your progress back.

Is it not nearly universal that there's a trade with the aero position in 'lower watts, but lower-yet Cda'? Anyone able to produce more watts in aero assuming your road fit isn't trash?

I think for tri-specific training such as steady state droning away the minutes, aero DOES make the most sense. But things like VO2 work are likely better upright as the limitations from the aero position likely reduce the volume of work.

My partially informed .02.
Last edited by: Emma'sDad: Oct 24, 18 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can stay aero, no issues whatsoever, for 5h outside straight (provided terrain is appropriate).

I can't stay aero for more than 2min on the trainer.

My n=1, but personally I agree with Angela that it is completely different.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always attributed my discomfort in aero indoors being the static nature of the bike, it doesn't gently rock beneath you like it would on the road.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm right there with you Thomas. I got an old P2 on my kickr and either propped up on the hoods, flexing in the mirror, or snapping my fingers to a cheesy dance song. Rarely do I ever spend more than 5-10 seconds in the aero position; mainly because my position is way out of wack on the trainer.

But seriously, age grouper here. I didn't qualify for Kona, but I do pretty decent on the 70.3s. Anyway, I've logged 8,000 miles on my bike this year and I'd say 70% of that has been on zwift on 172 cranks, 20% of it has been on the road bike, and the other 10% has been on a P4 TT bike (155 cranks) and that includes racing. And I will say that I rarely train in aero and have zero issues staying in an aero position for 70.3s and the Ironman this year. I got someone to fit me (he's on slowtwitch) and I'm extremely comfortable on the TT bike. The P4 scares the crap out of me because of the tiny base bar and it can be aggressive, but when I'm racing, it's head down and hold on cause here I come.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody’s different
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

That is why I ask you, ST, is she right?

No
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
jfhdvm wrote:
Fourth fastest bike split for the women in Kona she must know something about training?

This is a very poor approach to deciding what one should do. Very, very poor.

Instead, listen to random anonymous strangers on a mssg board. Very, very good.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many of those who post here are neither random nor anonymous. But yea, good strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I’m surprised so many people have an issue with riding aero inside. It takes a couple rides to get used to it but I can sit in aero all day on the trainer and be fine.

I can do it on my rollers for extended periods of time but I could never do it on my mag trainers. It was torture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
somebody please tag Ryf on that post... I guess she has been doing wrong for years lol /pink

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Everybody’s different

How dare you.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From reading this thread, you'd think that the vast majority of folks don't ride aero on their trainers, yet do fine in HIM and even IM distances, aero all the way.

I might be the outlier that just can't adapt to aero position easily despite having done it several times for HIMs in prior years, but I do have a hunch that more AGers are akin to me in that we need lots of time in aero, be it on the trainer, on on the road, to race comfortably (esp at HIM/IM) in that position.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess if that is the case you might consider a bike fit. You should not be uncomfortable in the aero position on the road at any time. If this happens something is not right at least that has been my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [jfhdvm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jfhdvm wrote:
My guess if that is the case you might consider a bike fit. You should not be uncomfortable in the aero position on the road at any time. If this happens something is not right at least that has been my experience.

I was fitted for my bike when I bought it. Not crazy complex, but goniometer, the basics.

I find it hard to believe that a good aero position with the flattish back position can be instantly comfortable for people without spending some time training it. I also believe you can almost always go 'more aero' as a triathlete, but at some point it comes with cost of comfort and power, thus the pro IM athletes aren't as super low .cda as 1-hr pure cycling time trialists.

As long as I put in reasonable aero training time, no pain, and no watts decreases.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
mickison wrote:
Everybody’s different

How dare you.

Ha! Sorry. We're all identical and what works for one must work for all. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
From reading this thread, you'd think that the vast majority of folks don't ride aero on their trainers, yet do fine in HIM and even IM distances, aero all the way.

I might be the outlier that just can't adapt to aero position easily despite having done it several times for HIMs in prior years, but I do have a hunch that more AGers are akin to me in that we need lots of time in aero, be it on the trainer, on on the road, to race comfortably (esp at HIM/IM) in that position.

I don't know if I require lots of time training in aero but I feel like but definitely some. My fit probably could be more aero but I'm comfortable and not FOP so I don't want to fiddle with something that works well enough. I just make sure the months leading up to events of HIM distance or longer that I spend more than probably half my time training on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree here. For short high intensity intervals you want to get as much out of it as possible, but for developing sustainable power and endurance the position is important so I'd say FTP work, tempo, and longer endurance should primarily be done in the position where you intend to put that into practice. Don't forget you need to be able to run well after riding aero in a race...unless you are someone who only cares about your bike split.

ericMPro wrote:
It depends. From a training stimulus and adaptation point of view, you could argue that there's some merit to doing VO2 work upright on the hoods. From a specificity point of view, doing work while aero is important as you move from general training to specific and getting closer to race day, whatever race that is
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I've gone to one ride a week in aero and four or five a week upright on longer cranks to replicate hip angle".

Longer cranks for road bike indoors going to shorter cranks in aero outside. Now that is a great idea. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic reminds of discussions about fore foot striking, cadence, ect. Sometimes if it works for you, great, otherwise it doesn’t matter. :) For me it doesn’t matter.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc has the street credibility to back what he says, both bike fit and racing..he is one of the few worth listening to round here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I almost never ride aero indoors. I only have one TT bike, it's a real pain getting it on and off the trainer due to the horizontal drop outs, so I prefer to just leave my spare road bike on the trainer most of the time. I also like watching TV while riding indoors and it's a lot more comfortable on my neck and shoulders watching it from a hoods position than from the aero bars.

Doesn't seem to cause me any problems. My aero position is basically just my road position rotated forwards - from race pics my body and leg angles when I'm down on the drops on my road bike and perching on the front of my saddle are almost identical to my aero position on the TT bike, and when on the trainer I tend to do the harder intensity work on the drops so I'm getting enough specificity. I tend to ride the TT bike outdoors 1-2 times per week, and mostly longer sweet spot or threshold intervals which correlates well to how I race on the TT bike. Shorter intervals above FTP are done either indoors or outdoors on the road bike. That seems to be enough time for my body to adapt to the TT position, without all the hassle of constantly swapping bikes on and off the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth Post about riding aero indoors [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree here too. Granted my thoughts echo my coach Jonnyo but I am way more comfortable in aero than riding my road bike or on the basebar on my TT bike. If I am doing shorter intervals I will probably stay out of aero to get the most out of it or if I am doing a Zwift race as well, which I need to quit doing probably...But for longer intervals or just riding on the trainer I am pretty much always in the aero position. But again, for me I am way more comfortable that way.

TH3_FRB wrote:
Definitely agree here. For short high intensity intervals you want to get as much out of it as possible, but for developing sustainable power and endurance the position is important so I'd say FTP work, tempo, and longer endurance should primarily be done in the position where you intend to put that into practice. Don't forget you need to be able to run well after riding aero in a race...unless you are someone who only cares about your bike split.

ericMPro wrote:
It depends. From a training stimulus and adaptation point of view, you could argue that there's some merit to doing VO2 work upright on the hoods. From a specificity point of view, doing work while aero is important as you move from general training to specific and getting closer to race day, whatever race that is

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps pertinent to this discussion here is a piece STAC Performance just published that I wrote in relation to Cody Beals......

https://stacperformance.blogspot.com/...ss-for-cody.html?m=1

Regards

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next